Are You Against "Co-Drivers?" - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Are You Against "Co-Drivers?"

Moderator: Football Moderators

Are You Against "Co-Drivers?"

Postby sox 06 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:18 pm

Whenever I see someone with either a child or pet sitting on their lap while driving, I get a little ticked off. It's fine if you are on a quiet street but I think it's way too much of a distraction and puts others in danger. What's your opinon about having either a child or pet on a person's lap while driving?
LAKE MARY, Fla. -- A mother faces felony child abuse charges after crashing while her 7-year-old daughter drove on her lap. The vehicle crashed into mailboxes and hit a palm tree, but no one was seriously hurt.

The child was treated for a scraped knee, a cut on her forehead and minor burns from the van's air bag.

Forty-two-year-old Lisa Lavoie told police the accelerator must have got stuck when the child mashed it down.

The crash happened over the weekend near the family's home in central Florida.

Police contacted child welfare authorities, who left the girl in her parents' custody. Her father was in the van but not injured.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Are You Against "Co-Drivers?"

Postby knapplc » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:20 pm

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

And pets in your lap while driving? Dumb too. :-S :-B
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:26 pm

Yeah thats stupid and it should be illegal...oh wait IT IS!! Also people text messaging or gabbing on their phones while driving pisses me off too. I hate when I come up behind someone in the passing lane doing 50mph oblivious to whats going on around them, HANG UP AND DRIVE!!!! :-[
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby dream_017 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:45 pm

Metroid wrote:Yeah thats stupid and it should be illegal...oh wait IT IS!! Also people text messaging or gabbing on their phones while driving pisses me off too. I hate when I come up behind someone in the passing lane doing 50mph oblivious to whats going on around them, HANG UP AND DRIVE!!!! :-[

All I say is don't get me started ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby Madison » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:54 pm

Police contacted child welfare authorities, who left the girl in her parents' custody.

Umm....huh? :-?

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:57 pm

dream_017 wrote:
Metroid wrote:Yeah thats stupid and it should be illegal...oh wait IT IS!! Also people text messaging or gabbing on their phones while driving pisses me off too. I hate when I come up behind someone in the passing lane doing 50mph oblivious to whats going on around them, HANG UP AND DRIVE!!!! :-[

why? you like to drive and talk on the phone?
Metroid

Postby dream_017 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:03 pm

Metroid wrote:
dream_017 wrote:

why? you like to drive and talk on the phone?

No, I am with you. I guess the way I wrote it it doesn't sound that way :-/ I drive 40 miles each way to work, so I really hate stupid drivers....and I see a lot of them :-P
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby knapplc » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:11 pm

I'm one of those people who can talk on the phone without it affecting my driving one iota, so initially I was against cell phone driving bans.

But after the past several years of dealing with idiots who have checked while behind the wheel because they have a phone in their ear, I'm very much for the ban. People are basically clueless anyway - one more distraction cuts their abilities just that much more.

I think the genie is out of the bottle now, though, so there's no way we're going to be quit of this problem ever again.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:28 pm

dream_017 wrote:No, I am with you. I guess the way I wrote it it doesn't sound that way :-/ I drive 40 miles each way to work, so I really hate stupid drivers....and I see a lot of them :-P

Yeah the way you wrote it could have went either way but whatever. Yeah I hear ya if you have to drive a lot for work I'm sure you get to see a ton of bad drivers first hand.

knapplc wrote:I'm one of those people who can talk on the phone without it affecting my driving one iota, so initially I was against cell phone driving bans.

But after the past several years of dealing with idiots who have checked while behind the wheel because they have a phone in their ear, I'm very much for the ban. People are basically clueless anyway - one more distraction cuts their abilities just that much more.

I think the genie is out of the bottle now, though, so there's no way we're going to be quit of this problem ever again.

Yeah I can't say I have never answered my phone while driving but when I have I make sure and get over to the right lane, slow down and pay extra care to whats going on around me. Usually a "hey can I call you back I'm driving" is all I say, If it's real important I'll ask them to hold on and pull over. But because of my personal experiences with really bad cell phone drivers and my dislike of when people talk on the phone and drive I have quit doing it all together...I hate being a hypocrite. :-D

Not that its much of a solution but how bout baning anything but hands free phones? Would that solve much? I dunno seems better, like you'd at least have 2 hands on the wheel. :-?
Metroid

Postby beanoX3 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:31 pm

I've never seen anyone drive with a kid on their lap personally, but I have seen people with dogs on their lap. Usually its a small dog, but one time I saw some dude in a pickup with a full grown German shepard in his lap.

As for cell phone drivers, Chicago banned that but I still see people doing it all the time. When these bans were first popping up, I didn't like them since I thought I was fine driving and talking. Then I had a near accident and realized my concentration wavered depending on the type of conversation I was having. So now I try not to talk and drive, or at least keep it short.

My biggest driving peeve right now is people driving with blown brake lights.
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk