will my maroney/MJD combo come back to bite me? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

will my maroney/MJD combo come back to bite me?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: will my maroney/MJD combo come back to bite me?

Postby DraftDodger » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:16 pm

sadlyajetsfan wrote:i understood the risk with the weapons the pats have and that mjd wasnt the starter. i know its only 2 weeks in but they seemed to be overvalued a bit, i just wanted to get some views on them because i may try and trade one or both if need be

The 15-20 carries per game that Maroney has seen so far is likely to be typical of the season. I don't see Morris losing any touches; it's more likely that he'll eventually split the carries evenly.

Any way you look at it, New England has become an RBBC team and will remain so with M&M healthy.

Brady has too many receiver targets for the ground game to do any better than it's doing. Maroney drops to a very low #2 or flex player; he just doesn't have much upside in this offense. There will be many red-zone opps, by they're just as likely to go to Morris or Evans.

Of course there will be a game or two where Belichick decides to run, run, run just to throw off defenses who spent all week practicing with 5 and 6 db sets, but unless he calls you up and says which week that will be, I wouldn't count on a big game from Maroney.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Blitzburgh2001 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:34 pm

Maroney: Possibly shut out on goal-line carries this year. His role might be a tad larger than last year, but at that, expect 1000 and 5TDs max with less than 20 catches. I dished him for T Jones and Driver and I feel very lucky to have done so. T Jones might be more valuable at this point.

MJD: Its hard to say right now. I am trying to get him cheap, but I don't expect the world from him. I thought he would blow up against Atl, and he didnt. Right now the Jags aren't running well, but I am gonna keep the faith in the Oompa Loompa. A talented back is a talented back, and while 15 TDs may have been a fluke, he is still a safe bet for 10 IMO because nothing has really changed in that Jags offense except for the addition of Northcutt, and the addition by subtraction of Lefty. A good way to snag him could be packaging a reserve with potential like Betts/BJax with a servicable #3 receiver like Cotchery to get a guy to bite. MJD owners that didnt have him last year are probably desperate at this point.
QB - Manning, Ben Roth, Campbell
RB - Henry, T Jones, D Ward, B-Jax, Betts, B Jacobs, Selvin Young
WR - Lee Evans, Colston, Driver, Cotchery, Brandon Marshall
TE - Heap
K - Elam
DEF - Chicago
Blitzburgh2001
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:07 pm

Keyser_WV wrote:
Johnny U wrote:
ampant wrote:MJD was waay overvalued IMO. I would not have touched him before the 4th round. He is basically like Reggie Bush light. And Reggie Bush was overvalued.

No way is any RB who is not starting worth any draft pick before the 4th round.

I drafted Marion Barber in the second round. I'm very happy.

I'm not sure what you are happy about. You drafted a guy in round 2 when his ADP was late 4th or early 5th.

It does seem MB will be the feature back at some point but you missed out on some serious talent while reaching for MB in round 2.

I took MB in the 2nd rd and couldnt be happier, and no he wouldnt of been there in rd 4, im in a 14 team league...

and ADP aside, what people tend to forget is that if you have a good feeling about someone you go get them, and make sure you end up with them...last yr Gore was probably about a 10thrd pick, 8th at best right? Do you think the guy who took him in the 4th was upset one bit? Guys like Ronnie Brown, Brandon Jacobs, Cedric Benson, Laurence Maroney, Reggie Bush etc were all 2nd rd picks, and id rather have MBIII over all of them...by rd 3 he would of been gone, with 14 teams when picks get back to you, you never know who will be gone by that point, and at years end, regardless of whose starting in dallas or carries numbers, im willing to bet MBIII is a top 15 fantasy back in terms of points with alot more upside and potential then most...

so this just goes to show, a RB not starting holds no weight, i look at production, and MJD is different, he has fred taylor in front of him, and maybe greg jones, Julius Jones is no fred taylor...I expect Barber to have more points then Maroney will this yr, and he's the "backup"
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer