BREAKING NEWS - PATRIOTS VIDEOTAPE RULING ANNOUNCED - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

BREAKING NEWS - PATRIOTS VIDEOTAPE RULING ANNOUNCED

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: BREAKING NEWS - PATRIOTS VIDEOTAPE RULING ANNOUNCED

Postby treat24 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:59 pm

Custer wrote:This whole thing sounds so familiar...oh yeah, the dolphins were busted for stealing audibles last year....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2696227

"Reaction around the league office was, 'That's football,' " AFC spokesman Steve Alic said.

Video recording of hand signals, audio recording of audibles.

The only rule that was broken was that there was a camera on the field. Punish the person who ordered it, not the team. One game suspension with fine. The loss of the first round draft pick is not appropriate.

Heck, the Broncos were busted for cheating on the salary cap for 3 years and they only lost a 3rd rounder and similar fine...

Now if it is proven that the Pats were disrupting the communications systems of the other team, that is a whole different story.

you keep posting this with your whole 2 posts... the pats are cheaters and you can't handle it, your dynasty is tainted, you can't handle it... deal ... from what I heard on ESPN the rule is VIDEOtaping and it was instituted after other teams scouts were recording other teams camps... so yeah, if audiotaping doesn't break a rule... which it doesn't... and VIDEOtaping does... so be it. I'm not saying that it's right, I'm just saying the Pats knowingly cheated and most likely cheated there way to keeping stud players and getting free agents and winning superbowls... you can't argue they aren't cheaters... even beliCHEAT admits it... he's a cheater, your team is a bunch of cheaters... deal.

at least when my minnesota golden gophers basketball team cheated i accepted and applauded the penalty.

you are acting like a whiny little kid...

you should be penalized for cheating... why do you think the pats are above the rules?
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby bobbing_headz » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:12 pm

treat24 wrote:
Custer wrote:This whole thing sounds so familiar...oh yeah, the dolphins were busted for stealing audibles last year....

"Reaction around the league office was, 'That's football,' " AFC spokesman Steve Alic said.

The only rule that was broken was that there was a camera on the field. Punish the person who ordered it, not the team. One game suspension with fine. The loss of the first round draft pick is not appropriate.

Heck, the Broncos were busted for cheating on the salary cap for 3 years and they only lost a 3rd rounder and similar fine...

Now if it is proven that the Pats were disrupting the communications systems of the other team, that is a whole different story.

you keep posting this with your whole 2 posts... the pats are cheaters and you can't handle it, your dynasty is tainted, you can't handle it... deal ... from what I heard on ESPN the rule is VIDEOtaping and it was instituted after other teams scouts were recording other teams camps... so yeah, if audiotaping doesn't break a rule... which it doesn't... and VIDEOtaping does... so be it. I'm not saying that it's right, I'm just saying the Pats knowingly cheated and most likely cheated there way to keeping stud players and getting free agents and winning superbowls... you can't argue they aren't cheaters... even beliCHEAT admits it... he's a cheater, your team is a bunch of cheaters... deal.

at least when my minnesota golden gophers basketball team cheated i accepted and applauded the penalty.

you should be penalized for cheating... why do you think the pats are above the rules?

I don't know where you're going with this cause Custer never said the Patriots weren't cheaters. I think he actually has a good point there. I mentioned this earlier too, why should the entire team be penalized for something that was likely orchestrated by a small minority of the team? Fines and suspensions should be served but not something that affects the organization like this. I also believe now that the draft pick is too steep a penalty. Oh and not that the Patriots aren't cheaters, but I think that it's clear now that the Patriots aren't the only ones who've cut corners to try to win; for all you people who've claim "there's no evidence" you're clearly wrong.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:20 pm

bobbing_headz wrote:
treat24 wrote:

I don't know where you're going with this cause Custer never said the Patriots weren't cheaters. I think he actually has a good point there. I mentioned this earlier too, why should the entire team be penalized for something that was likely orchestrated by a small minority of the team? Fines and suspensions should be served but not something that affects the organization like this. I also believe now that the draft pick is too steep a penalty. Oh and not that the Patriots aren't cheaters, but I think that it's clear now that the Patriots aren't the only ones who've cut corners to try to win; for all you people who've claim "there's no evidence" you're clearly wrong.

it's not that they cut corners... belicheat KNEW the rule, he broke the rule. if he "misinterpreted" the rule... then i agree with ESPN, we can't call him a genious. The rule is straight forward. you need to be mentally handicapped to "misinterpret" the rule. The dolphins "cut a corner" but broke no NFL rule in doing so. Belicheat was warned about this rule and he still broke it... I don't see how you can compare the 2... on one hand you have a team that didn't break any NFL rule. On the other hand you have a team that knew the NFL rule and chose to break it. And yes, IMO the punishment should be a huge fine and suspension to belicheat and not to the team. we don't know exactly how high this thing actually went because the pats just want to move past it. so it might be team wide. maybe the players were reviewing these tapes too and it was team wide. you don't know that so quit acting like you do. none of us know.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby bobbing_headz » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:37 pm

Yes I don't know whether the whole team was in on this or not but I think we have to highly doubt that. First of all the whole team didn't need to know about this. The only guys that needed to know were some of the coaching staff, even just Belichek alone and maybe Brady or a few other offensive guys. Second, if you're blatantly breaking the rules you very likely wouldn't be revealing this to your entire team. If the entire team knew then I believe that something like this would have happened earlier if the Patriots were doing this before (which I'm pretty sure they did as they were warned before). I'm sure everybody would have been aware of the serious repercussions if the team was indeed caught. This leads be to believe one of two things if the Patriots were indeed doing this for an extended period of time. Either a) the whole team didn't know or b) the whole did know but the method was incredibly effective, effective enough to be winning the Pats games.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SniperShot » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:43 pm

So the Pats got good because they cheated and that's why they have good players now so even if they don't cheat from this point on their success is still a result of them cheating and we can throw everything out the window? :-o :-o

I'm no Pats fan but that's one analogy I simply can't make without further evidence.

Prove to me how much of an advantage the Pats got from attempting to film and decipher their opponents signals. Teams change signals at halftime, all coaches know they are being observed and studied, sure they don't expect someone to have video of them but EXACTLY how much are you gaining by taping them? Was there some database of information at Belicheats disposal so on Monday morning when they are making gameplans for their upcoming opponent part of the film study is their opponents defensive signals? That's huge if it's the case but has there been any investigation done to prove this? Who knows. Did the Pats coaching staff actually do this? Who knows. Was this camera man part of the Patriots organization? Was he paid by the team or paid by Belicheat himself on the side? Did Mangini know all about this all along? Do other former Patriots coaches like Charlie Weis know about this? Was the reason Mangini was so insanely vague about this whole thing on Friday because he's hiding the fact that he's known about this for a long time now and just used it last Sunday as some sort of sick crybaby's revenge?

Am I the only one who has a few questions about this? Seems to me everyone loves to point the finger and laugh, slam the door and go back to drinking your own teams kool-aid. If guys like Mangini and countless other former Patriots coaches have known about this for all these years that's almost as bad as cheating themselves...
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby bobbing_headz » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:47 pm

SniperShot wrote:So the Pats got good because they cheated and that's why they have good players now so even if they don't cheat from this point on their success is still a result of them cheating and we can throw everything out the window? :-o :-o

I'm no Pats fan but that's one analogy I simply can't make without further evidence.

Prove to me how much of an advantage the Pats got from attempting to film and decipher their opponents signals. Teams change signals at halftime, all coaches know they are being observed and studied, sure they don't expect someone to have video of them but EXACTLY how much are you gaining by taping them? Was there some database of information at Belicheats disposal so on Monday morning when they are making gameplans for their upcoming opponent part of the film study is their opponents defensive signals? That's huge if it's the case but has there been any investigation done to prove this? Who knows. Did the Pats coaching staff actually do this? Who knows. Was this camera man part of the Patriots organization? Was he paid by the team or paid by Belicheat himself on the side? Did Mangini know all about this all along? Do other former Patriots coaches like Charlie Weis know about this? Was the reason Mangini was so insanely vague about this whole thing on Friday because he's hiding the fact that he's known about this for a long time now and just used it last Sunday as some sort of sick crybaby's revenge?

Am I the only one who has a few questions about this? Seems to me everyone loves to point the finger and laugh, slam the door and go back to drinking your own teams kool-aid. If guys like Mangini and countless other former Patriots coaches have known about this for all these years that's almost as bad as cheating themselves...

Very well put ;-D

I know I'm probably guilty of this too but there's just too many questions for the enormous amount of accusations flying around. Since there is no evidence and very likely won't be any uncovered I think the only way we can really gauge this is to watch how the Pats do the rest of the season.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Custer » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:54 pm

SniperShot wrote:So the Pats got good because they cheated and that's why they have good players now so even if they don't cheat from this point on their success is still a result of them cheating and we can throw everything out the window? :-o :-o

;-D I definatly have questions about Magnini's timing on this...

What pisses me off is how so many people are implying that stealing signals is what the Pats did wrong and that it has 'tainted' past victories. It is obvious from the Dolphins example that it is perfectly acceptable to steal signals, audible or anything else of that nature. If using a camera is as much of an advantage as so many people are making it out to be, why did the other coaches that 'suspected' BB of doing this not say something to the NFL and if they did, why did the NFL not investigate? Why did Mangini wait until this game to report it? Why would a coach let another team not only use such an advantage against him, but also use it to get so close to the SB. Do you think that a coach would allow the other team to have a 12th man on the field for a few plays of a game, or let them take a extra time out to get in one more play at the end of the game with out filing a complaint? No, they would not. So again, why would they allow this?
Custer
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby JasonSeahorn » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:03 pm

Mangini is mad he lost.

LT is mad he didn't make it to the superbowl.

I think it's funny that PEYTON hasn't said a single word through out this whole fiasco....maybe because he won his ring so he doesn't care? LT will shut up if he wins a super bowl :-b

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Lung » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:16 pm

Element wrote:NEW PATS LOGO!!!!

The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby codered7 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:09 am

BREAKING NEWS! THE VIDEOTAPING DID NOT GIVE US AN ADVANTAGE, IT ACTUALLY GAVE US A DISADVANTAGE! WE RAPED SD, WITHOUT IT HAHAHAHAHA. HATAS plz bow down to a picture of Bill.
thnx madaslives911 fo the sig! you da man!

Ochenta y Cinco! Who?
Ochenta y Cinco! Who?
Ocho Cinco Biatch! O ok.
codered7
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk