Hockey! Yeah, I Said Hockey! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Cafe Games Talk

Hockey! Yeah, I Said Hockey!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Hockey! Yeah, I Said Hockey!

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:08 pm

SniperShot wrote:Hockey should be as big as football. I have no idea why it gets such low ratings in the US. What's not to love about it? It's close to football on ice with the players slamming each other, awesome power plays, speed, fights.

I guess people in the US just don't like the relatively low scoring and simplicity of it or something... I personally love hockey especially around the playoffs and Stanley cup.

I don't really dislike hockey, but you just said it. People in the U.S. don't really like to watch low scoring games (although baseball seems to be an exception). Also, it's too repetitive. Guy skates down ice, guy shoots, guy misses net, over and over again. It's the same thing with soccer, which is why I don't really think either has caught on that much in the U.S.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby matmat » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:37 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
SniperShot wrote:Hockey should be as big as football. I have no idea why it gets such low ratings in the US. What's not to love about it? It's close to football on ice with the players slamming each other, awesome power plays, speed, fights.

I guess people in the US just don't like the relatively low scoring and simplicity of it or something... I personally love hockey especially around the playoffs and Stanley cup.

I don't really dislike hockey, but you just said it. People in the U.S. don't really like to watch low scoring games (although baseball seems to be an exception). Also, it's too repetitive. Guy skates down ice, guy shoots, guy misses net, over and over again. It's the same thing with soccer, which is why I don't really think either has caught on that much in the U.S.

hehe
couple of points
first off, football is repetitive too... guy runs ball, guy throws ball, guy catches ball, guy dances around

the problem with hockey is that it can't really be played in playgrounds and most neighborhoods in the us. . . i mean, good luck getting an ice rink working in the middle of the texas summer. much simpler to throw some pads on and run around or, even, kick a soccer ball around.
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:20 am

Hockey has the best pick 3

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby SniperShot » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:54 am

matmat wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:

hehe
couple of points
first off, football is repetitive too... guy runs ball, guy throws ball, guy catches ball, guy dances around

the problem with hockey is that it can't really be played in playgrounds and most neighborhoods in the us. . . i mean, good luck getting an ice rink working in the middle of the texas summer. much simpler to throw some pads on and run around or, even, kick a soccer ball around.
growing up I used to play street hockey all the time with small balls or other things on inline skates, it was a blast.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby WickedSmaat » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:16 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Hockey has the best pick 3

I think Hockey pick 3 is the easiest to win, atleast it didn't take me long to win over there. Just that I find it hard to migrate to the other sides, I don't have all the cool icons I do over here :-b
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby Madison » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:52 pm

WickedSmaat wrote:Just that I find it hard to migrate to the other sides,

I might have just sniffed one heck of a practical joke.....what if all "post" buttons linked to the hockey side....hmm.......nah, I'm not that evil...or am I? O:-)

SniperShot wrote:growing up I used to play street hockey all the time with small balls

Cut yourself some slack, you said you were still growing up. :-D

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:12 pm

Madison wrote:
WickedSmaat wrote:Just that I find it hard to migrate to the other sides,

I might have just sniffed one heck of a practical joke.....what if all "post" buttons linked to the hockey side....hmm.......nah, I'm not that evil...or am I? O:-)

SniperShot wrote:growing up I used to play street hockey all the time with small balls

Cut yourself some slack, you said you were still growing up. :-D

ZING!!!!!!

Funniest thing I have read all day. :-b
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SniperShot » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:35 pm

:-]

Well we usually used tennis balls but after a while so many were lost down the drains and nobody had any money we just used other random balls like smaller Spalding rubber balls and stuff that was kinda inbetween a tennis ball and golf ball in size instead of pucks or stuff that's used on ice.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby SJNez46 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:00 pm

yup, Americans like lots of scoring.
^soty
SJNez46
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Kaotic Ryit » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:50 pm

SJNez46 wrote:

yup, Americans like lots of scoring.

thats the dumbest thing though.. i mean really...make a TD 2 pts and a FG 1 pt... football games would be 5-3 all the time..... just because something is numerically worth more in one game then another doesnt mean that theres more scoring in football then hockey.
Kaotic Ryit
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe Games Talk