Is There Still a Big D in Dallas? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is There Still a Big D in Dallas?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is There Still a Big D in Dallas?

Postby danielgreen091 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:41 pm

Am I the only one that still thinks Dallas still has a great defense? Not having Terrance Newman is a huge hit to any defense, as he is a top 5 corner in this league. With Newman playing they don't have to play such soft coverage and they have the ability to shut down receivers on the outside. With that being done they can focus more on the run an putting pressure on the quarterback. I think that when Newman comes back 100% the Dallas D will be a top 5 fantasy D. That is assuming that Spencer can take over for Ellis, which I think he can. Also they need either Ratliff to step up like he did against Miami or Tank Johnson to come in and cover for Ferguson.
danielgreen091
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Is There Still a Big D in Dallas?

Postby joelamosobadiah » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:29 pm

I think by mid-season, the Cowboys will be a top 5 fantasy defense. They are at 8 right now in my Yahoo league, so they aren't that far off. They will get plenty of turnovers, and I think they will cut down on the yards and points allowed when Newmann gets back. I think that Newmann will make a 7 point per game swing in our favor. He is a BIG part of our defense.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dplymkr88 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:47 pm

I think they will be fine. Newman will eventually come back. That is the big thing with this D right now, they don't have Newman to fall back on so they are calling soft coverages. Factor in Spencer getting more experience as the season goes on and the arrival of Tank Johnson and I think the D will be fine.
Still looking for that Eagles trophy case...

Dplymkr88
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 24)

Postby mikus » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:22 pm

OK, now what do non-Dallas fans think?

:-b

Before the season started, I had them ranked top-10. I thought Wade Phillips was a defensive coach and I thought they had the talent to be ferocious in the 3-4. Now, I am not so sure. I suppose if the secondary gets healthy it should be a better unit, but they still are suspect in the passing game.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby JasonSeahorn » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:43 pm

getting tank johnson will help them.

imo they are a defense you could start every week, if i had dallas i wouldn't play WW defenses. i easily see them top 10....top 5 maybe but they are imo good enough to start every week

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:17 pm

I think they need Newman back to help them. And the reason they got Tank is of injuries. They might be a bit weak in the near term but will be solid by mid year.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby dgan » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:33 pm

I think they are a good fantasy defense...I'm not sold on them as being a team that can 'switch it on', even with Newman back. They kind of remind me of the Packers...they look good in the box score, but you watch the games and you wonder what the heck is going on. Giving up big plays, stupid penalties, unable to stop drives in critical situations. That's what I've seen from Dallas that last year+.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Simulacrum » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:45 pm

Hey Dallas fans, what's the deal with DeMarcus Ware? I was under the impression he'd be a solid IDP this season but so far he's been killing me. Reasonable to expect improvement or should I be looking elsewhere?
Simulacrum
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Chief Pixel PusherEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby danielgreen091 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:51 pm

Its pretty early in the season to give up on him.
danielgreen091
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)

Postby LS2throwed » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:00 pm

Simulacrum wrote:Hey Dallas fans, what's the deal with DeMarcus Ware? I was under the impression he'd be a solid IDP this season but so far he's been killing me. Reasonable to expect improvement or should I be looking elsewhere?

Well were short one superstar so they have been keying in on the biggest impact one we have left which is Ware...when Ellis returns in a few weeks and can rotate with spencer, Newman gets to full speed, Tank gets the D line rotation down, Ware will be freed up alot more, now he gets pressure but he gets chip blocked everytime or doubled and hasnt got a chance to get to the qb much...im interested to see how he's used this week vs grossman because i think wade knows he can disrupt their passing game
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer