Cafe members who drop out after drafts should be banned? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cafe members who drop out after drafts should be banned?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Cafe members who drop out after drafts should be banned?

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:49 pm

Mod edit
2011 FFB Totals
Terrible at everything, and a liar.
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Cafe members who drop out after drafts should be banned?

Postby maddog60 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:39 pm

There are legit reasons why some people drop out. If they didnt actually have any, and not you assume they didnt have any because you dont know either way, rather they are still quite active in some leagues and have just begun ignoring other leagues, then they definitely deserve to be blacklisted. Banned is a bit harsh, because there's no way for a site admin to know which side is telling the truth. Something similar to what is done with PBCs would work well though.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby J35J » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:46 pm

Sadly this happens quite a bit! I'll call out "The Artful Dodger" in the light side vs the dark side challenge. He even admitted that he dropped that team because his other 4 teams were in better shape....he said it like it wasn't really a big deal!? :-t

The Artful Dodger wrote:Yeah, nothing had seemed to go right in the Challenge for me even with the spot-on players I had (i.e. Verlander, Webb, Holliday) and with the slow starters (i.e. Berkman, Kazmir). It didn't help things when I used a #1 waiver on Gallardo instead of Braun and with Chipper injured after a magnificent start. I punted it knowing I had 4 or 5 other leagues I was more competitive in. :-o I never failed to make the playoffs in H2H, but there's a first time for everything I suppose.

Good luck in the playoffs, all. ;-D
J35J
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:34 pm

There are legit reasons why some people drop out. If they didnt actually have any, and not you assume they didnt have any because you dont know either way, rather they are still quite active in some leagues and have just begun ignoring other leagues, then they definitely deserve to be blacklisted. Banned is a bit harsh, because there's no way for a site admin to know which side is telling the truth. Something similar to what is done with PBCs would work well though.

Okay... sounds good to me. If those owners have signed on to do other stuff, or continue to post on the Cafe, while ignoring their long overdue drafting.... isn't that enough proof... while also ignoring numerous Cafe PMs from league members too?

Anyway, if I was talking about newbies, I wouldn't be posting this.

Maybe we need an anual dropout 2nd week league here on the Cafe to support those of us who are hosed by Cafe members who hose us?
2011 FFB Totals
Terrible at everything, and a liar.
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Postby EWSPECIALTY » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:10 pm

If there are any orphaned teams i will gladly take one or two on. Its too fun to pass. If the team consists of all back up players and #3 WR's i may thing twice. But if you need an owner to help keep a league running i'm game.

Just thought i would let someone know.
Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Doing Right!
EWSPECIALTY
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FatFoot » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:41 pm

Ditto. If there are "okay" teams in your league and owners have vanished, drop a PM, and I'll be happy to take one over, if it's a free league.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby wbgrafix » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:46 pm

I have come to the realization that there are people out there who simply enjoy the thrill of the draft and that's it. Mock drafts don't seem to do it for them. It has to be actual ones. This is why I usually get in leagues where it costs $50 and up because I know everyone will pay attention with so much money at stake. I got into a $15 one and sure enough, some idiot took Favre in the first round.
wbgrafix
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:28 pm

As a general rule I never join an online league unless it's a private league and I "know" all the members, or it's populated by Cafe regulars with 1,000 posts or more, that I see around all the time...

Maybe you should think about instituting the same kind of policy...

I don't think we are going to institute a policy of banning inactive members... There is a very definite list of ban-able offenses, and dropping out of a league simply isn't one of them...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby aaawall91 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:55 pm

wbgrafix wrote:I have come to the realization that there are people out there who simply enjoy the thrill of the draft and that's it. Mock drafts don't seem to do it for them. It has to be actual ones. This is why I usually get in leagues where it costs $50 and up because I know everyone will pay attention with so much money at stake. I got into a $15 one and sure enough, some idiot took Favre in the first round.

I am one who drafting is their crack, yes I finish out all my leagues to the best of my ability...but I love drafting more than anything.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:26 am

Another thing that pisses me off is when a league is set up and you waste countless hours voting on the rules then it flames out right before the draft.

All you can do is learn from it. Plindsey had a great idea. Don't play in them unless you know everyone in the league. And if it happens learn from it and don't play with those guys again.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Next

Return to Football Talk