Buy low, or Let 'em go - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Buy low, or Let 'em go

Moderator: Football Moderators

Buy low, or Let 'em go

Postby Warpigs » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:57 pm

Considering the talent that is underachieving through two games, and how fickle fantasy owners have come, it is more important than ever to identify players who could be solid buy-low targets and which players to avoid like the plague.

Using the following list, please mention if personally are targeting the player as critical buy low (you are making every effort to get this guy on your team right now), keeping an eye on (making an offer here or there, but more than not taking a wait-and-see approach) and letting go (guy who you personally would rather avoid).

Steven Jackson
Larry Johnson
Laurence Maroney
Lee Evans
Larry Fitzgerald
Donovan McNabb
Philip Rivers
Drew Brees
Kevin Jones
Roy Williams
Anquan Boldin
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Buy low, or Let 'em go

Postby moonhead » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:06 pm

i'm hanging on to sjax. i think he'll get it together. the only other person i'd be looking at from that list is roy. the chiefs are terrible, and have a tough run schedule. maroney is in rbbc hell. lee evans, lol. fitzy and boldin are going to underachieve because that offense is anemic. mcnabb will get hurt again. rivers i'm neutral on. brees and the saints are looking awful. the lions don't run the ball at all, i don't want tater or kj.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby jjcechva » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:40 pm

The only players on there I've been paying attention to are Fitz and Boldin - they will both underachieve but won't be pathetic, I'd say Boldin is the better bet to come closer to his value. I'm trying to trade Fitz right now.
jjcechva
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby bobbing_headz » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:32 pm

I got lots of time so I'll go over each.

SJax: You obviously gotta hold him but with Pace out I'm tempering expectations. If you can unload him for an Addai or Westy + someone then I'd seriously consider.

LJ: Not tossing him yet but with the Chief's terrible offense and deteriorating O-Line he's not gonna put up top 10 numbers. At this point he's a low RB1. Ditto with the SJax stuff.

Maroney: He's officially done. I can see the RBBC that's already materializing in NE. Having TDs vultured in the last two games isn't good. Plus with actual WRs Brady is gonna throw more in the red zone, especially with the huge Randy Moss. I'm selling him now.

Evans: Here's a guy who I'm aggressively buying low on. First he's had bad matchups (which will improve) and second historical data show that Evans always picks it up come November/December. He'll be a FF playoff beast. Who cares if you squeak in cause of Evans at .500, he'll win you the playoffs.

Fitz/Boldin: I said before the season many times that the new HC in Zona will hurt the passing game. Lo and behold they've been running the ball a ton and not throwing much. Stay away from Fitz and Boldin, they won't get much better.

McNabb: I've never liked McNabb much. But still, I can't understand why he's so much worse than his beast start last year. Not much has changed, Westy is there and Curtis basically = Stallworth. It may a bit of rust. I'm holding onto him for another couple weeks.

Rivers: Rivers will never be a good QB with the offensive system in SD. He's more of a game manager or
"offensive caretaker". LT is the man and will always be. If people still think Rivers is a top 12 QB then sell him to those people now.

Brees: The other guy I'm agressively buying low on. Saints are out of sorts these first few weeks and will find their rhythm. Remember their division stinks and they have 2 games against Atlanta and 2 against the Panthers coming, neither of which are good defensive teams.

Jones: If anything Jones' value was never high and he's always been a buy low. With Bell playing like crap I can see Jones coming in this week or next and putting up great RB2 numbers for the rest of season. Get him now if you don't have him.

RW: Williams will produce only because Detroit will throw the ball 50+ times a game. With so many threats coverage should ease off RW. He had a pretty good game this week didn't he?
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Bowie » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:34 pm

We are thinking alike, bobbing_headz. I actually have an offer out for Brees and Evans right now (A. Peterson MIN, S. Holmes, and J. Garcia for Brees, Evans, and S. Young). I think both are good bets for bounce backs (and I need QB help).

The only ones I really wouldn't touch here are Maroney and K. Jones (and McNabb worries me after watchin him last night).
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby steelerfan513 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:59 pm

Steven Jackson - Buy Low. He has ran well without Pace before, and he's much too talented to be held in check forever.

Larry Johnson - Buy low. You can't write him off after two games. He had limited carries against Houston, and Chicago is, well, Chicago.

Laurence Maroney - Give up. New England's passing game looks extremely potent, and Morris and Faulk will be stealing touches all year.

Lee Evans - Buy low. He had two very tough matchups the first two weeks (Denver and Pittsburgh), and with Buffalo's defense, they will have to air it out more this year.

Fitz/Boldin - Wait and see. They have all the talent in the world, and Leinart will turn it around eventually, but the Return of the Rushing Game in Arizona is a concern.

McNabb - Wait and see. It's tough to gauge him just yet because it's early in the season and the Eagles played one definitely good defense and one undetermined defense. Don't go after him, but don't let him go if you have him.

Phillip Rivers - Give up now. LT severely limits his potential, and the Chargers' receivers suck. He did have a couple of tough matchups, but I'm staying away from him and am going to try to sell him if I can.

Drew Brees - Wait and see. Yes, the Saints have looked like crap, but this is Drew Brees. And as someone else mentioned somewhere, the Saints have played against the Cover 2 their first two weeks, a defense that is well adapted to stop them.

Kevin Jones - Wait and see. You won't get enough to justify trading him, but he will be a starting running back when he is back at full strength. Given that you probably didn't give up much to give him, there is very little risk in keeping him.

Roy Williams - Since when is he a buy low? He's played well the first two weeks. By all means, keep him.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby sadlyajetsfan » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:21 pm

i think in another week evans is the buy low candidate to go for. it might be too late for kj since hes coming back in 2 weeks i believe. maroney and mjd who i both have would be good to go after since they are playing terrible right now and worrying most owners. thomas jones might be worth looking at as well
sadlyajetsfan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Regalus » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:29 pm

I think Drew Brees is kinda interesting= buy low, while im not targeting him and I dont own him on any of my teams, last year he really didnt pick it up until about week 6. I dont think that offense can be held down forever. Would help if Henderson could catch the ball. I think when Reggie Bush turns it on, it will open up that offense, and Brees will also pick it up.

Stephen Jax if anyone is crazy enough to let him go, he would be the ultimate buy low, ive def been making offers. I dont think he really played preseason? so you can expect him to turn it around soon.

Lee Evans will have probably 3 great games, but most weeks wont be anything special(made one lowball offer).

LJ is gonna have a rough go this year, not a terrible year, but not top 5, maybe low 10

Fitzgerald has been target a ton, him and leinart just dont have the chemistry right now, expect that to turn around mid season.
Boldin- wait and see

Roy Williams may not be living up to a top 7 receiver right now, but he hasnt played bad, I dont think he's buy low.

Rivers, Mulroney, = whatever I wouldnt touch them

McNabb, Kevin Jones = wait and see
Regalus
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:05 am

SJax - Trade if reasonable.
LJ - Trade if reasonable.
Maroney - Keep, I can see NE running more the colder it gets.
Evans - Buy Low.
Fitz - Keep.
McNabb - Trade.
Rivers - Keep.
Brees - Trade if reasonable.
KJones - Biggest Buy Low candidate on this list - by far.
RWilliams - Keep.
Boldin - Keep.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby alchemy » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:40 am

Why are so many people talking about how bad KC's offence will be this year when it is basically the same team as last year? People forget that Trent Green was injured half of last year ... both Gonzo and Larry Johnson had a few massive games with Huard behind center.

In fact, among the best game last year for Huard, Johnson and Gonzo was against San Diego, as tough a defense as it gets.

It's two weeks into the season. Nobody should trade Larry Johnson.
alchemy
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Football Talk