Where's the love for Portis? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Where's the love for Portis?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Where's the love for Portis?

Postby Lordrevolution » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:45 am

After an entire preseason of naysaying, he goes off for 98 yards on 17 attempts and a TD (while Betts had 59 yards on 17), and there's not a single post about how you all were wrong, and I'm a genious for having him on every single one of my big money teams.

Seriously though, when's my man gettin the fantasy love?
Lordrevolution
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Where's the love for Portis?

Postby moonhead » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:57 am

i have him on most of my teams as well. but he wasn't spectacular. he struggled early on, and broke out late, most likely due to the fact that the sharing kept him fresh. when he starts to see the majority of the carries, then i'll start to sing his praises. but i'm with you on the portis argument. i think a few people will have a nice plate of crow to eat. but i'm sure i do on some chump i was wrong about this year too.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Lordrevolution » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:07 am

I like him being a 20-25 carry back, with Betts getting 10-15 during the game. Think it'll keep him fresh and uninjured. But I don't see how he doesn't go 1500 yards and 14 TDs this season, basically making him a first round pick.
Lordrevolution
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jmog » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:28 am

Let's just say that I got basically laughed at when I took Edge and Portis as my #2 and #3 RBs respectively.

Now I'm sitting pretty with
Alexander
Edge
Portis
MJD
Betts

as my 5 RBs in a start 2 RB league.

Right now I'm starting Alexander and Edge and they both had good games this week, but if Portis ever gets up over the 20 carry mark he may pass Edge, who knows.

The only "problem" is that Alexander and Edge have the same bye week, so in that week I'll "have" to start both Portis and MJD, wow what a big "problem" to have huh?

I just hope Gibbs realizes that as Portis gets into game shape that Betts is needed less and less.
jmog
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 25)

Postby WickedSmaat » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:28 am

Yeah, I'm really down on him for keeping up with his 1 TD a game average from last year.
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby moonhead » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:32 am

WickedSmaat wrote:Yeah, I'm really down on him for keeping up with his 1 TD a game average from last year.

he's on pace this year! :-b
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Humpback » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:54 am

I wouldn't say he "went off". He had 97 yards in an overtime game (34 of those yards came in overtime). He had the same number of carries as Betts, which wouldn't thrill me as a Portis owner. One pretty good game doesn't make a season. If he continues to split carries with Betts, he will be a #2 or #3 RB- he won't put up too many great games only getting 17 touches (including overtime) per game. Now, his % may increase in future games since he didn't participate in pre-season, but that'll be the key stat to me (including goal lines).
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby WickedSmaat » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:37 am

Humpback wrote:I wouldn't say he "went off". He had 97 yards in an overtime game (34 of those yards came in overtime). He had the same number of carries as Betts, which wouldn't thrill me as a Portis owner. One pretty good game doesn't make a season. If he continues to split carries with Betts, he will be a #2 or #3 RB- he won't put up too many great games only getting 17 touches (including overtime) per game. Now, his % may increase in future games since he didn't participate in pre-season, but that'll be the key stat to me (including goal lines).

Why would you think that Betts would steal his goallines? This is one thing I've never understood coming out of the skeptics....

I'm looking forward to being able to watch a whole game next Monday against the Eagles to see how they're really using him than rather to just look at stats.

The one thing that I don't ever see happening is Betts ever taking the job over a healthy Portis, or atleast even a Portis that can play in the game injured or not. And I don't see why he wouldn't be getting more carries in the future the stronger he gets as the season goes on. Portis will be a top 10 RB even with Betts sniping his carries. He just won't ever grab that ever elusive top tier with Betts there.
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby XHendrix » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:34 pm

Lol know what you're talking about before you post. Bett's does not get goal line carries, it was even reported that if the two were splitting time, portis was the one coming in on goal line. You will see through the year Portis gradually increasing his carries until he is the clear cut number one(by week 4 or 5).
XHendrix
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:59 pm

LOL@Betts getting goal line carries, not going to happen...portis showed why he is a stud on sunday, i expect the carries to be split, but portis dod more then his then betts, its going to shift more in portis favor by next week vs philly, i traded for him in 2 of my 3 leagues because i know he was getting slept on, sure enough it payed off and ill be starting him with alexander from here on out for a pretty solid RB combo
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer