Shouldn't MBIII be the feature back? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Shouldn't MBIII be the feature back?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Shouldn't MBIII be the feature back?

Postby Doughhead » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:03 pm

I don't really understand why Dallas gives Julius Jones the majority of the carries and uses Marion Barber in a change-of-pace/third down/goalline role. Now, I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but to me, the roles should be reversed. Watching the game last night, Barber just seems so much more explosive and dynamic. He looks like a threat on almost every carry. JJ looked alright, but Barber seems like he has the potential to be something special. (I should qualify that I'm a JJ owner and that I don't own Barber, so it's not that I'm frustrated. It just seems that Barber is the better back.)
Doughhead
Doughhead
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Shouldn't MBIII be the feature back?

Postby John Bonzo » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:13 pm

Well, Barber is a tougher and smarter runner with a nose for the end zone and getting those few extra yards needed. He is also the better receiver out of the two, hence his 3rd down role. Jones is more of a home run runner, with more speed and a bigger chance of breaking a long one.

It would make no sense to reverse their roles; the only other thing that would make sense would be to have Barber as the sole feature back and Jones as the backup. Personally I like how they have it now, as it keeps them both fresher and both are good at their roles.
John Bonzo
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby matmat » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:28 pm

hmmm... see, i always thought jones was more of the bruiser (and still don't understand why the cowboys don't have him punch up the middle on third and short).
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby eaglesfan » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:45 pm

It was brought up last night on the telecast....why is MBIII the short yardage back? his % was awful on 3 & 1 and 4 & 1...Roles should be reversed or at least split.
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
W. Welker - R. Cobb - H. Nicks
M. Forte - D. Sproles - CJ Spiller - S. Ridley
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TN_Titans_05 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:50 pm

As an MBIII owner I would of course love more carries but as you said "if it aint broke dont fix it". Sure is exciting to have him as a flex payer though because he can go more than half the game with 0 points and then on one drive rack up the points. :-o

C-H-A-M-P-I-O-N-S-H-I-P
TN_Titans_05
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:46 pm

Yeah, I think the fact that its working is the only reason we don't see a change. I like the way it is now cause it works. I have always touted Jones over Barber, but the longer I go, Barber is looking more and more like the better back.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JasonSeahorn » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:39 pm

Marion did great his rookie year when JJ got injured....but since they are paying JJ starter money they might as well use him like one. Plus, the cowboys rushing attack is great with this combination so the coaches aren't gonna change it if it works.

Marion might not be converting the short yardage situations well...but it's not like JJ is a big power back either. JJ is great for bouncing to the perimeter and then breaking for a huge yard gain/td. I personally like Marion more, and would rather own marion in most fantasy formats.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flyn high again » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:07 pm

I own them both and use MB3 as a RB2 and Jones as a back up and bench warmer. I'll take 15 points for a RBBC RB. Now, if one of them gets hurt, the other one's value heads for the clouds.
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:05 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:Yeah, I think the fact that its working is the only reason we don't see a change. I like the way it is now cause it works. I have always touted Jones over Barber, but the longer I go, Barber is looking more and more like the better back.

I'm in the same camp. I've been a JJ guy the whole time but I'm moving more and more towards the other side the more I watch (and I've yet to see an MB3 guy say they are moving to the JJ side after seeing them play).

JJ is supposed to be faster? He certainly doesn't look the part..
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby thriftyrocker » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:43 pm

Is there any way we can all send peanuts to Wade or Jerry?
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Next

Return to Football Talk