Vetoable?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Vetoable??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Vetoable??

Postby JoshDJays » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:34 pm

Deshaun Foster/New England D for Larry Johnson/Seattle D

My league is going crazy over this one. What do you think?
Please return the favor at viewtopic.php?f=44&t=440178
JoshDJays
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Vetoable??

Postby dgan » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:14 pm

Aside from the fact I don't like Defenses to be part of trades, I have no problem with it. The guy with LJ probably drafted him hoping to trade him later...that's what I would have done. I want no part of that guy and was hoping I wouldn't get stuck drafting him. You'd think he could find a better deal, but depending on your scoring system, New England's defense is ridiculous.

I would strongly consider passing a rule in the offseason that would prohibit trading defenses unless it is straight up.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Felix the Cat » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:29 pm

dgan wrote:I would strongly consider passing a rule in the offseason that would prohibit trading defenses unless it is straight up.

What purpose would this rule serve other than to satisfy your personal preference?
Felix the Cat
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby dgan » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:00 am

Felix the Cat wrote:
dgan wrote:I would strongly consider passing a rule in the offseason that would prohibit trading defenses unless it is straight up.

What purpose would this rule serve other than to satisfy your personal preference?

Nothing. :-)

It is just that...my preference, and the preference of every owner in my league. Again, depending on your scoring system, Defenses are by far the most unpredictable "position" in fantasy football. To make a defense a part of a trade is sort of like trading a lottery ticket...it takes no skill at all. Anything could happen and it is nearly impossible to put a value on it. Especially when you have to look at all the matchups and everything for the remainder of the season.

So for that reason, I just see no reason to trade them, especially in a league where you have unlimited drop/adds to get defenses with favorable matchups each week. Since they have almost no value, why even have them added as 'throw ins' when trading? It is about as meaningful as trading your fantasy team name for Marcus Vick. If you are trying to reward the most skilled owners, why have that system upset by blind luck?

Again, just a preference that my league adopted. And, actually, our scoring system is more sophisticated now so that defenses are a bit more predictable than in the past. So perhaps someday that rule will be repealed which would allow the trading of the truly top-tier defenses. But for now, everyone seems happy with just trading skill players.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby nateb » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:02 pm

I wouldn't veto.

LJ has been horrible but is the workhorse for a bad team and he'll most of the carries. Foster is an injury prone back putting up decent numbers in a RBBC situation. Advantage LJ.

New England defense is great, Seattle defense is above average. Advantage NE Def.

Seems like both are gaining in the trade. Past results don't mean squat. LJ is a below average fantasy back this year so far.
nateb
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Commissioner's Corner