Does a Blocked Field Goal count as a Missed Field Goal? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Does a Blocked Field Goal count as a Missed Field Goal?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Does a Blocked Field Goal count as a Missed Field Goal?

Postby BCGrindrod » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:46 pm

I have Folk (Dal) as my kicker for Week 3. Our league hosts it on My Fantasy League.

It appears that during the game, the Bears blocked a field goal. In the league scoring system, my opponent who happened to have the Bears DEF is credited with the blocked field goal but Folk gets negative points for a missed field goal.

Now before I go guns blazing to the commish and cry foul, I wanted to know if it is standard procedure that a blocked field can be credited to the DEF but also counts as a missed field goal for the kicker.

Thanks in advance!
BCGrindrod
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Does a Blocked Field Goal count as a Missed Field Goal?

Postby edanono » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:07 am

It's too late to be crying foul over this. The rules had to be in place before the season started. I would suggest bringing it up to be changed next year if you dislike it that much.

What I have done in ours is only penalize kickers for a missed/blocked extra point. It makes more sense to me to run it that way since an extra point should be a slam dunk.

But don't start a pissing match over this. It is a small amount of points.

Da Nutz
DA Nono
edanono
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Goody » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:28 am

Yes, a blocked kick counts as a missed field goal, even on the kickers statistics (outside of fantasy football). Hope this helps!
OKCHomers
OKCFFL Auction
Goody
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BCGrindrod » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:17 pm

Goody wrote:Yes, a blocked kick counts as a missed field goal, even on the kickers statistics (outside of fantasy football). Hope this helps!

Yes it does!

thanks for answering my question.
BCGrindrod
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby spodog » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:34 pm

Goody wrote:Yes, a blocked kick counts as a missed field goal, even on the kickers statistics (outside of fantasy football). Hope this helps!

HOLD ON!

This is not always the case. We had an issue with this in our league as well, and so we looked into the NFL Rules and the way that Elias treats the different FG block situations statistically.

Here is the write up from our league on this. Keep in mind our league's scoring rules are referenced in here, so you'll have to substitute in your league's rules:

A question has came up about how our league scores FG Attempts which are blocked.

Our League Scoring Rules assign the following scores for any kick that is recorded statistically by the NFL as a misssed FG attempt. By NFL rule, all blocked FG attempts are considered missed FG attempts.

> -1 point to the Kicker who missed the kick due to the block

> 0 points to the Special Teams unit who blocked the kick

(the special teams unit only scores points if they block the kick and return it the other way for a TD)

In order for a kick attempt to be considered a blocked kick by the NFL, the Kicker must kick the ball, and a defender gets a hand on the ball, AND the ball does not travel beyond the line of scrimmage.

If a kicker gets the kick off and a defender gets a hand on the ball and the ball travels past the line of scrimmage, this is scored by the NFL as a deflected kick, and is not reported statistically as a blocked kick, therefore there are no FFL scoring impacts in this case.

If a kicking unit aborts the kick attempt, as in the case of a fake FG attempt where the holder runs the ball or in the case of a bad snap in which the kicker never gets a chance to kick, these situations are not recorded by the NFL as missed FG's, and do NOT subtract points from the Kicker. There are also no K scoring impacts for your FFL kicker in these situations.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Commissioner's Corner