Pats stealing jets signals? ... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Pats stealing jets signals? ...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Pats stealing jets signals? ...

Postby Kilroy » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:58 am

knapplc wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
If you insist that I go back through that post, line by line, showing where it is based on opinion and not fact then I will... but tomorrow, not tonight.

I'm not asking for where it's fact or opinion, I'm asking you to find me where it isn't logical. And yes, I will gladly give you to tomorrow to do so.

I give up. I'm too bored with this subject to do this.

You are right and I am wrong. Groovy?

Wait, does this mean no beer of beef jerky? :,-(

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:59 am

Kilroy1872 wrote:Wait, does this mean no beer of beef jerky? :,-(

There's always room for beer and beef jerky. ;-)
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:13 am

Just got caught up with this thread and this post by knapp stood out to me:

In the grand scheme of things I don't feel that what the Pats did here was as bad as when Albert Haynesworth stomped on Gurode's face last season. They aren't intentionally trying to harm anyone. There is no evidence to show that any player was hurt, intentionally or unintentionally, by what the Patsies did.

It is really impossible to compare the 2 because:

1. 1 was physical. The other was not.
2. 1 was premeditated and the other probably was not.

Depending on your definition of harm, you could say that the Pats were trying to harm the Jets in this instance. Not physically but in the standings.

Weren't they warned about this in the past?? Seems like they felt that they were bulletproof.
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eaglesrule » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:31 am

Lofunzo wrote:Just got caught up with this thread and this post by knapp stood out to me:

In the grand scheme of things I don't feel that what the Pats did here was as bad as when Albert Haynesworth stomped on Gurode's face last season. They aren't intentionally trying to harm anyone. There is no evidence to show that any player was hurt, intentionally or unintentionally, by what the Patsies did.

It is really impossible to compare the 2 because:

1. 1 was physical. The other was not.
2. 1 was premeditated and the other probably was not.

Depending on your definition of harm, you could say that the Pats were trying to harm the Jets in this instance. Not physically but in the standings.

Weren't they warned about this in the past?? Seems like they felt that they were bulletproof.

True. And I think in that example not only was there a premeditated factor, but one was systemic, and one was individual. Now, if a team has a policy of constantly stomping on players, taking penalties in exchange for injuring opponents, then we might have something.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby FatFoot » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:38 am

I think that stomping on people's heads and illegal videotaping of defensive signals both suck.

But that's just me. I have room in the gaping abyss where my soul should be, to keep track of many things which suck.

Just let me know if you are ever unsure of something that sucks. I will help you.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:43 am

I have mostly stayed out of the discussion here, but have read most of what has been posted. I don't see what the big deal on the arguments is. It's cut and dry in my mind.

The league said not to have cameras on the sidelines in the owners meetings this season. The Patriots did. They were caught. They get punished. We move on with the season. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Custer » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:44 am

For me, this whole situation just shows that most people are using this as an excuse to justify their dislike(hatred) for the Pats. The only thing that the Pats did wrong was use a camera. If they used a telescope and a guy with photographic memory, no rules would have been broken. Stealing signals is not breaking the rules. What suprises me most is that no has brought this up.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2696227

I don't remember to much outrage about this(throw me a link if I am wrong). The only difference I see it that the Pats used video and the Dolphins used audio.

I really think losing a first round pick is too much, would have rather have seen a punishment that focused more on BB than the team. If BB leaves at the end of this year, the team will still suffer from something that he did.

What bothers me more is the thought that the Pats were screwing with the communications of the other teams during home games. That, to me, is a lot worse that this 'tapegate' situtaion....

anyway, just my 2 cents....
Custer
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby treat24 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:47 am

yeah those are two VERY VERY different things... hoodie was cheating the NFL, the game, and the teams he played... the face stomp was a poor decision made in the heat of a game and anger...

i just don't think they can even be compared...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby stomperrob » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:37 pm

The Pats were told it was illegal last year when the Lions were in town (from SI):

Last year the Lions played the Patriots in Foxboro. At one point Detroit's coach, Rod Marinelli, phoned up to the press box, 'There's a camera pointed right at our defensive coach making his calls. Is that allowed?' A Lions employee called the NFL booth. No, it certainly was not. So the videotaper was stopped. Then after a while he began again. The same process was repeated and he was asked to stop again. Now that's dedication."

si.com/email/siextra/2007/09/14/
By Mark Beech, Richard Deitsch and David Sabino
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby treat24 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:42 pm

stomperrob wrote:The Pats were told it was illegal last year when the Lions were in town (from SI):

Last year the Lions played the Patriots in Foxboro. At one point Detroit's coach, Rod Marinelli, phoned up to the press box, 'There's a camera pointed right at our defensive coach making his calls. Is that allowed?' A Lions employee called the NFL booth. No, it certainly was not. So the videotaper was stopped. Then after a while he began again. The same process was repeated and he was asked to stop again. Now that's dedication."

si.com/email/siextra/2007/09/14/
By Mark Beech, Richard Deitsch and David Sabino

against the lions... man, imagine how much bellicheat did against better teams and in the playoffs
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk