Fractioanl points - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Fractioanl points

Moderator: Football Moderators

Fractioanl points

Postby FantaSith » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:54 pm

hello all,

I am currently trying to get one of the leagues I am an owner in to start using fractional scoring and some of the owners are really against it. Personally I feel that there are many great reasons for it and almost no real reason to not have it.

My reasons for having it;

-Greatly reduces the chance of a tie, in which case our league uses bench points. Quite simply TIES are retarded and breaking them with bench points is almost as retarded. I mean really why should your bench count for anything...you sat them so you shouldnt get anything for it.

-Fractional points get you what your players actually did.(PERIOD) If you get paid $20 an hour and work 4.5 hours would you be OK with being paid for only 4 hours??? I would be pissed if I didnt get paid for that 0.5 hour.

Thoses 2 reasons are good enough to do it, and the reasons I have been given so far seem very lame...hee is what soem have said.

-Nonfractional scoring leaves it chance...(that is lame...why leave it to chance???)

-People are gona be mad they lost by 0.5 points...( I would be much more pissed off if I lost because some deusche bag won because he had 2 QB's on his bench) Its gona change the outcome of games...but so does the stupid tie breaker rule. Atleast the fractional changes the outcome based off of hte players you are actually playing.

Any thoughts opinions would be greatly appreciated, also please feel free to included your league rules/bylaws.

Thanks fellas...

-And then there are all sort of other things they say like...then we have to change this and that,
FantaSith
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Fractioanl points

Postby Cards24 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:07 pm

We have been using fractional points since the inception of our league 5 years ago. That is the way to go imo. Every yard and every sweat your players put on the line is reflected on the scoreboard. In fact I lost this season by 0.4 points. Could be frustrating but I cant argue because its is what it is. I would be more upset if I lost due to a rounded scoring system.

Below are the positions we have fractional points in. We also award bonus points for BIG plays.

Passing
INT -2
TD 6 Bonus 4 points if 40+ yards
Conversion 2
Passing Yards 0.04 per yard

Rushing
TD 6 Bonus 4 if 15+ Yards
Conversion 2
Rushing Yards 0.1 per yard

Receiving
TD 6 Bonus 4 if 40+ yards
Conversion 2
Receiving Yards 0.1 per yard
Best Damn Fantasy Football League
Cards24
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby steelerfan513 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:27 pm

What arguments can be made against using fractional points?
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby sweeper193 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:13 pm

fractional points are definitely the way to go, however, if you're already a few weeks in to a season you can't switch to fractional points, who knows if the out come of any games would be changed.. so that is probably the main reason other owners would be against changing at this point
sweeper193
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby FantaSith » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:04 pm

can anyone give me some good points to bring up on this matter...we are having a league meeting in a few weeks and I want to be prepared to make a good argument.

if you could also think of any reason other people may say FRACTIONAL is not good...let me know, with any rebuttles

thanks a bunch...
FantaSith
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Battlecreek Dragon » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:12 pm

I can't think of one single argument against fractional points unless your league likes 1) the idea of having games end in a tie, 2) breaking ties with a method that uses something other than the starting lineup, or 3) the possibility that a team with better overall player stats can lose a game to a team with lesser stats.

For example:

1 point per 10 yards rushing and receiving, no fractional points.

Just looking at 4 positions (RB's and WR's) for discussion
If you had four guys on your team that each got 79 yards.
Your opponent got the following from his 4 guys - 60 yards, 70 yards, 70 yards and 90 yards.
You lose 29 - 28 even though your players had better stats (316 yards - 290 yards).

With fractional points, you win 31.6 - 29.0
Battlecreek Dragon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby FantaSith » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:27 pm

good point Battlecreek, even better example that should make more people side with me.

anymore points people???
FantaSith
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby dgan » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:41 pm

The only argument I can make AGAINST fractional points is if someone is still pulling stats from the newspaper like I did in the old days.

Of course, if you're still doing that, I'd have to question the intelligence of your league in the first place. :-b

The main argument you may hear is that it all evens out in the end anyway. You get some breaks, you lose some. However, you must counter with this argument:

If my 'bad break' comes in a game decided by less than a point, and my 'good breaks' come when I would have won by 20 points anyway, how is it really coming out even?

Fractional points is the only way to go.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby steelcurtain » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:53 pm

Yup Fractional Points are the way to go...Like you stated it gives the total points for what players earn, and I think this is reason enough.
steelcurtain
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby falcotg4 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:48 pm

My league has used fractional scoring for three seasons now. Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is that fractional scoring allows you more flexibility for setting up scoring rules. For instance, we award .25 point per completion / reception. We felt one PPR was too much, but still wanted to reward the stat. The quarter point has proven to be meaningful, but not overpowered.

Our closest game in three years was decided by .03 points. That's as close to a tie as we've seen.
falcotg4
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 5)

Return to Commissioner's Corner