Cool Geography Facts

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Cool Geography Facts

Postby knapplc » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:47 pm

josebach wrote:
beanoX3 wrote:
mikus wrote:The one about Ohio having no natural lakes is not true:

Thank you, Wikipedia

Wikipedia isn't a very credible source. Not when any old average Joe can input information.

Considering Wikipedia was correct, it appears to be pretty credible to me... at least for this subject. Where I don't believe Wikipedia should be one's only source of information on any subject, a vast majority of infomation found there is accurate.

Wikipedia is a good place to start. Yes, you, me and the guy down the street can edit most articles, but people watch the edits and correct obvious wrong information.

Case in point - I took it upon myself to deface the Wiki page of my hometown by inserting the sentence, "Fremont is commonly known as 'The Armpit of Nebraska.' " The most "success" I've had doing that is when it lasted about three days before someone changed it. Then there was a battle that lasted about three weeks where I would put that line back in and within a few hours each time it would get taken back out, until some yutz banned me from editing the page for 30 days. :-[

So yes, you can find erroneous information there, but for the most part it's reasonably legit. But you should always use a second reference other than Wikipedia itself.

And just so you all know, Fremont really is the armpit of Nebraska. It's a crappy little town that I'm glad I don't have to live in anymore.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tiki » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:53 pm

Rep yo city!

Pig's Eye suckas! ;-D

That little Pig's Eye tidbit is common knowledge round here from the age of like 7.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:11 pm

knapplc wrote:Wikipedia is a good place to start. Yes, you, me and the guy down the street can edit most articles, but people watch the edits and correct obvious wrong information.

Case in point - I took it upon myself to deface the Wiki page of my hometown by inserting the sentence, "Fremont is commonly known as 'The Armpit of Nebraska.' " The most "success" I've had doing that is when it lasted about three days before someone changed it. Then there was a battle that lasted about three weeks where I would put that line back in and within a few hours each time it would get taken back out, until some yutz banned me from editing the page for 30 days. :-[

So yes, you can find erroneous information there, but for the most part it's reasonably legit. But you should always use a second reference other than Wikipedia itself.

And just so you all know, Fremont really is the armpit of Nebraska. It's a crappy little town that I'm glad I don't have to live in anymore.

Thats hilarious! :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby josebach » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:58 pm

Metroid wrote:
knapplc wrote:Wikipedia is a good place to start. Yes, you, me and the guy down the street can edit most articles, but people watch the edits and correct obvious wrong information.

That is pretty funny. :-D

I'm sure someone wasn't checking it every 3 hours. I wonder if they saved off your comments after they were proven to be "false", and set up a rule or scheduled task where it would automatically search the page every time it's edited for the "armpit" string or something like that? Does anyone know how they handle that? I'm sure there's tons of people that have nothing better to do than go around messing with Wikipedia pages and you'd figure they'd have to have some mechanism in place to handle repeat offenders like our original gangsta Knapp here. :-b That's actually pretty impressive how they handled it.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:42 pm

Yeah, Wikipedia is my first choice of info, but I never, EVER use it in something important without backing it up. I might reference it in a post here or something, but not an article or for SURE don't reference it in a school paper. Best way to get a fail from a lot of professors right there.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:11 pm

josebach wrote:
Metroid wrote:

That is pretty funny. :-D

I'm sure someone wasn't checking it every 3 hours. I wonder if they saved off your comments after they were proven to be "false", and set up a rule or scheduled task where it would automatically search the page every time it's edited for the "armpit" string or something like that? Does anyone know how they handle that? I'm sure there's tons of people that have nothing better to do than go around messing with Wikipedia pages and you'd figure they'd have to have some mechanism in place to handle repeat offenders like our original gangsta Knapp here. :-b That's actually pretty impressive how they handled it.

OG Knapp, thats funny. :-b
Metroid

Postby SJNez46 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:46 pm

knapplc wrote:The one about Ohio having no natural lakes is not true:

Thank you, Wikipedia

Wikipedia isn't a very credible source. Not when any old average Joe can input information.
[/quote]
Considering Wikipedia was correct, it appears to be pretty credible to me... at least for this subject. Where I don't believe Wikipedia should be one's only source of information on any subject, a vast majority of infomation found there is accurate.[/quote]
Wikipedia is a good place to start. Yes, you, me and the guy down the street can edit most articles, but people watch the edits and correct obvious wrong information.

And just so you all know, Fremont really is the armpit of Nebraska. It's a crappy little town that I'm glad I don't have to live in anymore.[/quote]
THis whole little story just cracks me up. :-b
THat one about the 3 inch hole in Texas is pretty cool 8-o
^soty
SJNez46
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:00 pm

knapplc wrote:And just so you all know, Fremont really is the armpit of Nebraska. It's a crappy little town that I'm glad I don't have to live in anymore.

I can vouch for this. :-P
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Metroid » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:23 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
knapplc wrote:And just so you all know, Fremont really is the armpit of Nebraska. It's a crappy little town that I'm glad I don't have to live in anymore.

I can vouch for this. :-P

Well Fremont may be the armpit of Nebraska but Stockton is the butthole of California. %-6

:-b
Metroid

Postby josebach » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:48 am

Tallahassee is in the armpit of Florida, but not because it's a bad place to live, but rather because of it's location in relation to the rest of Florida. Oh, and because of the abundance of trees (pit hair). :-)

josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk