owner b\tching about PPR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

owner b\tching about PPR

Moderator: Football Moderators

owner b\tching about PPR

Postby Triplec223 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:46 pm

One of the owners in our 12-team PPR league just became aware of the 1 PPR scoring rule, and isn't very happy. His team got smashed this week because his starting receivers were Eddie Kennison, DJ Hackett and Reggie Brown (combined for 2 catches, less than 20 yards and 2 of them got hurt).

Anyway, he has posted a few messages about how getting 1 point per catch is BS because even if a RB catches a ball and loses yards, he still gets a point. I tried to tell him that he had the same access to the scoring system before the draft as everybody else (it was well publicized too), but he continues to bitch about it. Says that six catches on swing passes shouldn't equal a touchdown, etc., etc.

Any suggestions as to how to handle this? He is really the only owner that has expressed dissatisfaction with the rule, though another said he was unaware as well and would have drafted differently if he knew. I could say tough sh\t, but I really don't want to sour him on the league and risk him becoming inactive. Any suggestions?
Triplec223
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: owner b\tching about PPR

Postby drhanl » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:46 pm

it sounds to me that if your starting WR's are that bunch, it doesn't make a lot of difference if it is a ppr or not.

I think that he is probably just causing a stink to save his pride. Keep handling it the way you are. Just explain to him again that he had the same access to the rules as everyone else, and I'm sure that he will come around and see that you did nothing wrong. i wouldn't tell him off and risk him becoming inactive.
drhanl
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 65)

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:31 pm

Tell him that it's his own fault that he didn't pay attention to the rules and that if he wanted to complain he should've done it before the draft, not after his receivers sucked week one.

I feel absolutely no sympathy for the guy, and you shouldn't either.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby kyguy78 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:45 pm

Exactly. I make it a point to know as much as I can about the scoring system before the draft. It's this guy's fault for not paying any attention to scoring. It doesn't matter what he thinks about swing passes, etc. because the other owners in your league are fine with it.

"Just when you think you know the answers, I change the questions!"
kyguy78
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby dream_017 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:53 am

steelerfan513 wrote:Tell him that it's his own fault that he didn't pay attention to the rules and that if he wanted to complain he should've done it before the draft, not after his receivers sucked week one.

I feel absolutely no sympathy for the guy, and you shouldn't either.

Exactly ;-D

Also, we added it to my work league this year (.5 PPR), a couple people were hesitant, so I went back to last year and took 3 weeks and looked at the scores, none of the outcomes in those 3 weeks would have changed due to PPR :-? I think people actually make a bigger deal out of it than they need to. Sure there may be a few games that it makes a difference, but relatively speaking it has no bearing on the final outcome
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby knapplc » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:41 am

How long prior to the draft were the rules available? If it was five minutes then he has a gripe. If it was a week or more, he has no room to complain and he needs to shut up.

It is the responsibility of each individual owner to make themselves aware of the rules. If there is a rules change then the Commish has the obligation of making the league aware of the change within a reasonable amount of time (and your league should determine what that timeframe is).

I have never had any sympathy for an owner who does not take the basic steps to make themselves aware of the rules. I personally have dropped the ball in new leagues about rules, and I sucked it up because it was my fault. No whining allowed.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Triplec223 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:40 am

The rules were available for viewing about 3-4 weeks before the draft. I also sent out an email detailing all the scoring about a week and a half beforehand, specifically letting everyone know that you'd get 1 PPR this year.

Just for the record, he's over it now. He's just pissed off that he has to deal with such a crappy team for the whole season. Last year was his first in the league and I think his first in fantasy football, and he won with an autodrafted team (a FLUKE because all the right players just fell into his lap on draft day - bulger, Steven jackson, Gates, etc.). Anyway, the issue is resolved. Thanks for the input.
Triplec223
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)

Return to Commissioner's Corner