Latest dumb criminal - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Latest dumb criminal

Moderator: Football Moderators

Latest dumb criminal

Postby stomperrob » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:56 am

Police Find Meth Lab After Man Misdials

ESCATAWPA, Miss. — A man trying to call a news station to complain about not getting a FEMA trailer after Hurricane Katrina accidentally dialed 911 and was charged with making methamphetamine after police arrived, authorities said.

Curtiss Randall Coleman was trying to get the number for Biloxi's WLOX-TV on Wednesday just before the 6 p.m. newscast, investigators said. He misdialed when trying to reach directory information and called 911 instead of 411.

When he hung up on the emergency dispatcher, the Jackson County Sheriff's Department was sent to the home to see if anyone was in need of assistance.

Deputies said that when they arrived at Coleman's house, no one answered the door. Officers broke in and allegedly found a methamphetamine lab.

Coleman, 53, and four others were arrested, including Coleman's son, Christopher, 30. A fifth suspect remains at large.

"It was a calamity of errors on Mr. Coleman's part," said Sgt. Curtis Spears, commander of the Narcotics Task Force of Jackson County.

Along with the Colemans, narcotics agents also arrested Erin Paula Oliver, 35, of Moss Point, and Leslie Renee McMahon, 27, of Ocean Springs. All four were charged with conspiracy to manufacture meth.

A person who answered the phone at the Jackson County jail declined to say whether Coleman and the others had attorneys.

___

September 6, 2007 - 8:12 p.m. MDT

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Latest dumb criminal

Postby treat24 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:00 am

wow, that is the dumbest crap, at least tell the 911 dispatcher you meant to call 411, then none of that woulda happened geesh :-°
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby josebach » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:45 am

You know, I bet this type of thing happens quite frequently. I know in this case it was a mistake, but I bet lots of people calling 911 when they need help completely forget that they themselves may be breaking a law. Most people calling 911 don't usually stop and think it through first, you know?

Interesting.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:56 am

That is awesome. :-b

I never thought about that before though. Like Jose said, I bet mis-dialing 411 happens pretty frequently. :-?
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mystykoekaki » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:31 pm

Fat fingers my friend.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:35 pm

So dumb. If he just said he called the wrong number, it's all avoided.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby stomperrob » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:15 am

And something most people don't realize - when you hang up on 911, it doesn't disconnect - it can only be disconnected from their end when they decide to end the call.
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:22 am

stomperrob wrote:And something most people don't realize - when you hang up on 911, it doesn't disconnect - it can only be disconnected from their end when they decide to end the call.

So they can still hear what is going on? That's crazy! Yet really cool. So if you are ever in a bind where you can't talk, dial 911 on your cell phone and then just close the phone and they could still be connected?
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:00 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:
stomperrob wrote:And something most people don't realize - when you hang up on 911, it doesn't disconnect - it can only be disconnected from their end when they decide to end the call.

So they can still hear what is going on? That's crazy! Yet really cool. So if you are ever in a bind where you can't talk, dial 911 on your cell phone and then just close the phone and they could still be connected?

Not sure how your phone works, but I don't tink they would be able to hear you if ya closed your phone - it just wouldn't be disconnected - made it easy to trace in the days before call display and also keep victim connected.
stomperrob

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:13 pm

mystykoekaki wrote:Fat fingers my friend.

:-b
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to General Talk