Using a WR in the Flex spot? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Using a WR in the Flex spot?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Using a WR in the Flex spot?

Postby Doughhead » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:18 am

My league starts 2 RBs, 3 WRs, and a Flex (RB/WR). In the past, I've always seen starting a WR in the Flex spot as a big no-no, didn't really even consider it as an option. But this year, I ended up with a gaggle of borderline flex backs (Foster, DeAngelo, JJ, BJax...). None of them seem starter quality.

So is it crazy to use someone like Calvin Johnson or Braylon Edwards in that spot (my starting WRs are Javon, AJ, and Driver)? I've never done it before and it just seems like a bad idea--but I can't really think of a good reason why I should bench those solid receivers over my borderline backs?

(I don't mean this to be a Who to Start question--I'm more just using my specific circumstances as an example. I'm curious to know how you guys feel about using a WR as a Flex as a general rule).

Thanks.
Doughhead
Doughhead
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Using a WR in the Flex spot?

Postby knapplc » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:20 am

It's absolutley not crazy. Last week my choice for Flex was Houshmandzadeh or LaMont Jordan. I put Housh in there without thinking twice. Sure Jordan outscored him 2-1, but he's been so unpredictable lately that there's no way I was going to put him in without seeing what happened first.

I won anyway, but the strategic thought behind the move was sound.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dream_017 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:36 am

It all depends on situation ans who the players are. Obviously all things being equal you go with the RB, because he will get the most touches and opportunities, but it is not set in stone to always start a RB.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:54 am

i hate that people default to rb in these situation. It's not crazy if you are stacked at WR. Granted, they tend to have big games, then less big games, but if you look at the stats/points, if you have three elite-to very good wrs, then it makes some sense to go that way, rather than some middling rb.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Azrael » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:33 am

Not crazy at all. Some guys feel if they have a flex position they need to go out and grab 3 RBs in the first 4 rounds so they can play all 3. It just depends on who is on your team. I have tough choices to make at my flex spot in one league because I am so deep at WR and have sketchy RBs. My league we start 2RB, 2WR, and a flex. I basically have to choose from Colston, Berrian, or Foster in my flex spot. Last week I chose Colston and got burned, not bad but 4 or 5 points can mean a game. With Foster I'm almost guaranteed 5-10 points but with Berrian and Colston either one could lay eggs or pull off huge games. Plus I also have Deuce and Steve Smith so I have to consider whether I want 2 guys from the same team playing. Just some of the things you may need to think about.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:14 pm

i look to fill my FLEX with the best player/matcup each week...i generally draft so that it will be a RB most of the time but i dont lock myself in
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:17 pm

Start your best player. I regularly started 3 wide receivers in a 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 flex league last year because many of my running backs turned into busts (Portis, Droughns), and it worked because I had great depth at wide receiver (D-Jax, Burress, Coles). I'm doing the same thing this year because I still have those three and have a great tandem at running back with Portis and Maroney, but my #3 is Fred Taylor.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Fantasy Man 27 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:48 pm

No, not crazy at all. If this is a PPR league, I almost always start my best WR at the flex.
Fantasy Man 27
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby woodson_28 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:01 pm

ya, while some people were taking Caddy or L.Jordan, i picked up Fitz to start in my flex spot during my draft. We only start 2 WR, but I have Harrison and S.Smith (CAR) starting WR and then Fitz in the flex.
woodson_28
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:36 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:i look to fill my FLEX with the best player/matcup each week...i generally draft so that it will be a RB most of the time but i dont lock myself in

I agree with Dan here...normally you'll go get a 3rd RB that you can use for Flex, but if you have a WR playing a bad pass defense, it can be very worth it.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk