New league... no buzz... is it a problem? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

New league... no buzz... is it a problem?

Moderator: Football Moderators

New league... no buzz... is it a problem?

Postby scribe8585 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:42 am

I'm the commish of a new league this season and while people seem good about keeping up a team.... there's absolutely no buzz otherwise. Nobody posts on the message board and nobody ever reaches out and talks to one another on IM, which 90% of the league has. Many in this league don't know one another, and I've sent out an email saying people wouldn't mind small talk or trade talk... I don't think it did any good. I've played with a few guys in the league before, all very good owners, but they don't seem to care when it comes to reaching out and getting to know these other owners. I expected them to set an example.

Should the lack of buzz be a concern? I've always said the good leagues will have a lot of life it, that leagues are best served when everyone feels like they know everyone else on some level.
scribe8585
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: New league... no buzz... is it a problem?

Postby dgan » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:18 am

If a new league is an owner's "additional" league, he may not spend his time bantering on that message board. He may instead spend that time talking about a league he's been in for a longer period of time.

Pretty much all you can do is make sure people are taking care of their team. If some of those guys are in a half dozen serious leagues plus have full time jobs, they may not have a lot of time for meaningless banter. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: New league... no buzz... is it a problem?

Postby Cards24 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:14 pm

For a league that people dont know each other that is pretty normal. What you can do as a commish is setup a weekly poll, and see if you get any attention that way. Another thing that kinda works in getting some interest is having a weekly article that talks about last weeks games and/ or the upcoming matchups. Lastly if you dont have time for a weekly article you can have a "Weekly Pick" article were you rate every league matchup and give an over/under (your take of who the favorite might be). A must in these articles is to add some humor, so be prepared to eat crow when you get some of your predictions wrong. Before you know it people will start looking forward to those silly article and give your league an edge. All those little things add personality to the league and owners become more attached and call it home.

Feel like you are selling a product, and add a little spice to it. The rest will follow ;-D
Best Damn Fantasy Football League
Cards24
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Commissioner's Corner