Should Maroney owners be nervous? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Should Maroney owners be nervous?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Should Maroney owners be nervous?

Postby Blitzburgh2001 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:54 pm

Evans vultured a TD, and Morris took some carries as well.

Maybe I should have expected this when I drafted him, but is this a sign of things to come? Does anyone see him losing his TDs to freakin Heath Evans and Sammy Morris?? I might trade him for Portis.
QB - Manning, Ben Roth, Campbell
RB - Henry, T Jones, D Ward, B-Jax, Betts, B Jacobs, Selvin Young
WR - Lee Evans, Colston, Driver, Cotchery, Brandon Marshall
TE - Heap
K - Elam
DEF - Chicago
Blitzburgh2001
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Should Maroney owners be nervous?

Postby dgan » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:18 pm

I expect them to ease him into the season. There will be weeks like this, especially early on. Plus, it was a blowout. There really was no reason to work him. It was like a preseason game for him.

You'll be thankful for this in a few weeks when all the other RBs are beaten up and Maroney is fresh and starts to benefit from all the points the Pats are going to score this year. Just be patient. I'm happy...this is worst case scenario (aside from injury) and he still got 20 carries. When he gets some TDs and some receptions mixed in there and starts carrying more of the load, we're in business. ;-D
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby skibrett15 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:18 am

dgan wrote:I expect them to ease him into the season. There will be weeks like this, especially early on. Plus, it was a blowout. There really was no reason to work him. It was like a preseason game for him.

You'll be thankful for this in a few weeks when all the other RBs are beaten up and Maroney is fresh and starts to benefit from all the points the Pats are going to score this year. Just be patient. I'm happy...this is worst case scenario (aside from injury) and he still got 20 carries. When he gets some TDs and some receptions mixed in there and starts carrying more of the load, we're in business. ;-D

Agree with this here, but it might be really frustrating when Sammy Morris get's a bunch of carries in a row. I think they signed him for a reason. I also think he's ownable in some leagues even for non maroney owners.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby moochman » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:35 am

I would be very concerned if I were a Maroney owner. The Pats don't care about stats. They do care about keeping their backs fresh. Faulk and Morris are more than able to continue to steal carries from Maroney. Oh, and Brady isn't shy about throwing for TDs when they are there to be had. Yeah, I'd be nervous.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby B-eAsy510 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:47 am

Be happy he got 20 carries. If he would have broke 1 or 2 of those for long runs or TD's everyone would be singing a different song. And he WILL break some this year. All of you who are ready to trade your teams away need to relax and work on that anxiety problem your having. Be patient. I started 0-4 last year but caught fire and made the playoffs down the stretch.
B-eAsy510
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Blitzburgh2001 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:36 pm

B-eAsy510 wrote:Be happy he got 20 carries. If he would have broke 1 or 2 of those for long runs or TD's everyone would be singing a different song. And he WILL break some this year. All of you who are ready to trade your teams away need to relax and work on that anxiety problem your having. Be patient. I started 0-4 last year but caught fire and made the playoffs down the stretch.

I know its early, but I'm in PPR league that gives a point for every 15 yards rushing and receiving. I was expecting Maroney to be a big part of the passing game and score some TDs. But now I am starting to think that its a bad idea to rely on him as a #2 back if 4 diff backs are going to touch the ball in NE. The Health Evans BS is what really got me. Im ready to dump him now before it gets worse.
TE - Heap
K - Elam
DEF - Chicago
Blitzburgh2001
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby gtabaplayr » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:18 pm

Blitzburgh2001 wrote:
B-eAsy510 wrote:Be happy he got 20 carries. If he would have broke 1 or 2 of those for long runs or TD's everyone would be singing a different song. And he WILL break some this year. All of you who are ready to trade your teams away need to relax and work on that anxiety problem your having. Be patient. I started 0-4 last year but caught fire and made the playoffs down the stretch.

I know its early, but I'm in PPR league that gives a point for every 15 yards rushing and receiving. I was expecting Maroney to be a big part of the passing game and score some TDs. But now I am starting to think that its a bad idea to rely on him as a #2 back if 4 diff backs are going to touch the ball in NE. The Health Evans BS is what really got me. Im ready to dump him now before it gets worse.

How was the Health Evans touchdown BS?

The game was already over, and the ball was on the half yard line. Why take the risk of pounding it in there with your franchise back in his first full game as a starter. Maroney will probably get 20 carries a game and not much more. They will use Morris to run down the clock with big leads and Faulk to catch screen passes. Maroney seems to be in a pretty comparable situation to Portis right now.

Right now Maroney is a low end #1 RB in a non-PPR league an a high #2 RB if you are in a PPR league. I'm not sure what you were expecting out of him this year. He isn't going to carry your team, but I would suspect that he's going to give you between 70-110yds per game 1 or 2 catches and he'll probably score 12 times this year.
gtabaplayr
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mikus » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:43 pm

gtabaplayr wrote:
Blitzburgh2001 wrote:

How was the Health Evans touchdown BS?

The game was already over, and the ball was on the half yard line. Why take the risk of pounding it in there with your franchise back in his first full game as a starter. Maroney will probably get 20 carries a game and not much more. They will use Morris to run down the clock with big leads and Faulk to catch screen passes. Maroney seems to be in a pretty comparable situation to Portis right now.

Right now Maroney is a low end #1 RB in a non-PPR league an a high #2 RB if you are in a PPR league. I'm not sure what you were expecting out of him this year. He isn't going to carry your team, but I would suspect that he's going to give you between 70-110yds per game 1 or 2 catches and he'll probably score 12 times this year.

^^^ Bang! You nailed it. I think the expectations for Maroney were a little too high this year. He is going to be a solid guy on your team, maybe a few spectacular weeks with multiple TDs, but consistent is the key. He is not going to be LT. The Patriots always have used the crap out of the RBs on their team, and I saw no reason for that to change this year.

I really would not worry much about Maroney, unless you are expecting him alone to carry your fantasy football team ... then I would worry!
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby Blitzburgh2001 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:39 pm

... is he more valuable than Thomas Jones right now?
TE - Heap
K - Elam
DEF - Chicago
Blitzburgh2001
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby JasonSeahorn » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:10 pm

yes i'd rather have maroney than thomas jones...pats offense is high powered so he'll still put up points.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk