Commish setting a lineup - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Commish setting a lineup

Moderator: Football Moderators

Commish setting a lineup

Postby mcmill3 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:27 am

We're using CBS SPortsline, so any transaction done by the commish shows up in Red text on the transaction page. I've noticed it twice already, but he is setting the lineup for his best friend.

I play this team this week and as of a few minutes ago, he has Palmer slated to start (he's on a Bye) and Tony Hunt in at RB (also on a BYE). He has players not on bye's that he can activate.

What are your thoughts on the commish setting his lineup for him? This came up last year and the commish made a comment that the other owner wasn't near a computer so he did it for him. I guarantee the commish will make changes to the lineup before Sunday.

Am I making something out of nothing? I just sent the guy an email asking if he'd be interested in a trade, and if he responds, at least I'll know he does have access to a computer and could have made changes to his lineup.

Do I leave it alone, let the commish know I'll be watching or wait until he makes the changes before bringing it up. I'm sucrious if anyone has witnessed the same shady moves.
mcmill3
Head Coach
Head Coach

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Commish setting a lineup

Postby dream_017 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:48 am

This could go either way, there is probably not enough information to know the exact situation. This other owner may have computer access but has the commish change his line-up because he can't from work/school for some reason. He may be leaving for vacation and asked the commish to change the line-up. Personally, I have no issues with a bye week player being changed for a player that is playing, sure the whole situation is borderline, but as a commish he also has a responsibility to keep the league competitive. I have been known to change to the highest scoring player for a player on bye week for an owner that has not set his line-up. Then I also send out a warning to the owner that I made the change for. Some may disagree with that, but it is my local work league, and that's how I handle it. Back to your issue :-/ - do you really want to play against a team full of bye week players? regardless of how it's handled.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby TN_Titans_05 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:23 pm

Ive had this sitaution come up over the years in one of my leagues. One of the players is my good friend and his dad is also in the league. He told me one time that he was going to pick up players for his dad since he didnt have time to check on it and I told him hell no. Then he said he changed his dads lineup another time because he didnt have time to do it himself. I told him not to because its just not fair. Its not his team and he should not be running it like he owns it. I am all for competative leagues but once the draft has occured, no one but the owner should mess with the teams. I dont care if the team will have people on byes every week, the fact is that its not your team. Period.

They should not have joined the league if they didnt have to time to devote to it. I dont like playing people who dont pay attention because it takes the fun out of it, but changing another owners lineup is just not right. I would be willing to bet that the commish would not change that guys lineup to field a full roster if that guy was palying him.

Not changing another owners lineup is very important in a money league. If its just a fun league with friends, then maybe I can understand it, but I still wouldnt allow it. Just my $.02

C-H-A-M-P-I-O-N-S-H-I-P
TN_Titans_05
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Tusin » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:24 pm

To me this is a tough one. No I dont think the Commish (or anyone for that matter) should be "playing" someone elses team. Its BS. BUT there are situations where the Commish may make a change for someone elses team. For example, say I was doing my Sunday morning injury checks and found out a player I had slated to start it not going to play. And then my Power/Internet who knows goes out. I would call the commish on his cell, or run somewhere to email or try to do something to make it known that I was trying to put in a different player. I would be pretty upset if I was unable to make a change after contacting the commish, when I did my best to let him know before the game started. Might be a little far fetched, but it is possible.
Tusin
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby TruNinerFan » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:34 pm

A guy has no buisness playing FF if he cannot set his own lineup. I understand if a last minute emergency comes up. But, if the commish is chaning his lineup on a Friday, it is not right. I would really have to question this commish helping his friend.

thanks to Franchise Fan for the sig!!!!!
TruNinerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 156)

Postby dgan » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:29 pm

At the very least, the Commish needs to provide the rest of the league with an explanation. Perhaps, as said, it is a temporary situation where there is an emergency or the person has no computer access for one reason or another. But it should be explained and it should not continue.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby ABA316 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:46 pm

As commish of a league I encourage owners to designate team decisions (at least as far as lineups if not total control) to another party if they will be unable to temporarily (vacation, loss of Net access, and such) in order to have every owner field a competitive team at all times. If there was some communication between the owner and commish (preferably email) I see no issues with that.

That said, if the commish took it upon himself, then I feel that is unacceptable EXCEPT if said owner is clearly tanking it.
ABA316 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Motown Blues » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:45 pm

They should not have joined the league if they didnt have to time to devote to it.

That sums it up.

When one manager left my house early from our draft and asked me to "draft for him" I said NOPE. I will pick the next available, highest ranking player left based on the pre-accepted, default list. In other words, you cannot have even the SLIGHTEST bias trickle in. If your interest lies with a team you call your own, you cannot objectively make any decisions for another...particularly if it involves setting a line up.
Motown Blues
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby mariners100 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:31 pm

The commish should not be setting a lineup for anyone. I know that have have recieved e-mails from teams about setting rosters which I decline (they have all week to set a lineup). I have added a player (and dropped one) for one team because he called me in a panic cause he was out of town and Bryon Leftwich was just cut. I normally do not touch a team unless the situation is dire... just my thoughts on the matter.
GOT 6? WE DO!
mariners100
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Goody » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:41 am

I agree with other on this one. I do not feel the commish should ever set the lineup for another owner unless there is an emergency and the owner cannot be at a computer late in the week to make a change to their lineup. Each owner should be proactive enough to set their OWN lineup by sunday. The only exception would be if one of their questionable players they have in their lineup is a game time decision and the owner finds out he isn't playing but isn't by a computer and asks the commish to switch him out. But the commish setting an entire lineup for an owner on Friday is inacceptable.
OKCHomers
OKCFFL Auction
Goody
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner