Outlook on McNabb and the Eagles offense? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Outlook on McNabb and the Eagles offense?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Outlook on McNabb and the Eagles offense?

Postby SniperShot » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:52 pm

After watching last nights game I've gotta say the Donvan McNabb I knew pre-injury and the one that was on the field last night looked like totally different QB's.

McNabb was not putting much pressure on his right knee last night. You could tell he was not making smooth throws, very little rhythm, his deep ball seemed to be off. Sure you can hardly expect a guy like Kevin Curtis (Played in the slot at St. Louis) to regularly get open on the outside, but the few times McNabb did test the Skins defense downfield the throw seemed to be off. Gotta also give credit to the Redskins defense last night they played very well and made the game very hard hitting and physical. But still, there were other really easy throws where McNabb overshot the reciever or lead them WAY too much. One throw that sticks out in particular was near the end of the game Curtis had a TD on an out pattern and McNabb basically lead him by 8 feet too much- a really bad misthrow that I can't remember EVER seeing McNabb make in the past. Jaws made a comment that the McNabb of old would have floated the ball to make absolute sure the receiver would at least be able to make a play on the ball. The pass was tentative, awkward, and downright sucky.

The Eagles offense also looked totally lost on some plays as well, maybe this is a result of not having 100% faith in their quarterback. Of course this could have been the Redskins keeping them off balance but when you have the ball you are in control. The defense can only react to what you do. Last night the Eagles did not play with any form of authority. Coming off a bad last second loss in Green Bay where punt returners basically cost you the game, now in front of your fans at your home opener in still a very young 2007 season, you'd think you would feel a little authority at home vs an unproven Redskins team...

We've seen this before with Dante Culpepper in 2006 coming off his major 2005 knee injury where he tore his PCL, ACL, and MCL. Granted McNabb "only" tore his ACL I think the comparisons can be drawn between these two QB's Injuries and playing styles. Both relied heavily on their footwork and scrambling abilities pre-injury and Culpepper has never looked the same since that injury. It's way too early to start looking into this as it's not even week 3 yet but so far after 2 weeks McNabb has not looked 100%. In fact he's looked far from it in my opinion.

With McNabb unsteady guys like L.J Smith, Reggie Brown, even Westbrooks numbers can take a significant hit. Kevin Curtis seems to be McNabb's safety outlet at times, with McNabb chucking a whole bunch of passes his way. There was only 1 pass attempt to Curtis over 20 yards though I believe and Curtis was not open at all. Most of the passes to Curtis that I saw were little dink passes thrown after it appeared McNabb had no other options.

Sure it's only two games into the season but what do you guys think the diagnosis is on the Eagles offense? For me I'd say until McNabb truly tests that knee and gets any type of rhythm and smoothness back I do not see many good things at ALL for the Eagles offense.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Outlook on McNabb and the Eagles offense?

Postby chidoy » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:04 pm

IMHO, DMac will be fine. He hasn't played in how long off the injury? Palmer last year started off slow. Now granted, DMac has no WR's to throw to other than Curtis, but he's still got Westy. All the other WR"s (as pointed out by the MNF crew) got NO SEPARATION.... that's not gonna help.
Yes, he did have bad throws, but I think with him getting better and more used to being on the field, that will improve. Plus did I mention that Westy guy?
10 team / Keeper / 2QB 2RB 2WR Flex TE DEF
McNabb/ Griese / JP / Clemens
SJax / Gore / Julius / T.Jones
Braylon / B.Marshall / Cotchery /Hackett
Gates / Olson
TENN
chidoy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Kilroy » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:13 am

I think it's premature to throw dirt on any of the Eagles' offensive players just yet, although there's certainly cause for concern. McNabb, Brown, and Co. need to show some serious improvement this week against Detroit though, because if you can't move the ball against them you're, well, the Vikings.

:-D

As to all the Curtis talk, his numbers haven't made me warm and fuzzy, and I own him in several leagues. From what I saw Monday Night the WR that's presently giving McKnee the best target to throw to is Avant.

Westy's been Westy, although some TDs would be nice. :-o

H**l, at the rate the Philly offense is going right now the guy to have is Akers, as the Eagles seem to be able to get the ball down the field OK. They just can't seal the deal.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:15 am

tough to tell. Eagles have started slow in the past, that's for sure. Then again, McNabb looks off, and the drum beat is getting bad in that town. They haven't had an 0-3 start since 99, and if that happens, who the heck knows what will go on. Does McNabb press even more? Why does Andy call a pass to run ratio like thatwhen you have a qb who obviously isn't a 100 percent back. If they struggle against Lions and Giants (next two games) it's a big problem.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SniperShot » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:52 am

I hope you guys are right they have tons of time to fix this. It is still so early.

I also don't think Palmer started off that slow in 2006. His first game was sub-par but in week 2 he threw for over 300 yards. Heck his first action back in the preseason game in August of last year I remember him throwing for 3 TD's.

The problem with comparing the two is Palmer is a much different QB than McNabb, he was never very mobile and has always been a fairly straightforward pocket passer whereas McNabb likes to throw on the run and scramble alot more. A knee injury of this magnitude could hurt McNabbs playing style more than Palmers.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby stomperrob » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:19 pm

Posted on Wed, Sep. 19, 2007
0-2 Eagles busy picking up the pieces

By Ray Parrillo
Inquirer Staff Writer

Andy Reid offered the startling revelation yesterday that the punchless 0-2 Eagles have to do a better job in every facet of the game, along with the unsettling news that Brian Westbrook strained his knee in Monday night's 20-12 loss to Washington.

Otherwise, the Eagles coach saw things on the game tape that were not evident to just about everyone else who watched the Birds' shabby offensive performance as the game unfolded.

Positive things.

First, on Westbrook, who has pretty much been the Eagles' offense the first two games, Reid said that the running back missed one play after twisting his left knee but returned to the game.

Westbrook was hurt after catching a 14-yard pass from Donovan McNabb in the fourth quarter. He was hit on the play by linebacker Rocky McIntosh.

"He should be all right," Reid said.

Also on the injury front, Brian Dawkins, who suffered a neck stinger early in the fourth quarter while tackling Redskins tight end Todd Yoder, had an MRI exam yesterday.

"He's going to be all right as the week goes on," Reid said.

Mostly, Reid repeated, over and over again, what he said around midnight Monday while the disgruntled Lincoln Financial Field crowd filed through the exits griping about a team that has scored one touchdown in two games. The Eagles are off by a hair. They're off by an inch. There's a small gap between their failures and success and, he added, "We've got to close that gap."

As expected, he stood staunchly behind McNabb, saying he liked what he saw of the struggling quarterback in the fourth quarter.

"I thought we saw a great thing with Donovan as we got through that fourth quarter," Reid said. "We saw that rust come off, and it looked like the old Donovan there. So that's a very positive thing coming out of this game."

Others saw a quarterback throwing too many passes high and low, one who has only two completions longer than 19 yards in two games and who appears to be tentative 10 months after surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee.

"He'll get it done," Reid said.

While others saw Eagles receivers rarely breaking into the open, Reid said there were times they were and times they weren't.

"We've got a handful of good receivers," he said, even though Reggie Brown and Kevin Curtis, both of whom signed generous contracts before the season, have combined for nine catches for 122 yards in the two games.

While others saw a feeble pass rush, especially on third downs as the Redskins converted 8 of 15 into first downs, Reid said, "At least they got their arms up to disrupt some of the throws."

Reid didn't completely disagree with Westbrook's postgame assessment that the Eagles began the game with a lack of urgency even though they were playing a division rival in the home opener before a national television audience.

"Brian's an observant, smart kid, so maybe that's what he saw from his side," Reid said. "I did not necessarily see that, the lack of urgency, or however that's described. We've just got to do better early. If that means it's urgency, then it's urgency. Whatever it is, we've got to be more productive early."

The Eagles also have to be more productive midway through and late in games and, even though the season is only two weeks old, they need it to begin happening Sunday against Detroit at Lincoln Financial Field.

They have been inside the 20-yard line six times in two games and have only one touchdown and four field goals to show for it.

"We've got to find ways to [score touchdowns], and when teams want to play you four across zone, you've still got to be able to get it in," Reid said. "When you catch the football you make somebody miss or if you get an opportunity to run the football, you get positive yards. From a coaching standpoint, you've got to get a little more creative down there."

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby EWSPECIALTY » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:51 pm

It was clear as day that McNabb's high rising or low flying balls have plenty to do with his knee, but i don't think his knee could affect him leading the passers or floating the ball. Towards the end of the game i noticed the high and low balls were few, but what didn't change was leading the receiver. Disregard the high/low throws and he more often than not over threw or under threw the receiver. This is what i took away from the game and his performance. I wonder, does he look like that in practice or what, if so, should he be starting? He is starting...So, if in practice he looks like himself; then its a game time mental disability. As time passes (or game goes on) he gets more comfortable with his knee and his balls fly on the level, but leading the passer remains at a negative because thats the rust or the mental disability he has yet to work out. Where you aim the throw versus when/how you let it go are two different things; they equal the same result, but your physical ability controls when and how you let it go. I think when McNabb works out his physical constraints and his limits/abilities are second nature he will then lock in his aim.

So in the end, i believe he will find himself during the game. Soon he will know his physical limits and get over it and then the mental issues will iron itself out playing through it. I think this process started at the end of the last game.

I predict 1-TD pass & 2-int in the first half and 2-TD & 0-int in the second half this week. Total Week 3: 3-td/2-int/327yds

Thats my two cents....and my prediction.
Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Doing Right!
EWSPECIALTY
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Felix the Cat » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:44 pm

Hmm... on McNabb's accuracy and how his knee may be affecting it, try this simple experiment. (assuming you know how to properly throw a football and you are right-handed.)

Throw the ball normally. Notice how your throwing motion and ball delivery are about in line with where your shoulders were in the beginning.

Now throw the ball, but put as little weight on your right leg as possible. When I did this, I found that my left shoulder lifted much higher, my body tilted to the back, my throwing motion ended up being across my body, and the ball was delivered significantly farther to the left. I didn't really investigate under/over-throws in normal throwing vs. "injured" throwing as I was just tossing the ball around in the living room.

I didn't get a chance to watch the game (I was in class) and haven't really examined any highlights, but I bet if you compare an off-target McNabb throw from the past two weeks with his normal pre-injury throws, you just might see the same sort of difference.
Felix the Cat
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Munboy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:02 am

Felix the Cat wrote:Hmm... on McNabb's accuracy and how his knee may be affecting it, try this simple experiment. (assuming you know how to properly throw a football and you are right-handed.)

Throw the ball normally. Notice how your throwing motion and ball delivery are about in line with where your shoulders were in the beginning.

Now throw the ball, but put as little weight on your right leg as possible. When I did this, I found that my left shoulder lifted much higher, my body tilted to the back, my throwing motion ended up being across my body, and the ball was delivered significantly farther to the left. I didn't really investigate under/over-throws in normal throwing vs. "injured" throwing as I was just tossing the ball around in the living room.

I didn't get a chance to watch the game (I was in class) and haven't really examined any highlights, but I bet if you compare an off-target McNabb throw from the past two weeks with his normal pre-injury throws, you just might see the same sort of difference.

There's no doubt his injury has effected his throws. With righties, his right leg is his plant leg which means his throws will get a lot of power from pushing forward on that leg. If you're not putting the normal full pressure on that leg, that means you're throwing more with your arm instead of your whole body and that will throw off your throwing motion and alter your throwing power. I watched the game and of course his throws were off most the day, but I didn't really watch his throwing motion to see exactly what was happening.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby moochman » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:11 am

What they should try to do is incorporate a shorter passing game, say the type of pass attack that is known to be affective agianst the cover 2 style D they will face in the Lions this Sunday. Shorter passees should be less stressful on his knee allowing him to follow through better, improving his accuracy. Wouldn't hurt if Westbrook can go and they utilize his skills to their fullest.
With any success McNabb should be able to put up 200+ yds and a score or two against the Leos. And make the Iggles fan's slow their burn a little.

'Course there is always the possibility the Lions D-line makes him rush so that he has a miserable day and the Iggles lose. Then it could really get ugly. At least the Giants and Jests await.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Next

Return to Football Talk