Man Forced to Change His T-shirt or Leave Plane - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Man Forced to Change His T-shirt or Leave Plane

Moderator: Football Moderators

Man Forced to Change His T-shirt or Leave Plane

Postby sox 06 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:03 pm

TAMPA, Fla. - Southwest Airlines said it will apologize to a passenger who was told he would be removed from a flight if he didn't change clothes, the second time in recent months the budget carrier has been forced to do so.

Joe Winiecki, of Largo, Fla., boarded a Southwest flight in Columbus, Ohio, wearing a fictional fishing shop T-shirt which featured the words, "Master Baiter."

Winiecki, who was travelling home, said he was in his seat when an employee told him he had to change his T-shirt, turn it inside out, or get off the plane.

Winiecki protested that the airline was infringing on his right to free speech, but changed his shirt fearing he would miss the flight and a day's work.

Southwest spokesman Chris Mainz said Friday the employee made a mistake because the Dallas-based airline does not have a dress code.

The airline apologized this summer after a college student wearing a denim miniskirt and a sweater over a tank top was told to change her outfit or get off a flight departing from San Diego.

Kyla Ebbert, who was 23, told the story on "The Dr. Phil Show." She was read a printed apology from Southwest Chief Executive Gary Kelly on the show.

Ebbert was allowed to fly after agreeing to alter her outfit. The airline offered Ebbert free tickets and tried to make light of the mix-up in humourous advertising.

Ebbert declined the tickets.

After the Ebbert encounter, Southwest President Colleen Barrett sent employees a generally worded e-mail reminding them that the airline has no dress code, Mainz said.

Southwest, like other airlines, has language in its contract of carriage that states it reserves the right to deny service to customers whose clothing is "lewd, obscene or patently offensive."

Airline officials have discussed giving employees more specific examples of what is considered lewd or offensive, Mainz said.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Man Forced to Change His T-shirt or Leave Plane

Postby Metroid » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:21 pm

That pisses me off, and I'm a little bummed the guy agreed to change his shirt...no way in hell I would have changed my shirt. And the girl that was told to change...man thats BS. :-t
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Nfl Fan » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:11 pm

Metroid wrote:And the girl that was told to change...man thats BS.

What, Met? You wouldn't want to watch her change?
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Metroid » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:15 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:
Metroid wrote:And the girl that was told to change...man thats BS.

What, Met? You wouldn't want to watch her change?

Uh well yeah...yeah I would. :-D
Metroid

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:15 pm

I know that at the airport here in Amarillo, there have been a couple of times that a passenger has been told that they couldn't board the plane unless they changed their clothes. But in both instances I have heard about, it was lewd clothing. One was a shirt with a huge F bomb on it. This wasn't to A-rod's wife shirt either. I mean, this thing took up the entire back of the shirt. And the other one was a shirt with pictures of skeletons in different "positions" on it. So in some instances I understand. And while I wouldn't wear that shirt and if I had kids, they wouldn't be wearing it, I don't think that he should have been made to take it off.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:01 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:I know that at the airport here in Amarillo, there have been a couple of times that a passenger has been told that they couldn't board the plane unless they changed their clothes. But in both instances I have heard about, it was lewd clothing. One was a shirt with a huge F bomb on it. This wasn't to A-rod's wife shirt either. I mean, this thing took up the entire back of the shirt. And the other one was a shirt with pictures of skeletons in different "positions" on it. So in some instances I understand. And while I wouldn't wear that shirt and if I had kids, they wouldn't be wearing it, I don't think that he should have been made to take it off.

Yeah I mean I can understand it had pr0n on it or really vulgar obscenities on it but all it said was "Master Baiter." I mean come on gimmie break. :-?

Seriously thats just plain funny. :-b
Metroid

Postby SJNez46 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:02 pm

ya, that is pretty funny. :-b
I know someone who has a shirt that shows a fish pooping, and it says bassturd :-b
^soty
SJNez46
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:14 pm

SJNez46 wrote:ya, that is pretty funny. :-b
I know someone who has a shirt that shows a fish pooping, and it says bassturd :-b

Nice. :-b
Metroid

Postby beanoX3 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:28 pm

If this happened to me, I'd probably try real hard to get the employee to explain exactly what is wrong with the words "master" and "baiter". Act all innocent and tell the prude that I like to fish with live bait. Try to create a real life "Wanna get away?" incident.

Anyways, after reading this, if I ever fly Southwest Airlines, I'm going to wear a vaguely offensive t-shirt and fill my carry-on with other vaguely offensive t-shirts. }:-)
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby sox 06 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:31 am

SJNez46 wrote:ya, that is pretty funny. :-b

I have to get one of those shirts :-b
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to General Talk