Bengals Fight Stadium's Pooping Pigeons - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Bengals Fight Stadium's Pooping Pigeons

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bengals Fight Stadium's Pooping Pigeons

Postby sox 06 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:00 pm

Something about this story just makes me laugh, I'm not sure why though :-? :-b
The owners of the stadium where the Cincinnati Bengals play have withdrawn a request seeking city approval to shoot pigeons that have been pooping on fans during games.

Eric Brown, managing director of Paul Brown Stadium, said in a letter to the city manager that officials are going to "continue to explore various alternatives to dealing with this patron issue."

City Manager Milton Dohoney on Friday granted permission to shoot the birds if other methods to discourage the pigeons didn't succeed.

Brown initially asked the city to allow stadium employees to use an air-powered rifle to kill pigeons roosting in the beams and pipes above the stands, raining down poop onto fans and their food and drinks.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals spoke out against the plan Friday, encouraging Mayor Mark Mallory to reject the stadium's request. PETA offered to help develop other solutions such as netting, noise makers and porcupine wire that discourage birds from roosting.

Mallory's office said the mayor also opposed shooting the birds.

Team officials have said they're looking into other ideas, such as strobe lights, netting or noise makers to get rid of the birds.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Bengals Fight Stadium's Pooping Pigeons

Postby beanoX3 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:40 pm

Soldier Field has pigeons there all the time too. They basically sit on the field while the game is being played. One time, Hester ran around the field trying to chase them off before kickoff, but they just flapped over to another part of the field, lol. Soldier Field has also had squirrels running across the field goal net lines during kicks. One was caught on TV falling off into the stands once.

:-b
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:44 pm

Can any of those pigeons play defense?

Oops, did I just say that out loud? :-X

:*)

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tiki » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:01 pm

Madison wrote:Can any of those pigeons play defense?

The Bengals should them to poop on the opposing team. That would be a good def strategy better than what they got going now!
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:11 pm

Well, someone has to play linebacker. :-b
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Nfl Fan » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:48 pm

sox 06 wrote:Brown initially asked the city to allow stadium employees to use an air-powered rifle to kill pigeons roosting in the beams and pipes above the stands, raining down poop onto fans and their food and drinks.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals spoke out against the plan Friday, encouraging Mayor Mark Mallory to reject the stadium's request. PETA offered to help develop other solutions such as netting, noise makers and porcupine wire that discourage birds from roosting.

PETA cracks me up. I have another idea... :-D

Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby joelamosobadiah » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:51 pm

I read this when they first asked for permission to shoot them. While it is humorous, I can definitely see why it would be a real problem to the fans. :-b
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Nfl Fan » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:56 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:I read this when they first asked for permission to shoot them. While it is humorous, I can definitely see why it would be a real problem to the fans. :-b

Turn the cats loose on them, I say!! I mean, think about it... A feral cat is more fearsome than a Ben-gal and it might prove to be more entertaining.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby joelamosobadiah » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:59 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:I read this when they first asked for permission to shoot them. While it is humorous, I can definitely see why it would be a real problem to the fans. :-b

Turn the cats loose on them, I say!! I mean, think about it... A feral cat is more fearsome than a Ben-gal and it might prove to be more entertaining.

Then you'll have cats falling off the rafters to a nasty death in the stands in the middle of a game. I think I would rather deal with the bird crap. :-b
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby beanoX3 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:45 pm

Actually, last year it was either the 49ers game or the Seahawks game, the kickoff return man swerved to avoid some pigeons that refused to fly off and ran directly into 2 Bears special teamers. So they only play special teams right now. :-b

The pigeons get onto the radio broadcast too. There's been lots of times where you can barely hear the play by play over the pigeons' cooing.
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk