Cowboys Sign Suspended DT Tank Johnson - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cowboys Sign Suspended DT Tank Johnson

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Cowboys Interested In Suspended DT Tank Johnson

Postby danielgreen091 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:18 pm

knapplc wrote:Sure he's a heck of a player, but the baggage. The baggage isn't worth it.

Thats what everyon said about T.O. but I don't think anyone can say that he wasnt worth it.
danielgreen091
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joelamosobadiah » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:39 pm

knapplc wrote:Sure he's a heck of a player, but the baggage. The baggage isn't worth it.

Yeah, they gambled with TO and so far have won. Now they are gambling with Tank and we will see. Personally as a fan I am not a huge fan of the signing. I think that our defense is fine without him. However, it he comes in and performs and doesn't screw up then all the more power to him.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby beanoX3 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:47 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:
JasonSeahorn wrote:I'm sure the gun laws in Texas are a lot less strict than the gun laws in Illinois

Hey, nice point. ;-D ;-D :-b

It doesn't matter if the gun laws are more lenient or not. Tank's guns were all unregistered. Pretty sure that's illegal in all 50 states. :-b

In any case, I'm kind of happy for Tank being able to find a new job, but I wouldn't be surprised if he got in more trouble while in Dallas. He should have more thug friends to hang out with in Texas.
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Flyn high again » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:57 pm

Up here in Chicago, Tank made one bad decision after another. Here's an AP story from last year covering some past events. Almost immediately after getting in trouble for the guns issue, Tank decides to go out partying and gets into more trouble. Granted, it's not all his fault, however, his decisions don't seem to be the best and he seems to be a fan of the excessive alcohol and social lifestyle.

From AP...

Man faces murder charge after fatal shooting in club

Associated Press

Updated: December 29, 2006, 4:54 PM ET

CHICAGO -- A 34-year-old man was charged Thursday with first-degree murder in the shooting death of the friend and bodyguard of Chicago Bears defensive tackle Tank Johnson at a night club, authorities said.

Michael Selvie of Chicago is accused of shooting 26-year-old Willie B. Posey once in the arm during an early morning fight Dec. 16 inside Ice Bar, a club in the city's trendy River North neighborhood.

On Friday, A judge refused to set bail for Selvie.

Lt. Anthony Riccio, acting commander of the Chicago Police Area 3 detective division, alleged Selvie bumped into Johnson next to the bar's dance floor and had a "brief discussion" with the player before getting into a fight with Posey and pulling a handgun. The handgun has not been recovered.

"We have no indication that Posey and Selvie knew each other or had any contact with each other prior to this incident," Riccio said.

Attorney Jayne Ingles, who is representing Selvie, told reporters her client "had nothing to do with this at all."

Riccio described Selvie as a "reputed gang member" whose criminal record contains 30 arrests, including 12 for felonies, and seven felony convictions. Most of Selvie's convictions were drug-related, police spokeswoman Kristina Schuler said. The Illinois Department of Corrections Web site shows Selvie was paroled in April.

Selvie was charged based on several things, Riccio said, including forensic evidence from the scene and witness identifications in photographic and physical lineups. Riccio acknowledged Johnson viewed a lineup at the police station Wednesday, but declined to say whether the player had identified Selvie.

Ingles declined to comment on whether her client was at Ice Bar the night of the shooting but argued Selvie has no ties to gangs and does not own or carry a gun.

As for evidence recovered from the scene, Ingles said, "I'd like to see it."

Selvie's mother and friends who stood with Ingles declined to comment. The attorney said Selvie sought her out Tuesday after learning police were looking for him and turned himself in that evening.

Selvie is due to appear in bond court Friday, said Cook County State's Attorney's office spokeswoman Tandra Simonton.

Johnson and Posey had gone to the bar less than 48 hours after Johnson was charged with six counts of possession of a firearm without a gun owner identification card when police found six guns in a raid on his home in Gurnee. Posey, who also was living there, was arrested on felony drug charges.

Friends said Posey was at the nightclub serving as a bodyguard for Johnson. Both Posey and Johnson played football at McClintock High School in Tempe, Ariz.

The Dec. 14 arrest was the third in 18 months for Johnson, who publicly apologized the next day and got a warning from general manager Jerry Angelo before going to the bar that night. Johnson was inactive for the game against Tampa Bay that weekend.

The Bears then suspended Johnson for last Sunday's game against Detroit for going to the club.

Riccio said police don't think Johnson was a target of the shooting and added that "there's been no link established between this incident and the execution of the search warrant at his home in Gurnee or the arrest in Gurnee."

Johnson's attorney, Lorna Propes, said Thursday night that the player "obviously is still grieving for the loss of his close friend and wants to see the killer brought to justice."

"He is glad that police have made an arrest," said Propes, adding that Johnson wouldn't be making any public statments about the ongoing investigation.
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Kilroy » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:56 am

From what I heard considering that he'll only get 8 game checks he'll make less than $500K. If he cleans up his act he could be a steal, but even if he doesn't they're not out much of anything.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Re: Cowboys Sign Suspended DT Tank Johnson

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:50 am

anyone find it interesting that they signed him the week they play CHI? Looking for some inside tips on the defense maybe?
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby beanoX3 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:08 am

deerayfan072 wrote:anyone find it interesting that they signed him the week they play CHI? Looking for some inside tips on the defense maybe?

I noticed that too. Not sure if Babich changed the defensive signals from Rivera's stint at D-Coord though, so I don't know how helpful Tank is going to be there. And everyone knows that you just have to blitz Rexy to rattle him.

I read an article a week or two ago from somewhere where it basically said that interviewing former players for insight was basically useless. Interviewed Peyton about it, and Peyton told a story where his former backup QB was signed by the other team and Peyton changed the play at the line when he noticed the defense had lined up too perfectly. Burned the other team for a big gain or TD and he said he found it hilarious when the other team's defense and coaches got real mad at the backup QB for faulty info.
:-b
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:09 am

deerayfan072 wrote:anyone find it interesting that they signed him the week they play CHI? Looking for some inside tips on the defense maybe?

I hadn't thought about that, but I don't guess it would surprise me at all. I mean, it wouldn't be the first time a player has been signed for that purpose. If they release him Monday, then we will really know. ;-7 :-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:16 am

Except that Tank wasn't involved in training camp, they have a new D Coordinator and whatever info he could give them they could probably get from watching game film anyway.

Besides, gleaning useful information out of him would require him to KNOW useful information in the first place, and I'm not under the impression that Tank Johnson is the sharpest tool in the shed anyway.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:35 am

knapplc wrote:Except that Tank wasn't involved in training camp, they have a new D Coordinator and whatever info he could give them they could probably get from watching game film anyway.

Besides, gleaning useful information out of him would require him to KNOW useful information in the first place, and I'm not under the impression that Tank Johnson is the sharpest tool in the shed anyway.

You may not like him, but he did play in that defense for a couple years and although they changed coordinators, its the same defense. Johnson maybe dumb, but he knows what he did on defense and what they try to do. he also knows others weaknesses. Not saying it will have a great effect, but to say he does not know useful information is ignorant.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk