Hockey! Yeah, I Said Hockey! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Cafe Games Talk

Hockey! Yeah, I Said Hockey!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Hockey! Yeah, I Said Hockey!

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:08 pm

Kaotic Ryit wrote:
SJNez46 wrote:
SniperShot wrote:Hockey should be as big as football. I have no idea why it gets such low ratings in the US. What's not to love about it? It's close to football on ice with the players slamming each other, awesome power plays, speed, fights.

I guess people in the US just don't like the relatively low scoring and simplicity of it or something... I personally love hockey especially around the playoffs and Stanley cup.

yup, Americans like lots of scoring.

thats the dumbest thing though.. i mean really...make a TD 2 pts and a FG 1 pt... football games would be 5-3 all the time..... just because something is numerically worth more in one game then another doesnt mean that theres more scoring in football then hockey.

Hockey games typically dont have 8 total goals, and football games wouuld still be more high scoring than that typically. Closer to 7-6. Also, there is a lot more strategy to football, at least from the perspective of the fans. It is easier for a fan to identify a team properly running a 2 minute drill than a well-developed play in hockey, and fans can get into teams blitzing or dropping back into coverage, wheras hockey appears very repetitive to the casual fan.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kaotic Ryit » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:43 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
Hockey games typically dont have 8 total goals, and football games wouuld still be more high scoring than that typically. Closer to 7-6. Also, there is a lot more strategy to football, at least from the perspective of the fans. It is easier for a fan to identify a team properly running a 2 minute drill than a well-developed play in hockey, and fans can get into teams blitzing or dropping back into coverage, wheras hockey appears very repetitive to the casual fan.

i understand your point. however there are TONS of games where 8 goals or more are scored. its hit or miss.... just like this past weekends balt/sf game was a real offensive juggernaut at 9-7 lol.. that would have been a 3-1 game.

i just hate the excuse of oh football is much higher scoring when in reality its not. especially if take away FGs as a secondary scoring option and equate TDs to goals. cause im sure fans really love seeing those 5 FGs in a game and no touchdowns right ;)
Kaotic Ryit
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 2)

Postby whoseyourdaddy12 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:39 pm

Baseball is the worst. Guy pitches. Guy Spits. Guy Pitches. Guy Spits.
whoseyourdaddy12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:14 pm

whoseyourdaddy12 wrote:Baseball is the worst. Guy pitches. Guy Spits. Guy Pitches. Guy Spits.

I'm assuming you don't actually try to follow baseball? That or you're joking? Because if you actually make some miniscule effort to figure out what's going on, baseball has a ton of strategy, and if very fun to watch.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby eskavar » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:18 pm

SniperShot wrote:Hockey should be as big as football. I have no idea why it gets such low ratings in the US. What's not to love about it? It's close to football on ice with the players slamming each other, awesome power plays, speed, fights.

I guess people in the US just don't like the relatively low scoring and simplicity of it or something... I personally love hockey especially around the playoffs and Stanley cup.

Hockey's popularity was actually building quite a head of steam a few years back, but the player's strike where they essentially walked away from an entire season pretty much killed off the momentum.
eskavar Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 16)

Previous

Return to Cafe Games Talk