Ricky Williams applying for reinstatement - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ricky Williams applying for reinstatement

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ricky Williams applying for reinstatement

Postby stomperrob » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:54 am

Williams faces obstacles in resuming career
Alex Marvez
FOXSports.com, Updated 12 hours ago

Though agent Leigh Steinberg insists running back Ricky Williams will play again, exactly when and with whom remains unclear.

Steinberg told FOXSports.com that Williams still plans to apply Tuesday for NFL reinstatement 18 months after being indefinitely suspended under the league's substance-abuse policy. But even if he's allowed to return, the process could take as long as 10 weeks.

Medical advisors will have 45 days to submit an evaluation of Williams once his paperwork is submitted. Commissioner Roger Goodell then has 15 days to render a decision. Should Williams get cleared, Miami has another two weeks to activate or release him.

In a worst-case scenario for Williams, he might not be eligible to play until just three regular-season games remain.

Since coach Cam Cameron was hired in January, the Dolphins have declined comment on whether Williams will be welcomed back. While previously hinting Williams is a goner, Cameron has reason to reconsider.

Miami (0-3) enters Sunday's game against Oakland averaging only 79.7 rushing yards per game with a shaky backup situation behind starting running back Ronnie Brown. The Dolphins also might want to showcase Williams late in the year to spur off-season trade interest.

Even with his suspension history, Williams could still have a market because of his athletic gifts and minimum base salary stemming from his off-field problems. St. Louis coach Scott Linehan publicly expressed interest in April when it appeared Williams was going to reapply for reinstatement.

Williams was barred from doing so after testing positive for marijuana. A source said Williams has subsequently undergone counseling "that's not necessarily drug-related but helping him deal with different issues in his life."

"He's only 30 and could have six or seven more productive years," Steinberg said. "Because of how incredibly disciplined he is with his diet and training, he could have five years of being among the league leaders in rushing and a franchise-builder for a team."

Still, it probably isn't coincidence that all four NFL head coaches Williams played for (Mike Ditka, Jim Haslett, Dave Wannstedt and Nick Saban) no longer have those jobs. In particular, Wannstedt and Saban were burnt for putting too much faith in Williams to help carry their offenses.

Williams has battled psychological illness since his ballyhooed NFL debut in 1999. Traded from New Orleans to Miami, Williams was the league's leading rusher in 2002 and had a 1,372-yard campaign in 2003. But a fallout with Wannstedt and looming four-game suspension for three positive drug tests prompted Williams to abruptly retire in July 2004.

Williams was coaxed into returning for the 2005 season after Saban replaced Wannstedt. Williams finished the year strong and appeared to have reinvented himself through yoga and Buddhist studies.

But Williams was suspended again in February 2006 after testing positive for an unspecified substance that wasn't marijuana, which was the cause of his first three failed tests. The NFL denied a Williams appeal two months later, leading him to play one season in the Canadian Football League.

Asked why Williams should be allowed to become what is believed to be the first five-time drug offender reinstated by the NFL, Steinberg said, "The substance-abuse program is designed to rehabilitate rather than punish. The greatest success they can have is, through counseling and therapy, help young men be productive again ... It's not a success to simply throw young men on the trash heap of history."
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Ricky Williams applying for reinstatement

Postby JasonSeahorn » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:14 pm

Ronnie Brown is crying inside

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:32 pm

I hope we dont see a bunch of "ricky williams is an idiot" post in here...yes he had all the talent of the world to be one of the best to ever play and he blew millions of dollars...Unfortunately not everyone wants to be rich and famous, and his disorder makes him shy away from the public and he never wanted to be the center of attention...

now with that being said, he's not the same back but there are countless teams who could use him and wouldnt mind taking the chance....

Green Bay
New Orleans(again)
Tennessee
NY Giants

and Miami has an outside shot but I HIGHLY doubt they bring him back, he can be cut, and other teams can sign him for the stretch or at the beginning of next year...he can come in and be a vet back to split carries with alot of these teams and will instantly make them better, ricky williams at 70% is more talented then alot of teams starting backfield
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Teck » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:03 pm

LS2throwed wrote:I hope we dont see a bunch of "ricky williams is an idiot" post in here...yes he had all the talent of the world to be one of the best to ever play and he blew millions of dollars...Unfortunately not everyone wants to be rich and famous, and his disorder makes him shy away from the public and he never wanted to be the center of attention...

now with that being said, he's not the same back but there are countless teams who could use him and wouldnt mind taking the chance....

Green Bay
New Orleans(again)
Tennessee
NY Giants

and Miami has an outside shot but I HIGHLY doubt they bring him back, he can be cut, and other teams can sign him for the stretch or at the beginning of next year...he can come in and be a vet back to split carries with alot of these teams and will instantly make them better, ricky williams at 70% is more talented then alot of teams starting backfield

I know we wouldn't mind him here in green bay, we just need a vet to do ANYTHING in the back. but good for ricky if this is true and he's clean this time, i hope to see him in the NFL again
Thanks Wicked for the sig!
Teck
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby bklik » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:22 pm

LS2throwed wrote:I hope we dont see a bunch of "ricky williams is an idiot" post in here...yes he had all the talent of the world to be one of the best to ever play and he blew millions of dollars...Unfortunately not everyone wants to be rich and famous, and his disorder makes him shy away from the public and he never wanted to be the center of attention...

Green Bay
New Orleans(again)
Tennessee
NY Giants

Ricky has made a simple statement over the past years- "Weed is more important to me than getting paid." Props to him for such a statement.

That being said, I think he would fit really well at GB. Favre seems like the guy to accept somebody that wants to win into the team, and I hope to see something of the sort happen for the Packers.
TEAM A
LEINART, farve
HOUSH, ROY WILLIAMS, DRIVER, hackett, bennett, marshal
RUDI, BUSH, JORDAN, green
HEAP

TEAM B
PEYTON
WAYNE, BOLDIN, MARSHALL, gonzalez, marshall
PARKER, GREEN, chester, betts
WINSLOW
bklik
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby benb18a » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:11 am

Unfortunately he would fit well in GB totally, except for his character. If Thompson tepidly went after Moss and then lied to everybody about it, I think it's pretty safe to say that he wouldn't want Williams. However, apparently McCarthy thinks they can keep running the ball <15 times and win football games, which may or may not explain why GB didn't go after any FA RBs this offseason. I don't know who thought it was a good idea to implement a RBBC with Jackson and Morency.

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby moochman » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:22 am

Will someone tell me what the point of this quote was?
Still, it probably isn't coincidence that all four NFL head coaches Williams played for (Mike Ditka, Jim Haslett, Dave Wannstedt and Nick Saban) no longer have those jobs. In particular, Wannstedt and Saban were burnt for putting too much faith in Williams to help carry their offenses

????
I'm sorry, Ricky wasn't why any of these guys lost their jobs. I hate these cheap shots for some clown who has a personal vendetta or is just trying to sound smart. Stick to the issues, Alex.
The real issue is whether the puritan will allow such a repeat offender into his league. You can bet that moral police at NFL HQ will be trying to find every reason to keep Ricky Rasta out of the league.
Then, should that barrier be passed, there is the whole being in shape thing. He came back once and surprized many by being able to recapture his skills, but how many times can you climb that mountain?
I hope he does come back. The NFL needs more exciting players, and Ricky was a heck of a RB.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby PurpleHaze » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:37 pm

Green Bay
New Orleans(again)
Tennessee
NY Giants

Bravo...Very well said ;-D
Sig courtesy of chargersfan36!
PurpleHaze
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Return to Football Talk