League starters structure. possible change need opinions ple - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

League starters structure. possible change need opinions ple

Moderator: Football Moderators

League starters structure. possible change need opinions ple

Postby lionfisher » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:30 pm

I'm pushing for a change in the league on the number of players we start. Most players are either for it or undecided. I was hoping for some opinions from people who have played different structures.

I am in a 10 team CBS commish league with standard starters 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1K, 1Def.
It is the leagues 2nd year and the 1st it will be a keeper.
I have been pushing to include an additional starter either a WR or a WR/RB slot.

Please give any opinions either for or against the change.
lionfisher Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: League starters structure. possible change need opinions ple

Postby Cards24 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:33 am

The BIG question here... is your league already in progress??? If you have already drafted, this is a big fantasy football NO-NO!

For the past five years we have been using exactly the same settings as yours, including cbs.sportsline. We basically have one mandatory sub per position and a flex SUB spot that people can use as they wish (does not get points its a bench spot). The only problem I have found is that we have a lot of trade offers but not that many trades. However the waiver is very active (even at $2 a pickup).

I don't know how active your trading is but adding another spot in your roster would take more players out of the FA pool, which could potentially create more trading. I am trying to convince my team owners for next year to add in a starting DL, LB, and DB spot in our roster (in addition to the def/st), but it doesnt look good.

Here is a little hint. If you are going to make such a drastic change (I consider adding a extra starting spot pretty big) doing it early in your league's existence will be easier than a couple years into it ;)

GL
Best Damn Fantasy Football League
Cards24
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby lionfisher » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:25 pm

Yes the league is in progress for this year. I was pushing for the change to take affect next year.
I am hoping that the magority of people like to play with more starters than we currently have, but Im not sure if that is the case or not.

My league has very little trading, but alot of waiver action like yours (our trades and p/u's are free). I think its because we have a deep bench (8 start/10 reserve). I have way too many good people on my bench to only start 8 of them, and I think that starting more players would counter the effects of single players scoring huge or not at all.
lionfisher Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby dgan » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:04 pm

Just remember that what you are proposing will devalue QBs even more. The flex in our league can be QB/RB/WR/TE. This increases the value of QBs without creating all the problems of a 2QB league. We're 10 teams, we start 9, and have 16 bench spots. I love our format and would never go back to the more simplistic days when we had no flex and smaller benches.

So I think it is a good idea...just remember adding a RB/WR flex will cause Carson Palmer to go somewhere stupid like the 7th round. I always encourage people to allow QB in the flex...it calls for much more strategy in the draft and allows versatility throughout the season.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Return to Commissioner's Corner