How many starting RB's do you guys keep on your roster? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How many starting RB's do you guys keep on your roster?

Moderator: Football Moderators

How many starting RB's do you guys keep on your roster?

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:26 am

Some get 2 early and just a backup to rotate on bye weeks, some want 3-4 good ones in case of injuries, how do you guys value the position? Im not talking about total backs, I just mean backs that you consider starting each week

I usually go with 2 early on and trade for a very solid 3rd before the year starts...I have Gore, Portis, and Barber all on my bench and I cant stress how important is to make sure you always have 2 great backs on your team....injuries and byes are always over looked early on, and with injuries piling up, you dont want your season to fail all due to one injury...and you dont want to chalk it up as a loss as soon as one or your backs get a bye week...

ive been asked several times for trade offers trading either of my backs for a WR straight up, but i dont believe in being too greedy early on, if a season ending injury happens your basically screwed, having a strong rb rotation i feel like its easier to fill in other positions while making your you get solid rb production each week
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Re: How many starting RB's do you guys keep on your roster?

Postby Kilroy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:32 am

LS2throwed wrote:Some get 2 early and just a backup to rotate on bye weeks, some want 3-4 good ones in case of injuries, how do you guys value the position? Im not talking about total backs, I just mean backs that you consider starting each week

I usually go with 2 early on and trade for a very solid 3rd before the year starts...I have Gore, Portis, and Barber all on my bench and I cant stress how important is to make sure you always have 2 great backs on your team....injuries and byes are always over looked early on, and with injuries piling up, you dont want your season to fail all due to one injury...and you dont want to chalk it up as a loss as soon as one or your backs get a bye week...

ive been asked several times for trade offers trading either of my backs for a WR straight up, but i dont believe in being too greedy early on, if a season ending injury happens your basically screwed, having a strong rb rotation i feel like its easier to fill in other positions while making your you get solid rb production each week

You, my friend, are a backaholic.

It's all good, we have meetings and everything.

There's free donuts. ;-D :-B

Seriously, I have one fantasy mantra, and it ain't "Always Start Your Studs".

You can never have too many running backs (especially good (non-RBBC, fairly productive) ones).

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby JasonSeahorn » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:51 pm

i want my first 3 backs to be solid. my 4th and/or 5th backs are usually ones i consider sleepers with upside but not someone i would normally start. it depends how the draft is going too...if it's 7th or 8th round and marion barber is there i'm taking him.

but i want 3 solid backs for sure

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Regalus » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:09 pm

In one league this year, I went with two RB who I thought were solid starters, then filled in elsewhere based on need, then later picked up backups(either starters or RBBC). Other leagues prioritized to get at least 3 solid RB. Needless to say the league with the two RB who I thought would be sure bets, I am 1-2 in. My worst team of them all.

I think next year I will prioritize and make sure to get at least 3-4 solid RB's.
Regalus
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:15 pm

I like to try and have no less than three starting RBs if possible. I am very much loving the leagues I'm in where I snagged Barber as my number 3. All total I usually carry 4-5 RBs depending on the league. In my mind you need to have a third starter for bye week and match-up fillers.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:21 pm

moochman wrote:I like to try and have no less than three starting RBs if possible. I am very much loving the leagues I'm in where I snagged Barber as my number 3. All total I usually carry 4-5 RBs depending on the league. In my mind you need to have a third starter for bye week and match-up fillers.

yes agreed, same with me...your in a VERY good position if you have Barber as your RB3, I still start him certain matchups now that ive seen what he does, but after those 3 I just have Betts to handcuff Portis and im set all year if the injury bug doesnt bite me
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Guru13 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:25 pm

I actually have only 2 starting rbs in 2 of my leagues..and it's hurting, I almost always try to go with 3 starters minimum, usually more, of course it's tough to get that many starters, but often times the WR pool is very deep so you can always grab guys with value late, which is what I often times do.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby DraftDodger » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:33 pm

All of them, LOL. I wish. 4-6, depending on the draft and free agency. At worst they are great trade bait or they're denying another league member a solid starter. I'd rather have Lamont Jordan on my bench and force someone with an injury or bye to rely on Sammy Morris, than have a slightly higher-rated starting WR.

Trading to get a RB can be a nightmare, and once the season settles in a bit, getting one off the waiver wire is a crapshoot at best. It's the best position to overload. Sometimes I forget this and start stocking up on QBs or something and have to slap myself back to reality.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby sadlyajetsfan » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:27 pm

last year i was in an auction league and ended up with a ton of depth and no real rb studs. as the season progressed rbs went down and i got a ton of trades off and considering how cheap i got rbs like TJ or deuce for i was able to build a solid team. even though i did a snake draft i decided to take a good amount of rbs for my bench and make some FA pickups along the way. right now we start 3 and i have 7, 1 of them being a hand cuff. i think its better to have more because you can do alot more in terms of trading and your team wont be killed by an injury
sadlyajetsfan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:01 pm

Yes I see plenty of guys who stockpile Rb's more then they need because they can trade their team better off then they would drafting...i see it every year, a guy ends up taking 5 feature backs in the draft, and lacking elsewhere, but you trade 1 or 2 before the season starts, after that just keep who you have...

when things happen like duece goes down, s jax etc, those guys come calling because they know you have backs to part with, but you can control the price because they need a back and they need to make the deal however they can...

ive never tried it, because I didnt want to get jammed up by teams not trading with me in time before week 1
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero