Is it just me or..... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Is it just me or.....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Is it just me or.....

Postby josebach » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:39 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:If you click on the rankings section, you get a current article. :-?

Now you do, I was talking about the month preceding the season when most people do their research and are looking for good fantasy sites.

My comments were meant to help the cafe, not bash it. I think a reasonable person would see that.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:45 pm

josebach wrote:
knapplc wrote:
josebach wrote:Well, if there is a decline or lack of growth, I think improving our rankings section could help. I think one of the main attributes of a fantasy football site that people look for are the rankings. 2 main things stand out with the cafe's rankings:

1) We don't have an overall ranking section that ranks all positions together
2) the individual rankings we do have haven't been touched since June 22nd

Granted, we also have some nice mock drafts, but even the most recent mock draft occurred before pre-season games even started. Considering most people don't even draft until a week or two before the season starts, I think improving the rankings section, keeping it up to date and then promoting it as a staple of the cafe would be quite beneficial. Just a thought.

:-?

By rankings, do you mean player rankings? We do those every week - Start/Sit. On top of that Pat does his Defense Rank Thingamajobber every year, and he even started it this week (a week early) to account for demand. I don't see the benefit of one lump ranking for all players after the draft. Do you use that, and if so what do you use it for?

Otherwise our Rankings section is also updated weekly, but with NFL Team Power Rankings instead of Player Rankings.

I'm talking about a first time visitor clicking on the rankings section, seeing that it has a June 22nd date and then leaving before they go any further. I'm not saying that's why I come to the cafe, but I think addressing this will help get new traffic.

EDIT - I didn't read your post just above this one before writing this. It's all clear now. ;-D

OK, but you're also talking pre-season, not now, right?

If so (and I think you are now that I reread your first statement) that makes more sense.

The thing about the Mocks and stuff is that they're really disorganized. Guys take on the task of doing a mock (and hence a ranking) on their own, then have to find the guys, run the mock, and then create the "story" for publishing.

Also, my experience this season was that there an inordinate number of flakes in the various mocks and drafts I did. I can't remember a year where there were so many skipped picks, guys who had to be replaced, etc. I'm talking about Cafe Vets, not just n00bs, too. I was very disillusioned by the Cafe drafts I did this summer, which has probably put a damper on my enthusiasm for the Cafe as a whole right now.

I think your suggestion is well founded, though. Maybe next year we need to be far more deliberate about these things.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:08 pm

can we get back to post whoring, please? :-B
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:11 pm

josebach wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:If you click on the rankings section, you get a current article. :-?

Now you do, I was talking about the month preceding the season when most people do their research and are looking for good fantasy sites.

My comments were meant to help the cafe, not bash it. I think a reasonable person would see that.

OK, well I didn't realize you were talking about preseason. I agree and it was talked about in preseason as well, but we just didn't get the contributors that we needed to get stuff updated and finished.

And I totally realize that you were trying to help. I would be the last person to say you were trying to bash the Cafe by making suggestions.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:12 pm

moonhead wrote:can we get back to post whoring, please? :-B
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SniperShot » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:31 pm

I agree with ya knapp. I was part of a great mock draft this past offseason that never got published because... I have no idea why it never got published but it didn't. :-t

More regularly updating articles/information is very important I think. We get knocked by reviewers from times (from what I've seen) for having a very uninspiring site but great forums. The problem is many people only see the site and will only look for forums if they like what they see.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby treat24 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:35 pm

Next year, and i'll even head it up if need be... maybe an ADP ranking table based on mocks that come in. Of course mocks run differently. but if we can get a group of guys together that is willing to meet on a mock drafting site once a week. we can keep the mocks updated. I/we/someone could write on some movers and shakers in the mocks as well. If we can get 10-12 guys that can find 30-60 or so minutes for a quick mock once a week, I would have no problem updating and writing on it weekly. Would this solve that problem?
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby moonhead » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:42 pm

treat24 wrote:Next year, and i'll even head it up if need be... maybe an ADP ranking table based on mocks that come in. Of course mocks run differently. but if we can get a group of guys together that is willing to meet on a mock drafting site once a week. we can keep the mocks updated. I/we/someone could write on some movers and shakers in the mocks as well. If we can get 10-12 guys that can find 30-60 or so minutes for a quick mock once a week, I would have no problem updating and writing on it weekly. Would this solve that problem?

if i'm not banned by then, count me in.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby josebach » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:59 pm

moonhead wrote:
treat24 wrote:Next year, and i'll even head it up if need be... maybe an ADP ranking table based on mocks that come in. Of course mocks run differently. but if we can get a group of guys together that is willing to meet on a mock drafting site once a week. we can keep the mocks updated. I/we/someone could write on some movers and shakers in the mocks as well. If we can get 10-12 guys that can find 30-60 or so minutes for a quick mock once a week, I would have no problem updating and writing on it weekly. Would this solve that problem?

if i'm not banned by then, count me in.

You always manage to make me smile. :-b

You were one of the posters I missed during my hiatus. Not that you care.

BTW, I'll help out too. The sticky running back thread was great. I think we should have a sticky thread for every position and then have each player ranked for that position link to it. That would be a lot easier and more efficient than giving each player his own page, but would essentially accomplish the same thing.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby treat24 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:03 pm

I don't think threads stickied will do what you are hoping for. It sounded like you were talking about first time visitors. They won't know where to find these stickies. The ranking button on the left is most likely something they will hit first when preparing for their drafts...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk