Shaun McDonald. Who? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Shaun McDonald. Who?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Shaun McDonald. Who?

Postby Flyn high again » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:48 pm

Sleeper Alert!

Shaun McDonald is the 4th receiver for Detroit. His numbers for the first two games, however, are up there with some of the elite WR talent in the league. Yahoo's writers mentioned his stats today so I had to take a closer look at him. 13 receptions, 161 yds. and a TD in two games. Who the hell is this guy? What kind of WR4 puts up numbers like that?

OK, Mike Martz believes that nearly every play must be a pass. Good for Detroit WRs. Detroit's first 3 WRs take the 3 or 4 best defenders. Good for WR4 McDonald's stats. He's being covered by guys who are easy to beat. McDonald also played under Martz in St. Louis and knows the Martz Offense. Again, Good for McDonald's stats. He already knows what Martz wants.

What the heck, I dumped Crayton [dislocated finger] and picked him up. McDonald's early performance is worth a place on my roster. If he continues, he'll be a huge sleeper acquisition. Bet he's a free agent in your leagues, too, guys.
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Shaun McDonald. Who?

Postby Max Power » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:51 pm

he is going to be a big time hit or miss guy. he is a solid #4 WR. IMO a low end #3 WR due to how inconsistant I think he will be.
Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourty percent of people know that.
Max Power
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Felix the Cat » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:50 pm

Kevin Jones will be back soon which means that Detroit will be able to run the ball more.
Felix the Cat
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Flyn high again » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:42 pm

Felix the Cat wrote:Kevin Jones will be back soon which means that Detroit will be able to run the ball more.

I picked KJ up from free agency, too, this past week, so either KJ or McDonald scoring points is fine with me.
Last edited by Flyn high again on Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Kilroy » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:58 am

Felix the Cat wrote:Kevin Jones will be back soon which means that Detroit will be able to run the ball more.

Being able to and actually doing it are two very different things. With Mad Mike calling the shots I wouldn't hold my breath that the Lions are all of a sudden gonna stop chucking it 40+ times a game.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:53 am

tatum ran the ball just fine in week 1. In week 2 they played MINN who have maybe the best run defense in the league and they just did not attempt to try and run the ball. he had 9 attempts in week 2 compared to 15 in week 1. He avergaged almost 6 yards a carry against OAK. I don't think that KJ could do any better, I think it was a decision by the Lions to notrun the ball against MINN anymore than they needed to
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:44 am

deerayfan072 wrote:

tatum ran the ball just fine in week 1. In week 2 they played MINN who have maybe the best run defense in the league and they just did not attempt to try and run the ball. he had 9 attempts in week 2 compared to 15 in week 1. He avergaged almost 6 yards a carry against OAK. I don't think that KJ could do any better, I think it was a decision by the Lions to notrun the ball against MINN anymore than they needed to

True about MIN - they gave up trying to run against that front 4 before kickoff. The overall offense is limited with Bell as opposed to a healthy KJones since Bell doesnt know the offense as well and cannot catch as well either, so we can expect a better ground game when KJ returns and as the new Oline continues to gel.

As for Shaun McDonald, he isnt really the #4 right now as both he and Furrey are getting more plays than CJohnson. That should change as CJohnson is obviously just a rookie and he will take a little while to get into the kind of shape (mentally and physically) that a Martz' offense demands. As CJohnson gets into the games more, you can expect it to affect both Furrey and McDonald's production. I tried to dig up the breakdown of plays, but couldnt find it - I know one reporter had it last week and now I cant find the article - basically what it is showing is that CJohnson is more like the Lions #4 WR right now based on the # of plays he is in for.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby killiansjmd » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:36 am

It's only two weeks but he are their target totals:

Roy Williams: 22 targets, 4 red zone
Shaun McDonald: 17 targets, 3 red zone
Calvin Johnson: 16 targets, 4 red zone
Mike Furrey: 13 targets, 2 red zone
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Flyn high again » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:49 pm

Shaun McDonald did it again this week. 13.XX Yahoo points. He's still sitting on my bench but he's a mighty attractive bench warmer. You guys who are desperate for a WR might take a look at him. He's available in a lot of leagues.
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mystykoekaki » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:54 pm

yep, I pounced on him after the TD in week 3. he is the new det furrey. also helps that you already know the off coor from a different team. solid sleeper.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk