League size debate/need thoughts, and ideas. Input please! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

League size debate/need thoughts, and ideas. Input please!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Stay 8 teams or go to 10 teams?

8 team league
3%
10 team league
97%

Total votes : 36

League size debate/need thoughts, and ideas. Input please!

Postby BradtheImpaler » Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:06 pm

ATTENTION! this post is now almost a month old, but I am looking to get as many replys as possible, so i can send this to all the owners in the league by seasons end, and give them a good idea of what the majority of FF gamers think.

we are in the second year of an 8 team league.
we basically have 7 good owners, and the 8th owner recently decided he would finally start making some pick-ups/drops as opposed to just making weekly roster adjustments to work around bye weeks, and injuries......and now hes won a couple games in a row and is in 5th place at 4-3.

so now we have 8 competent, active owners, and its a very competitive league as w/w players are usually pretty well picked thru.

I will email the results of this post to all owners when i get 10 or so replies.

first off i will state exactly what are setting are. Yahoo League.....we start.....1qb/3wr's/3rb's/1te/1k/3 defenders.
our rosters consist of 22 players.

I have been petitioning the league to move up to 10 teams.
1.the way i see it is that there will still be enuf stud rb's to go around, as i've looked at other leagues and most of the teams in a 10 team league are still able to have 3 good running backs. I assume the only teams this season that are somewhat thin at the rb position probably took Owens/Moss/Harrison/Vick/Culpepper/McNabb with thier early picks.

2.I also know that each week, that with a roster our size you will find 2/3 bench players each scoring somewhere between 6-12 points.
So it leads me to believe that the points will still be there, as there will be plenty to go around for a couple more teams.

3. We also use indivdual defensive players, and my trio of linebackers have scored over 20 points total in all 7 games so far.
I feel that it would put even more emphasis on your 3 defenders, as the league gets more competative.

4. We currently have a lot of parody as it is. the top team is 6-1, followed by a couple 4-2-1 teams a couple 4-3 a couple 2-5 teams and a 1-6. i think there is a general fear that some teams will suck, and some will be too dominant....but the whole league is capable of drafting well, and in fantasy football you can have the best team on paper, but week in and week out you can still lose the majority of games by just freak occurances. I think ppl forget that fantasy football basically comes down to crap-shoot. Who really knows what guys will do over the course of a season anyways????

5. I also feel that strategy would be applied more, as in our current league, usually unless there a bye or injury, most guys have thier stand-out starters, and they just continue to plug them in. Dont get me wrong, we do lots of work to have the best bench players we can just in case of an emergency, but i think that if we add 2 more teams, then we may have 1-2 less sturdy selections per week. I also feel like there would be more games decided by wildcards so to speak.....like say terry glen last week. If he was starting on your team last week, he may have been the difference, but glen, and quincy carter were both free agents in our league last week, and nobody reaped the benefits of thier big games.

My Final plea is that there will be enuf studs to give each roster an awesome chance, and there are enough points out there on our benches on a weekly basis, to go around for a couple more teams.

I guess the main argument from my opposition was that if your top rb went down, then your season would be over, but from the rosters, and drafts that i have seen, it appears that most teams have 2 or 3 real solid rb's, so you would have plenty of other players to pick up the slack. The way my friend Nate described it, he talked like in a 10 man league you probably could only get 1 stud rb, and that was it. Also in our league we are really up on rb situations. there are never any rb's on the w/w as all the hearsts/barlows/bettis'/zeroues/canidates/betts are picked up and then held onto all season, and when any word of a top rb getting injured leaks out, the back-ups are picked up soon after.

The one solution I may have for the league is to go to a site where we could use offensive flex posisitions, so in the event that some injuries came along, you could at least configure your offense to your strengths.

well, whadda you guys think? Sorry this was sooo long winded, but i really feel this would be good for the competativeness of the league.

and btw heres my 2-5 teams roster.....on paper it looked real good to start the season, but in fantasy football it flopped...and it didnt matter how many studs i had on it.

Hasselbeck Ramsey Carter
Portis Mcallister Dillon Betts Gordon Zeroue
Burress Robinson Driver D Jackson S Moss Chambers
Shockey
Kasay
Chad Brown Warrick Holdman Keith Bulluck Travian Smith Scott Fujuita
Last edited by BradtheImpaler on Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angel Corpse, Vader, Vital Remains, Morbid Angel, Krisiun, Malevolent Creation, Dying Fetus, Misery Index, Satyricon..........

"Anything less would be uncivilized"
BradtheImpaler
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby tommy t » Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:30 pm

I have found that in my 10+ years of fantasy football that the larger leagues are better because it rewards the active owners more often than not. as you are finding out with a smaller league it's hard not to draft a good team just use 1 of the 10 million cheat sheets and your draft won't be that bad. but with the larger leagues it's not as sure and if you pick a few dud's you dont have 2 stud's on your roster to replace him hence you have to work the wire and trade's making it more challenging and in my opinion more fun.

Florida Fantasy Football League

S.McNair QB Tenn
J. Garcia QB SF
D. McAlister RB NO
C.Garner RB OAK
D.Davis RB HOU
M. Bennett RB MINN
T.Heap TE BAL
E.Moulds WR BUFF
A.Boldin WR AIRZ
P.Burress WR PITT
J.Porter WR OAK
S.Moss WR NYJ
J.Wilkens K STL
Pitt D
Minn D
The time is gone the song is over thought I'd something more to say.
tommy t
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby veritasdefender » Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:41 pm

try a 24 team league...
veritasdefender
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby BradtheImpaler » Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:58 pm

veritasdefender wrote:try a 24 team league...

NO 8-o
Angel Corpse, Vader, Vital Remains, Morbid Angel, Krisiun, Malevolent Creation, Dying Fetus, Misery Index, Satyricon..........

BradtheImpaler
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Budman_ffc » Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:20 pm

I play in a 12 team standard Yahoo league/15 players per team and we start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2WR, 1 TE, 1 K & 1 D each week.

Even though we are a bigger league owners-wise, we start less players (24 RBs and WRs instead of your proposed 30 players) at each position each week). There is barely enough RBs to go around that are worth playing as it is. I can hardly imagine having guys like Levens, Holcombe, Buckhalter, etc playing every week, especially going through the bye weeks. It'd be challenging and it might be fun.....I just never played with that many players before.

I guess I'd prefer a 10 man league that started the usual 8 guys and maybe another 7 or eight on the bench. I don't think I'd like using individual defensive players, but then I've never tried it.
That's my two cents and it's worth every penny of it!

Semper Fi!
Budman_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby BradtheImpaler » Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:35 pm

budman, yer post is kinda confusing, what the hell are you talking about....with the 24 rb's/wr, and the proposed 30 players?????

HUH???????????????

BradtheImpaler
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Mudd » Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:53 pm

Don't worry budman, I get what you're talking about.

If you are going to a 10 team league, there is absolutely no way for every team to have 3 decent rb's, not too mention what to do on bye weeks. I'd suggest going to 10 teams and using 2 rb's.
Mudd
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby BradtheImpaler » Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:21 pm

ok, i get what he is saying now....yeah 3 rb's per team, and 10 teams =30 rb's.....we need a site where they have flex positions.

BradtheImpaler
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Original_Geek » Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:13 pm

I moved from one 8 team league last year to being in 2 10 team leagues this year and I am, without question or hesitation or qualification, having a ton more fun this year than last. The draft was more fun, the weekly matchups are more interesting and challenging, the trading is more crucial and the smack-talking has escalated to a harsh "Your Mama!" fun-fest of "ooooohhh, sorry your QB broke his leg.......SUCKER!" and other things that are best left deleted in polite company.

Furthermore, one of my leagues has the big team similar to what you are proposing for your league (we start 1QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1RB/WR slot, 1TE, 1K, and 4 individual defensive players consisiting of 1 DL, 1DB and 2 Danythings) and the other has the smaller, standard Yahoo team (QB, RB, 3WR and a slot plus K and D) and I say your theory of points still on the bench holds true. I know I routinely have 10 to 20 points left on my benches (And not _all_ of those are because I stink at this game. ;) ) So yeah, you should still have plenty of points to go around. Now you will just have to plan more carefully for surprise injuries and surprise good things (Like D Davis the last 2 weeks - he and Steve Smith have been unexpected huge pickups for me - long may they continue to surprise!)

So, if we are still reading - yeah - go to 10 if ya can. And Morbid Angel is one of the world's greatest death metal bands ever. Period. They are the Priest Holmeses of Death Metal.

heyyyyyyyyyyyy, maybe I'll start a Fantasy Rock Tour league next year.....Nahhhhhhhhh, someone will try to claim Metallica still rocks and I'll just get angry and it'll stop being fun...
OG - Original Geek
Word to your motherboard
Dallas Cowboys Fan Extraordinaire
May all your players get to play Oakland.
Original_Geek Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby zombiez » Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:03 pm

I am in a very competitive 12 team league......alot of team owners in this league have been playing since the last 80's.......we actually expanded to 12 this year and so far so good....parody evens everything out.....the guy who is usually stacked with good rbs, is lacking somewhere else and vice versa.....definately go for it, alot more competitive and fun
zombiez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk