MAD Manager, what would you do??????????? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

MAD Manager, what would you do???????????

Moderator: Football Moderators

MAD Manager, what would you do???????????

Postby habermanshawn » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:07 am

In our league there was a trade that was accepted. I then received an e-mail that he did it by accident, the trade was S. Jax, B. Favre, and K. Curtis for M. Leinert, D. Bowe and S. Morris. The trade seems pretty shady as it is. I canceled the trade and now the owner getting the better is alll PIS_ED!!! what would other commises do?????
habermanshawn
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: MAD Manager, what would you do???????????

Postby Battlecreek Dragon » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:36 am

Which owner proposed the trade and which accepted?

Which said it was an accident? (I'm asking just in case)

One could easily argue that SJax has limited value at this point as groin tears don't just go away in a week or two. If he misses a few weeks or more and St. Louis loses a few more, don't expect the Rams to rush SJax back onto the field if he is not fully healed.

You need to get to the bottom of the "accident" thing. If the guy accidentally clicked accept instead of decline, or something like that, then it was an accident. How long after acceptance did you get the email from the guy that wants out? If the guy that wants out proposed the trade, then I would have a hard time cancelling it. If he accepted it and waited two days to say it was a mistake......

I'm not sure I'd cancel it on the grounds of it looking shady, because I can argue that it is a reasonable exchange of value.
Battlecreek Dragon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby habermanshawn » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:43 am

the owner with S. Jax said he accidently accepted the trade, the time between him accepting it and e-mailing me was about 2 minutes.
habermanshawn
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby PMoneyTKE » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:52 am

Accident or not, he accepted it, he made the mistake, its his fault. When you starting becoming the judge and the jury on every single trade that is made is when you are getting in some really bad territory. You have to let the system play out how it is supposed to, the ONLY time I would ever intervene is when trades are involving collusion. In this case it wasn't, its obviously not a great trade, but like I said, you have to be careful about what you are doing, its his mistake, its his fault. That said, who actually could accidentally hit the accept button? I mean really...sounds like he accepted the trade and then had second thoughts, sorry pal, you accepted it, you deal with it. Thats what i'd say. ;-D
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Battlecreek Dragon » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:08 pm

I think it depends a little on the makeup of the league and what is at stake.

I agree that you are possibly setting a dangerous precedent by intervening in this case.

If this is a long-time league, you'd like to think the two owners could come to some agreement on their own to recind the deal out of a sense of friendship, sportsmanship, and fair play if it was an honest mistake.
Battlecreek Dragon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby habermanshawn » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:42 pm

thanks guys!!!! I put the trade thru!!! I had another e-mail from the owner saying he didnt know S. Jax was involved, and said nothing about an accident. his mistake!!!!!
habermanshawn
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby steelerfan513 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:46 pm

I'm not a fan of vetoing trades. It's something that I feel only should be done if a trade gets to the point as to obviously unfairly helping or hurting one team.

That being said...

I don't think it's the right call to just let this trade go through. Any trade involving LT, S-Jax, or any other elite back (or once-considered elite back) needs to be at least given a second glance when it happens, and in this case, I think just flat out allowing the trade would be foolish, especially because the owner sent you an e-mail, right after he made the trade, saying that he made a mistake. It is definitely a believable mistake, and the fact that he sent you an e-mail two minutes within acceptance makes it pretty clear that he isn't lying IMO.

Like BattleCreek Dragon said, maybe you should let the owners work this out between them if they know each other. If this is a long term league, just acting in one way or another could leave one person bitter for a long time. If this is just a Yahoo Public league or something like that, then you don't have as much to worry about because you're unlikely to encounter either of these people ever again.

Again, I find it extremely believable that an owner accidentally would hit the accept button, especially due to the time frame between acceptance and notice of the mistake. This trade could seriously impact your league's competitive integrity, and you shouldn't allow this trade with no questions asked. Maybe I'm responding too late for you to change your actions, but that's my 2 cents.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby dgan » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:18 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:I'm not a fan of vetoing trades. It's something that I feel only should be done if a trade gets to the point as to obviously unfairly helping or hurting one team.

That being said...

I don't think it's the right call to just let this trade go through. Any trade involving LT, S-Jax, or any other elite back (or once-considered elite back) needs to be at least given a second glance when it happens, and in this case, I think just flat out allowing the trade would be foolish, especially because the owner sent you an e-mail, right after he made the trade, saying that he made a mistake. It is definitely a believable mistake, and the fact that he sent you an e-mail two minutes within acceptance makes it pretty clear that he isn't lying IMO.

Like BattleCreek Dragon said, maybe you should let the owners work this out between them if they know each other. If this is a long term league, just acting in one way or another could leave one person bitter for a long time. If this is just a Yahoo Public league or something like that, then you don't have as much to worry about because you're unlikely to encounter either of these people ever again.

Again, I find it extremely believable that an owner accidentally would hit the accept button, especially due to the time frame between acceptance and notice of the mistake. This trade could seriously impact your league's competitive integrity, and you shouldn't allow this trade with no questions asked. Maybe I'm responding too late for you to change your actions, but that's my 2 cents.

I agree. Buyer's remorse is one thing, but we all have double-posted here or had some type of technological issue or 'accident'. If he immediately sent the email saying it was not his intention, I would give him the benefit of the doubt.

That said, it is his mistake so I don't think there is a wrong way to handle this. You know your league best...it sounds like you used your best judgement. No argument here.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby ABA316 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:48 pm

What he said. Email was sent IMMEDIATELY so I can believe it is a legit mistake. I would have done the same thing as commish, and if the other owner saw it as an issue I would have encouraged them both to work on another trade that they both liked.
ABA316 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Motown Blues » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:40 am

A couple of years ago I accidentally hit the wrong button and accepted a trade that was CLEARLY one I should have declined (I just remember that it involved Torry Holt). With commissioner power, I simply cancelled it. I was given a hard time for a couple of days, but all for being :-S not for being up to anything shady. My league understood because, simply put: Sh*t Happens. It's one thing if the guy willingly accepted the trade...and totally different bird entirely if he simply clicked wrong. This is one of those rare occasions to actually use your VETO - if you believe the guy (an important disclaimer, of course).
Motown Blues
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner