Commish is managing Two [2] Teams!???? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Commish is managing Two [2] Teams!????

Moderator: Football Moderators

Commish is managing Two [2] Teams!????

Postby mothaudio » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:48 pm

Our league only had 11 owners so we created a "Dummy Team". No one drafted for them, they just got what "Autodraft" selected. Up till now I haven't noticed any activity, and they've lost both weeks. Today I noticed the Commish made two roster moves [for the Dummy team] against another owner. That isn't right! Shouldn't they be "locked" and only have adjustments during bye weeks? I posed this question on our message board but so far the Commish ignored it, instead he lamented sitting K.Curtis. WTF? This is the same Commish that made a very minor scoring change after the season started.
mothaudio
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Commish is managing Two [2] Teams!????

Postby nateb » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:53 pm

If the dummy team was at full strength for the first two weeks and then suffered some injuries it would not be fair to the owners from week 1 and 2 if the week 3 owner gets an easy win because rosters weren't moved to put playing players in.

I'm not sure what moves he made but keep in mind it is in the competitive balance to keep the dummy team legit.
nateb
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby edanono » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:15 am

Changing the rules in season is just wrong. That should never happen. Making any roster moves on the dummy team should only be done for injury reasons, like nateb said.

What we did in to solve this was have one team face the league average of total points scored for the week. It was usually an easier week, but did produce some losses and provided tons of trash talking directed at those who lost. It also leaves players out in the pool that would be taken up by that team.

Da Nutz
DA Nono
edanono
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Script-Ohio » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:40 pm

Scoring changes are unnacceptable mid-season. Period.
I don't think a roster "must" be locked but the criteria for making changes needs to be established ahead of time. For example, setting the starting lineup based on yahoo rankings each week would be fair and more accurately simulate a live owner.
Or if a player gets injured for the year, it's fair to drop them and pick up the highest point producer on the year so far. Again, sort of like a real person would do but without any judgment calls.
I don't think anything should be left to judgment calls though, that leaves the door open for unfair play and even the possibility of unfair play should be avoided.
Last edited by Script-Ohio on Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Script-Ohio
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Atrain72 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:33 pm

I had this same problem in my league. What i did was just have the dummy team autopick the draft, then i went in and sat all the good players and set up the team so there was no possible way to win. Essentially i treated it as a bye week for whoever is playing them. That way nobody gets beat by a computer
Atrain72
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby iamgregg » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:36 am

I had this same problem in my league. What i did was just have the dummy team autopick the draft, then i went in and sat all the good players and set up the team so there was no possible way to win. Essentially i treated it as a bye week for whoever is playing them. That way nobody gets beat by a computer

I'm raelly not a fan of that method unless each team plays the dummy team once each. If some teams play it more than others it's an unfair advantage.
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Battlecreek Dragon » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:29 am

There is no good way to handle this and keep everybody happy every week. If I were in this position I would try to be completely transparent in my descions regarding the starting lineup each week. I might even ask for input from the owner of the team that plays the dummy each week, as well as a couple of others so there is less opportunity to second guess after the fact. Whatever is done, it has to be consistent with the first 3 weeks in order to be fair for the entire league.

More than anything else, I would beat the bushes to get someone else to manage the team for the season and get it off my plate.
Battlecreek Dragon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby mothaudio » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:32 am

It seems that after the Commish set up the Dummy team another owner took it over at some point but he never made an announcement. The "Dummy team" just responded to my question on our home page but never said who he was. It seems a litle odd to me that either he wouldn't ahve introduced himself or that the Commish wouldn't have said something about the change in status.
mothaudio
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby spodog » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:13 pm

Sounds like the dummy team may not be so dumb afterall.

The dummy may be the individuals who agreed to play in a 12 team league with only 11 owners at the draft. You have to agree on what will happen with a ghost team BEFORE it happens.

Better method with 11 teams is just let 1 team play the League average each week as their opponent rather than trying to fill up a 12th team.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mariners100 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:28 pm

I agree with playing the league's average each week. We changed the average each week based on the previous week's scores. For week 1 we used the average from last year. It worked good. The "ghost team" won 2 games but it was good because people had to still look at their rosters even though they were playing this team.
GOT 6? WE DO!
mariners100
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Commissioner's Corner