Should I veto? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Should I veto?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Should I veto?

Postby bbalevic23 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:48 pm

I am the commish of my league and I set vetoing rules. The rules were to only veto if collusion is involved or its a VERY lopsided trade and makes no sense. Anyway, 2 managers made a trade in the league and I see it as VERY lopsided. I am wondering if you guys do as well and wondered if you think its worth a veto. thanks

Team a gets Ronnie Brown

Team b gets Lendale White

12 team yahoo h2h league non keeper. 6 points for all tds, 20 yards per point rushing and receiving.
bbalevic23
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Should I veto?

Postby Atog » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:02 pm

Right now it's vetoable but all that could change in a week.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby jdogg_ffc » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:40 pm

I'd say no, its lopsided but not terrible. They both are starting RBs.

I imagine the trade won't go through till after the weekend might as well wait till they both play and see what happens before you veto.
First the Shock, then the Pistons can the Lions be next?

Well maybe next yr.

PS I didn't lose a paper bag challenge but somehow as a Lion's fan it just feels right.
jdogg_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Santacruzer » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:22 pm

Tough one. I don't think it's very even, but at the same time I can see why someone might consider this.

If possible, I would veto the trade for now, but if the owners involved can make a good argument to you and the rest of the league as to why each of them would consider this trade themselves, they you can allow this to go through.
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Payne Dailey » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:53 pm

Some days you just have to let the guys run their own teams. Who knows whats going through their minds. It's not collusion as far as I can tell so I'd let it pass.
Payne Dailey
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sweeper193 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:07 pm

no way you can veto this trade. the owner trading ronnie brown might think that chatman will take away enough carries to really hurt his stats and that white might win the starting job and have a break out season.. just cus you and i might not agree doesn't me he can't think that way
sweeper193
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Felix the Cat » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:40 am

Definitely not veto material. As Payne Dailey said, you have to let owners manage their own teams. It's not your job to be Big Brother and look over everyone's shoulder to make sure everyone is doing what you subjectively think is the best for them.

Some reasons why one might prefer LenDale White over Ronnie Brown:
-Tennessee's offense looks to be much more dynamic than Miami's.
-Vince Young is a better quarterback than Trent Green and will open up things for the RB more.
-Ronnie Brown may have already proven to be mediocre. LenDale White hasn't proven that yet.
-Miami may be playing from behind more than Tennessee, and so Miami may have fewer total carries for RBs than Tennessee.
-IIRC Miami has a pretty tough run schedule (this is just from memory); Tennessee may have an easier one.
-Jesse Chatman could steal carries from Ronnie Brown. One possibility is that he would steal goal-line carries, so that Brown is not injured again. LenDale White will presumably have goal-line duty in Tennessee rather than Chris Brown.
-LenDale White may have a higher ceiling than Ronnie Brown.

Obviously these are all debatable - that's not the point. Most things are debatable.

Bottom line here: groupthink is unfortunately much too big of a factor in fantasy football; people feel compelled to go with "common knowledge" in terms of player valuation; just because someone runs contrary to the common perception does not mean that he is a bad manager; everyone is entitled to his own way of ranking and valuing players; it is not the commissioner's job to determine how each manager must rank and value players.

If this trade were vetoed in my league, I would likely immediately seek a replacement for my own team.

When I read "trades may be vetoed if they are very lopsided" in a league's rules, I presume it to mean that something like the following trade would be vetoed:
Team A Receives:
LaDainian Tomlinson

Team B Receives:
Taco Wallace
Felix the Cat
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby ttwarrior1 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:55 pm

yes you veto and email the whole league to veto and cuss the guy out for doing it
ttwarrior1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Commissioner's Corner