Having trouble uninstalling a program... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Having trouble uninstalling a program...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Having trouble uninstalling a program...

Postby LukeW9027 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:37 pm

I am trying to uninstall an old video game so i can re-install it so it runs smoother, but when I try to uninstall, an error comes up that reads "Unable to locate installation log file 'uninst.isu'. Uninstallation will not continue." Any tech savvy people that could help me out?

The Future is here
LukeW9027
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: "In Greek Mythology,The Titans were even greater than the gods" Coach Boone

Re: Having trouble uninstalling a program...

Postby moonhead » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:40 pm

you might try putting the cd in as if you were going to install it. sometimes it comes up with options such as repair, uninstall, install. you could attempt to repair, or uninstall off the disc. if not, just delete the old folder and reinstall it. or try just reinstalling over the top. if you need to you could delete the .dat files or whatever the saved games files are if you want to.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby josebach » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:44 pm

I've seen something similar to this before and the solution was to reinstall the game on top of the existing game without uninstalling it first... assuming it will let you do that of course. That will restore the game to the unpatched original version and should allow you to uninstall it. I was trying to uninstall my game to get it off my PC, I wasn't trying to un-install it so I could turn around and install it right back. That doesn't sound like a good solution to me. What game is it? What are the minimum requirements? What's your hardware? How exactly is it not running smooth?
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby SniperShot » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:39 pm

Ah the impossible to uninstall problem. Usually this happens when you delete a game from your program files or wherever it was but it still shows up in the add/remove list, so when you go to uninstall you get crap errors and nothing happens. :-P

Most games have their own file used to uninstall. When you delete the folder the uninstall file was in, the uninstall file is lost. Yet the settings in registry, and/or saved games in my documents or accessory files elsewhere remain which usually causes the slowdown. To fix this just reinstall the game and uninstall. If this doesn't work (sometimes it hasn't for me) you have to either edit the registry by hand or do searches for all key files that might be hidden somewhere. Or you can just remove the program from your add/remove list and forget about it which I've also done in the past without many problems, usually because I format my operating system every other year or so I don't get any major long term problems.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby RiffRaff » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:33 pm

Try CCleaner. It's a free program. Read reviews on download.com to see if it is right for you.

http://www.ccleaner.com is the better place to download from though.

Sometimes there uninstaller program can do what your windows uninstaller cannot.

Good Luck. ;-D
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby moonhead » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:36 pm

RiffRaff wrote:Try CCleaner. It's a free program. Read reviews on download.com to see if it is right for you.

http://www.ccleaner.com is the better place to download from though.

Sometimes there uninstaller program can do what your windows uninstaller cannot.

Good Luck. ;-D

yeah not a bad prog. you might get eusing free registry cleaner while you're at it. it does a good job.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby J2thez929 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:08 am

Tuneup Utilities 2007 has a fully-functional 30 day trial. It has a ton of tools and one of them in an uninstaller. I haven't seen it not work.
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to General Talk