League size debate/need thoughts, and ideas. Input please! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

League size debate/need thoughts, and ideas. Input please!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Stay 8 teams or go to 10 teams?

8 team league
3%
10 team league
97%

Total votes : 36

Postby emaja » Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:33 pm

I agree that there needs to be a balance. Too small a league and a cheat sheet will steer you to a good team. Too large, and you are at the mercy of injuries and dumb luck. My 12 team league has some people on WW that could help during byes and injuries, where my 16 team league is insane. There are not enough RB's to go around to fill starting rosters, much less to cover if the worst happens.
emaja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football
Location: Wearing the PB with pride looking for my Bears crack pipe...

Postby altproject » Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:05 pm

I tend to like the bigger leagues. The league I'm in is 20 teams -- bordering on out of hand. But it's a surprisingly competitive league. Also, we start 2RB/2WR -- if we had a flex in there, it would be impossible. But what makes the league very fun is that guys like rudi johnson and buckhalter are very important to a team and it helps open the league up for some interesting trades. Players like that almost never get traded in smaller leagues because better players can just be picked up off the WW. In a bigger league, these "pawns" turn strategy into more of a chess game.

However, I think 16, 14, and 12 are good sizes -- again though, it depends on how many players each team must start. If the league has only 12 teams, I'd prefer that at least one flex position is in there.
20 Team League | 11-3 | 5th Place
--------------------------------------------
Q: Kitna, Flutie
R: Henry, Portis, T. Jones, Rudi, Griffin, Burns
W: Chambers, Ward
T: Shockey
K: Elling
D: Bills
altproject
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Paladyr » Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:54 pm

3 rbs for a 10 man league is too many. You would need to bump it down to two.
Go Bengals!
'06 FF Champion!
Paladyr
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:42 pm

I am commish of 16-team full-keeper league...everything that ha sbeen said before is true....but what they failed to mention that it maes it real

no NFL team has three stud Rb's in case of Injury.....like if TEN lost McNair they would be done or if KC lost Priest......most of the time the same is said for a league like mine....teh draft ws crucial....and the late rounds were completely based on hours of research on deep sleepers and rooks

Here is some insight to the state of my legaue
We are in week 10...we have 4 teams per each one of four divisions...identical to the AFC or NFC

We have one team @ 8-1, one team @ 7-2 (me), two teams @ 6-3...one @ 5-4 and the rest under .500...a slew of 4-5 teams

SO parody is rampant and thats what makes it fun....Now I am having more fun @ 7-2 and sittin pretty for the postseason, but man when you can be 4-5 and in playoff contention...how cool is that!

I am also in an 18 teamer and one 20 teamer....guys like Todd Pinkston are @2 WR!
Arrowhead Nation
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

hmmmm...

Postby matmat » Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:43 pm

I like larger leagues... As many above have pointed out, the larger the league the more activity is required from managers to do well....

I've been in a 14 team league the last couple of years. I find that it is a lot more challanging than the 10 team leagues that I have played in, although it seems to me that things can be easily evened out by having more starters in smaller leagues (i.e. if you have to, say, start 4 running backs and 4 WR per team in an 8 team league that makes managers more active)... anyway... unless you have a division setup I find a 14 team league nice because you get to play every team once and then you can have either 2 weeks of playoffs ignoring weeks 16 and 17 or 3 weeks of playoffs dropping the annoying week 17.

It seems to me that in an 8 team league everyone gets to start studs at pretty much all positions and the league turns into the luckiest draft contest as opposed to knowledgable and smart pick-ups and trades.

hope this helps.
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby BradtheImpaler » Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:15 pm

Thy Monthly BUMP!
Angel Corpse, Vader, Vital Remains, Morbid Angel, Krisiun, Malevolent Creation, Dying Fetus, Misery Index, Satyricon..........

"Anything less would be uncivilized"
BradtheImpaler
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Redskins Win » Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:23 pm

BradtheImpaler wrote:the daily BUMP

Jiminey christmas man, 31 to 1 what kind of results are you looking for. Go for the 10 man league, personally I like the 12 team league, because it adds a bit more skill and strategy to the game. No matter what the number if donkey owners start bailing on their teams then it's just no fun for anybody except first place.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby zombiez » Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:29 am

Redskins Win wrote:
BradtheImpaler wrote:the daily BUMP

Jiminey christmas man, 31 to 1 what kind of results are you looking for. Go for the 10 man league, personally I like the 12 team league, because it adds a bit more skill and strategy to the game. No matter what the number if donkey owners start bailing on their teams then it's just no fun for anybody except first place.
...........yeah, this isn't close like Florida man, I'd say 10 or more seems to be the consenses
zombiez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby tjhksig » Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:20 am

I'm running a 10 man league w/ this setup:

1 QB
3 WR
2 RB
1 TE
1 K
1 D
1 RB/WR

I think it's the perfect ratio; you don't HAVE to have a good #3 RB, you can get by w/ a good WR.
tjhksig
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Football Talk