Fantasy Etiqute - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Fantasy Etiqute

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Fantasy Etiqute

Postby JasonSeahorn » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:05 pm

Kensat30 wrote:If there is big money at stake and it's not against the rules, by all means take your player out.

Otherwise, leave him in. It's no fun to shove someone's nose in a 0.8 point loss, especially if you turned into a female orifice and pulled your QB at the last second. Rub their nose in their loss while your player is putting up more points and digging them into a deeper hole on Monday Night Football. Isn't that a "man law"? The more you beat down on someone, the more you can rub it in. With a 0.8 point win, you almost have apologize for being such a wuss that you barely won against such a terrible terrible opponent. It's a hollow victory.

i love when close wins like that happen in one of my money leagues, we call it squeaking by. we send pictures of mice and other various mouse-related things to the winner that week

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ballsofbrooklyn » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:37 pm

i'm sure none of your opponents would protest if you somehow accidentally left out peyton manning... why should they care if you pull a risky QB
TAKE THE WIN!
As long as you play by the rules, there is no etiquette in fantasy sports.

a word of warning:
sometime close wins end up as close loses after an unexpected next-day scoring adjustment. happened to me once already this season (campbell/portis handoff fumble... won the game by 1.8 points only to find out the next afternoon i lost by .2 points) :-°
ballsofbrooklyn
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby jmog » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:45 pm

Leaving a starting position "empty" or with someone who is on bye or someone who is known 100% to be injured and out (of course you can't always predict if a "doubtful" or a "questionable" is really going to play) is a forfeit in our league if you win, and if you lose then oh well, especially since total points in our league gets more money than league playoff champ.

Its all about fair play and competition, if you leave a starting spot "open" then thats either not fair to whoever else might need you to win that week, and its not fair competition to the guy you are playing if its because you are worried about negative points.
jmog
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 25)

Postby Battlecreek Dragon » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:29 pm

Here is a slight variation of the same question.

If your TE has a bye this week and your opponent has several players out for the same reason, should you have to drop a player to pick up a TE that is playing to beat the guy by 50 instead of 45?

I'll start the TE who isn't playing to meet the starting lineup requirement, but I should not have to make a roster change just to beat the guy worse if I don't want to.
Battlecreek Dragon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby eaglesrule » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:30 pm

jmog wrote:Leaving a starting position "empty" or with someone who is on bye or someone who is known 100% to be injured and out (of course you can't always predict if a "doubtful" or a "questionable" is really going to play) is a forfeit in our league if you win, and if you lose then oh well, especially since total points in our league gets more money than league playoff champ.

Its all about fair play and competition, if you leave a starting spot "open" then thats either not fair to whoever else might need you to win that week, and its not fair competition to the guy you are playing if its because you are worried about negative points.

If there is a rule, then you are abosolutely right. But to have any integrity, the league needs to be predicated on one thing: everyone playing to win within the structure of the rules. To make someone fill out a starting lineup sans rule is MOST unfair to the person whose team it is. You are taking away his ability to make decisions about his lineup. After all, the main point of this game is to win within the rule structure. On a week-to-week basis, the point is to determine from your players the maximium number of points. So if you think that end is compromised by leaving someone in, it certainly is your prerogative to take a player out who is going to hinder your overall goal of winning. Again, that is the point. Make a rule about having a full starting roster if you want. But if there is no rule, I don't know who the hecks business it is other than mine, how I allocate my resources on said roster.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Bowie » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:19 pm

If you are up by .8, which do you think is more likely:

1. Your player gets negative points costing you the win?
2. There is a stat correction costing youthe win?

My point is this, sitting your player does not guarantee anything as long as stat corrections are a reality.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby pangbones » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:18 am

dream_017 wrote:A full and complete starting roster should be submitted each and every week. If a full roster is not submitted you should get an L.

Totally agree with that!! You must submit a full lineup each week in my leagues. In fact, the site I use won't allow you to have an illegal lineup.
pangbones
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eaglesrule » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:12 am

pangbones wrote:
dream_017 wrote:A full and complete starting roster should be submitted each and every week. If a full roster is not submitted you should get an L.

Totally agree with that!! You must submit a full lineup each week in my leagues. In fact, the site I use won't allow you to have an illegal lineup.

great make a rule like that. however, the rule isn't in place here....
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby exp » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:15 am

If there's no rule against it there's absolutely nothing wrong with leaving a starting slot empty. However, it may not be the best decision considering the possibility of tiebreakers (overall points) and stat corrections. Personally I'd almost never do it.
exp
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Fantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Football Talk