How many keepers? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

How many keepers?

Moderator: Football Moderators

How many keepers?

Postby juniorvarsity33 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:22 pm

So, my long-time highly competitive league implemented keepers this season. That was the easy part. Deciding how many keepers to retain each year, was a little more controversial. As commish, I was thinking like ONE or TWO keepers to start. This would allow us to ease into this NEW experience. And, add more if necessary down the road. Maybe even working towards a DYNASTY league. However, knowing we could NEVER reduce the amount of keepers... that wouldn't be fair.

But, when voting came... I was surprised that a majority of my owners wanted AT LEAST 4 keepers. I was unconvinced, and even a couple of my owners were willing to WALK OUT of the draft because they thought that was too many players taken out of the pool next year. A couple of owners wouldn't select great teams, and we wanted them the opportunity at good players in the following season.

So, we finally decided on TWO keepers (this evens out the guy how drafted #12 & #13 the guy who has LT and the 24th best player... essentially)

So, what are some of you're experiences and/or opinions with Keepers and improving this?

Thanks for lookin. And I wish my internet wasn't down for 6 weeks leading up to our draft, I coulda investigated this prior to setting this season's league up. ;-D

-jv

No Fun League (6th year as commish)
(12 Team, 2 player Keeper) $200 entry per team.
0-1 (though up by 23 in WEEK 2 w/ only Portis left against me)
QB - {Brady}Quinn
RB - {LJ, Edge, AGreen} TBell, SamMorris
WR - {Holt/ DJack} Chambers, SHolmes, DBennett, JPorter
TE - {DaClark}
K - {Mare}
D/ST - {Falcons}
juniorvarsity33
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: How many keepers?

Postby edanono » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:37 am

We just went back to 1 keeper. We had started out that way years ago. Then I suggested we have a 2nd player option. I would cost the owner, extra cash, and their first round pick. I also made the rule that one owner could not keep 2 players in the same postion. So then we had issues with trades of these players on draft day, drafting order, and numerous arguments.

So we got rid of it. May have been the fact that I wanted to restrict the second player options too much that caused the problem. Anyways, I personnally like to keep it at one, since it doesn't take so many players out of the drafting pool. Draft day is what you study for and usually the only time the league gets together. Why take anything away from it?

Da Nutz
DA Nono
edanono
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Commissioner's Corner