I thouht i was good at fantasy football :( - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

I thouht i was good at fantasy football :(

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: I thouht i was good at fantasy football :(

Postby J35J » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:43 pm

You won't see me say that there isn't any luck in fantasy baseball and I don't think anyone would say that but to think that it is anywhere near as bad as fantasy football isn't right either. Fantasy Football borders on ridiculous, IMHO.
J35J
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cardiac cats » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:47 pm

I'm 1-2 but SHOULD be 2-1 but NOOOO,the commish of our league decides to throw in ridiculous amounts of bonus points this year and I lose becuz of it. Case in point, last week I lost by 5 points because my opponent had Ocho Cinco who scored an astronomical 51 points with our settings. IN total, 18 bonus points were added due to his receiving yardage which is flat out stupid. Even worse, I made a post about it before the season began adressing this particular issue but NOPE, falls on deaf ears. I swear the fantasy gods really hate me.

Don't even get me started about last year- LT, LJ, and Sjax were all on my team= first round exit in the playoffs to a fantasy newbie with a 5-8 record... GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :-°

Ok I'm done venting. I honestly believe I'm good at fantasy fooball but this evidence is undeniable. This MUST be some sort of conspiracy :-o
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:55 pm

Apparently I am awesome at fantasy football. My buddy who is pretty knowledgeable in football drafted the team with me (well, he picked out the players and I make the picks) and I am in 2nd place after this week with a 2-1 record. I think my team is good enough with a deep bench so that I don't have to make a lot of moves to get to the playoffs this year.
Yoda
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby moochman » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:35 pm

J35J wrote:You won't see me say that there isn't any luck in fantasy baseball and I don't think anyone would say that but to think that it is anywhere near as bad as fantasy football isn't right either. Fantasy Football borders on ridiculous, IMHO.

I don't see FF as being that lucky-in fact baseball may be luckier, but due to the limited numbers of contributors FF is much more punative when one's luck (or decision making) is found to be poor. There are few things that happen in football that there isn't some sound logic for, it's just unlucky when the logic is unrecognized until too late.
LJ is off to a slow start. Well most of us felt he would given the O-line, QB and overuse issues. Those who didn't consider that were unlucky, eh?
LT, not so easy to figure and is why most feel his slow start is just a blip rather than a trend. He does have a new coahing staff and has faces a very tough combo of run Ds in the first 6 weeks. Slow start bad luck?
S Jax is harder to figure becuase most felt the Rams O was good to go this season. Pass O lost a couple parts and replacement Bennett hurt, Pace hurt, one more year away from guru Martz could all be contributing to a slow start for S Jax and the Rams. Or just bad luck.

Sure there is a lot of luck involved, but the more knowledgible or prepared one is the better equiped to avoid situations where you have to rely on your luck.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby J35J » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:52 pm

moochman wrote:
J35J wrote:You won't see me say that there isn't any luck in fantasy baseball and I don't think anyone would say that but to think that it is anywhere near as bad as fantasy football isn't right either. Fantasy Football borders on ridiculous, IMHO.

I don't see FF as being that lucky-in fact baseball may be luckier, but due to the limited numbers of contributors FF is much more punative when one's luck (or decision making) is found to be poor. There are few things that happen in football that there isn't some sound logic for, it's just unlucky when the logic is unrecognized until too late.
LJ is off to a slow start. Well most of us felt he would given the O-line, QB and overuse issues. Those who didn't consider that were unlucky, eh?
LT, not so easy to figure and is why most feel his slow start is just a blip rather than a trend. He does have a new coahing staff and has faces a very tough combo of run Ds in the first 6 weeks. Slow start bad luck?
S Jax is harder to figure becuase most felt the Rams O was good to go this season. Pass O lost a couple parts and replacement Bennett hurt, Pace hurt, one more year away from guru Martz could all be contributing to a slow start for S Jax and the Rams. Or just bad luck.

Sure there is a lot of luck involved, but the more knowledgible or prepared one is the better equiped to avoid situations where you have to rely on your luck.

MOOCH, my man.....seriously now. :-o :-°
J35J
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Yoda » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:04 pm

moochman wrote:I don't see FF as being that lucky-in fact baseball may be luckier

How do you figure? A good example of luck playing a huge role would be a player getting hurt early in the game and he scores 0 points for you for the entire week. You are pretty much screwed that week if you are going up against a good opponent. You had the right player in there against the right match ups yet you lost due to nothing but bad luck.

Something like this would never happen in baseball unless you play in a weekly H2H lineup and one of your starters gets hurt and you are stuck with him. Which is less than 1% of leagues out there.
Yoda
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:49 pm

The simple fact that FF is usually played H2H based on one game per player every week for 16 weeks is much more luck oriented than a roto style FB league that takes place over 6 months and 162 games.

I do understand what mooch is saying, but logically you have to agree that FF is much more luck oriented than FB.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby DVauthrin » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:43 am

Fantasy football is incredibly luck oriented, compared to any other fantasy sport.

In baseball every pitcher gets to make his start and batters get their chances to make contributions health permitting. Wins is really the only lucky cat. Basketball your stars get their numbers over a season.

However in fantasy football, you have way more injuries and game injuries, number 1... you have so many teams going to rbbc do to fear of injury...number 2... your stud WR or RB or TE can be shut down by a defense devoting multiple players to stopping them...see pitt vs chad johnson, or champ bailey on any wr...number 3.

let me ask you how you would have felt with this roster after a draft|?

QB-Brees
WR-Walker, Branch, Holmes
RB-SJax, Jacobs, Fred Taylor, Foster
TE-Davis

as the core.... I was one of the few teams with 4 viable backs, I figured my weakness would be slightly at WR though I liked holmes a lot. I was happy with it.

Now, i'm 1-2(lucky my opponent benched curtis) and have a 3rd round bust at QB, and my 1st-2nd rounders hurt, plus Davis is hurt. This week i'm debating the merits of mike pittman and kenny watson at 2nd rb do to fred taylor's bye.

Fantasy football is far less predictable than any other sport.. even in a weekly h2h baseball league, where it's only a set lineup on monday, if you get an injury it hurts(I had it happen a couple weeks early on this year where I played a man down that week) but injuries are far less common in baseball.

Also in another league, I drafted andre johnson as my 3rd wr in a league where we start 4 and deuce as my 3rd rb. I have a strong all around team in that league I feel, but those blows hurt even for a 2-1 team...heck one of my backup wr's jacoby jones(sleeper who was starting after the johnson injury) got hurt sunday. luckily I can start harrison, housh, curtis and james jones in that league. but now delhomme is hurt as well and we can use a qb at flex which I was doing, so it's mucked up how I want my roster to look...
VY fan for life
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 14)

Postby knapplc » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:25 am

Three weeks ago that's a hell of a team, man. You are very, very unlucky to have gotten that package of underperformers.

Good luck the rest of the season! :-o

;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:35 am

J35J wrote:
moochman wrote:

MOOCH, my man.....seriously now. :-o :-°

I should clarify that luck does play a bigger role due to the nature of the games when it comes to injuries. For many players you cannot predict injury and because the player pool is smaller the impact of injuries is more severe. My response was directed more at those who were lamenting the slow starts and poor performances by some upper tier players. Take for example of how lucky a guy was who drafted Randy Moss as opposed to those who drafted Santana Moss. Those who chose Randy may have, unlike me, been able to divorce previous bad experience with Raider Moss and realized that a veteran QB and a system that is pass friendly was a recipe for success. For Santana owners some may have ignored that he would have a young unproven QB. That can often lead to erractic scores and Santana was never known for his consistancy. Multiply that by the Bills and you have Evans. Is that luck?

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk