Bill O'Reilly's comments - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

Bill O'Reilly's comments

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Bill O'Reilly's comments

Postby josebach » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:19 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:
josebach wrote:I hate to tell you, but both extremes (left and right) have problems with facts and reason. When one is so committed to one side, they stop listening to anything the other side says. And let me fill you in... neither side is all right or all wrong.


Ya, Mon...
I'll give you that. ;-)

I'm just playing. I come here for fun. Work is where I have to be serious. The Cafe is my escape from work... while I'm at work. :-D


I know that dude. You're not a vindictive guy at all and I didn't take you comments that way. ;-D :-)
Image
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 4611
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tallahassee, FL

Re: Bill O'Reilly's comments

Postby Karoz » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:42 am

5 wrote:
josebach wrote:Here's some "truth"

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/10 ... kris1.html


One of my favorites... people claiming moral superiority only to prove otherwise by their own actions. And before you say it was settled out of court, know that he paid her $2,000,000 to shut her up.


I still get a kick out of how popular this guy is..."Who's Looking Out For You?" sold a lot of copies. And he also wrote "The O'Reilly Factor For Kids". Every time I turn on his show, he's talking about child predators...seriously, every time. Ever wonder why he's so passionate? :-? Reminds me a little of Foley being the Chairman for House Caucus Missing & Exploited Children. And Craig talking about what a naughty boy Clinton was and opposed the gay lifestyle time and time again.

Well at least they're entertaining. Funny crowd, these guys. :-b


I realize you're joking, but it will only be a matter of time before your statement is taken out of context just as Bill's was. If someone were to take your statement and exclude the final line, they could misconstrue it to suggest that you are legitimately suggesting that O'Reilly is a child predator. When comments are converted into text, you aren't able to hear the tone of the person's voice nor the expression on their face. All you get are words that can be twisted any way the media wants to twist them.

My views tend to be similar to those that are held by most conservatives. I watch O'Reilly with the understanding that he has a conservative bias. He works for Fox News, the conservative news network, so people should come to expect some of his statements to fall to the right. The same goes for other anchors on networks such as MSNBC, only with their statements falling to the left. Some people, however, can't seem to handle the thought of someone making statements that are contrary to their own beliefs. These sort of people like to take comments out of context to try and demonize the perpetuators of said comments.

While I understand and fully welcome the idea of calling out O'Reilly and others' comments as being incorrect, I certainly don't think that they deserved to be called "d0uch3s" or "jackasses" just for voicing their opinions.

I do agree that O'Reilly should stop suggesting that his show is a "no spin" zone, though.
Image
Karoz
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1697
Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tennessee

Re: Bill O'Reilly's comments

Postby josebach » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:45 am

Karoz wrote: While I understand and fully welcome the idea of calling out O'Reilly and others' comments as being incorrect, I certainly don't think that they deserved to be called "d0uch3s" or "jackasses" just for voicing their opinions.

I do agree that O'Reilly should stop suggesting that his show is a "no spin" zone, though.


He's called a "d0uch3" and a "jackass" not because of his opinions, but because of the hateful, intolerant and patronizing way he expresses them. I take it you you agree with a lot of his opinions considering you watch him, right? Is anybody here calling you a "d0uch3" or a "jackass"?

Even though I agree with some of his stances, I personally think people like him are largely responsible for the division in this country. Tolerance and compromise... what's that? :-t
Image
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 4611
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tallahassee, FL

Re: Bill O'Reilly's comments

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:08 am

josebach wrote:Tolerance and compromise... what's that?


Signs of weakness and indecision. :-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: Bill O'Reilly's comments

Postby Karoz » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:26 pm

josebach wrote:
Karoz wrote: While I understand and fully welcome the idea of calling out O'Reilly and others' comments as being incorrect, I certainly don't think that they deserved to be called "d0uch3s" or "jackasses" just for voicing their opinions.

I do agree that O'Reilly should stop suggesting that his show is a "no spin" zone, though.


He's called a "d0uch3" and a "jackass" not because of his opinions, but because of the hateful, intolerant and patronizing way he expresses them. I take it you you agree with a lot of his opinions considering you watch him, right? Is anybody here calling you a "d0uch3" or a "jackass"?

Even though I agree with some of his stances, I personally think people like him are largely responsible for the division in this country. Tolerance and compromise... what's that? :-t


Usually, I only find myself agreeing with Mr. O'Reilly occasionally. I watch the show to see a debate, at least the best attempt at one you can find on television.

The reason for the namecalling is up for interpretation I suppose. The way that I perceived it, at least in this thread, is that people have an initial dislike of him due to his views, then overmagnify the way that he gets his statements across, and try to use that as an excuse for calling him those aforementioned names.

I haven't been the target of any namecalling as of yet because of the quality of the community. The posters in this thread have proven that they can hold a politically based discussion without attacking their fellow debators. That is an excellent characteristic, as a lot of people can't hold a political debate without resorting to animal like behavior almost immediately. However, just because someone has acted in a civil nature towards the fellow posters doesn't mean that they are above the art of taking shots at well-known political figures. O'Reilly is a polarizing figure that is associated with one particular party. Some people seem to have no problem taking shots at individuals such as that. I'm not saying that I would be above such behavior if I were to ever find myself involved in a debate regarding someone that I had an extreme dislike for. However, I would certainly try to shy away from namecalling, as the targeted individual definitely wouldn't deserve it.

The country is divided politically, with people on both sides perpetuating several extreme views on their outermost edges. Tolerance and compromise is great, but we will never see it anywhere near politics. It's kind of like haggling to buy a car, if you want to pay a slightly lower price, then you offer the dealer an extremely low price, so that maybe he'll settle and sell it to you for the slightly lower price. He might even throw in a set of free tires. However, if you were to go in there and ask for a slightly lower price to begin with, then he would probably only settle on an average price with no added benefits. Basically, in the case of our two main political parties, the dealer is asking for an unreasonably high price and the buyer is asking for an unreasonably low price. Neither one is willing to budge.

If side one takes the first step and compromise a few of its positions, and side two doesn't follow suit, then side one will lose a few of its bargaining weapons in its political arsenal.
Image
Karoz
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1697
Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tennessee

Previous

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 3:24 hours
(and 45 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact