SF can they really win the NFC West? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

SF can they really win the NFC West?

Moderator: Football Moderators

SF can they really win the NFC West?

Postby V-unit » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:45 am

DO you guys see SF really winning the NFC West this year?I really do belive they can actually do it they have a really nice Defense this year to go with a legit running game.I say as long as they dont put Alex Smith with the load for the team and give to Gore they could be legit.
Starting Linup for 2007
QB:M.Schaub*,J.Cambell,J.Dellhomme(IR)
RB:L.Tomlinson*,Rudi Johnson*,E.Grahm,C.WIlliams(IR)
WR:S.Smith*,Roy Williams*,G.Jennings,N.Burleson
WR/TE:A.Gates*,D.Clark
K:S.M.Grokaswkie NE K*,S.Grahm
D:SD*,Tennesee
V-unit
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: SF can they really win the NFC West?

Postby JasonSeahorn » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:05 am

it's going to be SF and SEA trying to win it, and i think SF has a legit shot. Their defense now seems good enough to disrupt the cardinals and rams offenses. And with seattle's offense slowly declining over the past few years, i think SF has a legit shot to win the division, and if they don't they have a very good chance of taking a wildcard spot.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WickedSmaat » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:17 pm

I had SF winning the division, but it really doesn't feel like they're 2-0 from a fantasy standpoint.
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby danielgreen091 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:52 pm

Yes but keep in mind that fantasy football has nothing to do with the real deal. SF is playing well right now and I think they will only get better. Their defense is allowing them to win games right now and once Alex Smith settles down and brings Jackson and especially Davis back into the game they will be my favorites to win the division. The loss of Turner hurt them but they still have a ton of talent and made some major upgrades in the off-season that are paying off now. I wouldn't worry about them too much.
danielgreen091
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)

Postby biju » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:04 pm

danielgreen091 wrote:Yes but keep in mind that fantasy football has nothing to do with the real deal. SF is playing well right now and I think they will only get better. Their defense is allowing them to win games right now and once Alex Smith settles down and brings Jackson and especially Davis back into the game they will be my favorites to win the division. The loss of Turner hurt them but they still have a ton of talent and made some major upgrades in the off-season that are paying off now. I wouldn't worry about them too much.

Uh, no they aren't playing good, they're lucky they are 2-0 IMO. Alex Smith probably will get better as the season progresses, but right now if they keep going the way they are they aren't going to win the division.

I still think the Seahawks are the team to beat, but as with SF they need to get their offense working. The difference is the Seahawks have had their offense working well before, SF has had mediocre success thus far and losing Turner wasn't helpful for them. I think they have a solid shot next year, but not this year.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby jcde7ago » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:19 pm

LOL, i laugh at the response above...not surprised coming from a Seahawks homer...and regardless of how SF has gotten its wins, they're still 2-0. I just love how you come out with such authority, for example "Uh no...they haven't been good they've just been lucky" and "I think Seattle is the team to beat...SF has had mediocre success thus far and losing Turner wasn't helpful for them. I think they have a solid shot next year, but not this year." For one, we have a better defense than Seattle does. And obviously, defense alone can't win games MOST of the time, but they allow the offense to squeak out just enough points for a win. That said, once the offense clicks, SF is a much better team than Seattle. You can't say "mediocre success" and "unbeaten" in the same sentence. And as for losing Norv Turner...San Diego 1-1, San Francisco 2-0. Sure, call it a tough schedule for San Diego, but their talent pool is much better than SF's and should make up for that...if Norv has that many weapons to work with, shouldn't he be doing better? I mean if you think about it this way, if he's having mediocre success with a San Diego team more talented than San Francisco, then he might be outright flopping if he were still in San Francisco. Bottom line is Seattle has proved NOTHING thus far to warrant it the title of "the team to beat" over San Francisco.

Does anyone else see this as funny considering that SF has a better record than Seattle, in a sport where ONE game makes or breaks a playoff chance? Sure the same can be said for baseball or basketball, but in football one lost game can mean everything, more so than the other two. Come on, i understand loyalty, but do try to be modest in your knocks on other teams ESPECIALLY when your own team is doing worse than the ones you're knocking on. :-*

Anyways, even as a Niner fan i didn't pick us to win the NFC West this year. I put our ceiling up as a 10-6 team, in the thick of it with both Seattle and St. Louis, perhaps losing out on a division title due to tiebreakers. But if our defense continues to play the way it does, and Alex Smith at least ATTEMPTS some kind of passing game with Gore anchoring us, then i give us a legitimate shot...at the division title, and perhaps a very good shot at a wild card spot....playing Pittsburgh this week is going to be a sure test of where this team might be headed in the future.
10-Team Yahoo! Keeper League: TheYayArea (in 3rd Year now) 11-0!

Starters:

QB: Tom Brady
WR: Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Marvin Harrison
RB: LaDainian Tomlinson, Marshawn Lynch
W/R: Marion Barber III
TE: Chris Cooley
K: Shayne Graham
D: Pittsburgh
jcde7ago
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby biju » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:32 pm

jcde7ago wrote:LOL, i laugh at the response above...not surprised coming from a Seahawks homer...and regardless of how SF has gotten its wins, they're still 2-0. I just love how you come out with such authority, for example "Uh no...they haven't been good they've just been lucky" and "I think Seattle is the team to beat...SF has had mediocre success thus far and losing Turner wasn't helpful for them. I think they have a solid shot next year, but not this year." For one, we have a better defense than Seattle does. And obviously, defense alone can't win games MOST of the time, but they allow the offense to squeak out just enough points for a win. That said, once the offense clicks, SF is a much better team than Seattle. You can't say "mediocre success" and "unbeaten" in the same sentence. And as for losing Norv Turner...San Diego 1-1, San Francisco 2-0. Sure, call it a tough schedule for San Diego, but their talent pool is much better than SF's and should make up for that...if Norv has that many weapons to work with, shouldn't he be doing better? I mean if you think about it this way, if he's having mediocre success with a San Diego team more talented than San Francisco, then he might be outright flopping if he were still in San Francisco. Bottom line is Seattle has proved NOTHING thus far to warrant it the title of "the team to beat" over San Francisco.

Does anyone else see this as funny considering that SF has a better record than Seattle, in a sport where ONE game makes or breaks a playoff chance? Sure the same can be said for baseball or basketball, but in football one lost game can mean everything, more so than the other two. Come on, i understand loyalty, but do try to be modest in your knocks on other teams ESPECIALLY when your own team is doing worse than the ones you're knocking on. :-*

Anyways, even as a Niner fan i didn't pick us to win the NFC West this year. I put our ceiling up as a 10-6 team, in the thick of it with both Seattle and St. Louis, perhaps losing out on a division title due to tiebreakers. But if our defense continues to play the way it does, and Alex Smith at least ATTEMPTS some kind of passing game with Gore anchoring us, then i give us a legitimate shot...at the division title, and perhaps a very good shot at a wild card spot....playing Pittsburgh this week is going to be a sure test of where this team might be headed in the future.

:-D

It's cute when the SF fans get all excited at the 2-0 start. In two more weeks you're going to be 2-2 and we'll revisit this thread, I promise.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby jcde7ago » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:48 pm

Excited?

Lol, no. Last time i checked, i didn't come out saying that the 49ers are the team to beat in the NFC West and then talk crap about a division rival who's actually doing better than my own team. It's cute when Seahawks fans come out blasting a team who's in a better standing than they are in a very arrogant, authoritative manner with no weight behind anything they're saying. What, you guys think you're the Patriots of the NFC West or something? Get over it, dude. In 2 weeks, you're going to wish you didn't come out and make unfounded claims.

/thread.
10-Team Yahoo! Keeper League: TheYayArea (in 3rd Year now) 11-0!

Starters:

QB: Tom Brady
WR: Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Marvin Harrison
RB: LaDainian Tomlinson, Marshawn Lynch
W/R: Marion Barber III
TE: Chris Cooley
K: Shayne Graham
D: Pittsburgh
jcde7ago
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PMoneyTKE » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:12 pm

Uh, no they aren't playing good, they're lucky they are 2-0 IMO.

Whether that's the case or not, they still beat Arizona who the Seahawks failed to beat so I don't know how at this point you can say the Seahawks are the team to beat? :-?
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:13 pm

Unless Alex Smith shows that the 49ers can throw the ball consistently, the Niners will not win the division. They can't rely on Frank Gore to carry them every game. Their defense seems good enough up to this point, but they need to be able to throw the ball. 254 yards in 2 games against opponents not known for their pass defenses is very alarming.

Sunday will be a big test for Smith. I guarantee the Steelers will contain Gore; they haven't let a player run for over 100 yards since 2005. If Smith comes through, they might have a chance to keep the game close assuming their defense plays well enough. But the Niners won't be able to throw for 150 yards and win every week.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk