Did Edge score in the 2nd qtr against the Rams? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Did Edge score in the 2nd qtr against the Rams?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Did Edge score in the 2nd qtr against the Rams?

Postby silver_89 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:09 am

Did anybody watch this game and see the final ruling on this play? I'm confused about the 2nd qtr TD. NFL Gameday on the NFL network stated that after the challenge by the Rams, it was determined that edge did not fumble the ball into the end zone, and in fact Edge had broken the plane for a TD. Also according the NFL.com website (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap?gam ... &week=REG5), it states:

"Warner and Edgerrin James scored controversial touchdowns on short runs, helping the Cardinals (3-2) win for the third straight season in their former home base."

and

"James scored on a 5-yard run, lunging with the ball in one hand and fumbling into the end zone after apparently getting stopped short. Officials first ruled Cardinals lineman Reggie Wells recovered a fumble in the end zone, wresting it from St. Louis cornerback Jonathan Wade. Rams coach Scott Linehan challenged the play, which was later reversed to a James touchdown."

But NFL.com's Game Center does not credit the TD to Edge but give it to the Reggie Wells who had recovered the initially ruled fumble. If anybody wacthed this game, it would be appreciated if you could provide some clarification and confirm if this was the final ruling. Thanks.
silver_89
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Did Edge score in the 2nd qtr against the Rams?

Postby Metroid » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:08 am

I didn't see the game but the way I understand it James fumbled the ball into the endzone where it was recovered by Wells for the TD. I doubt anything will change, Wells is credited for the TD.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby thedust2010 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:17 am

And for some reason RTSports has credited Arizona's D/ST with the touchdown. Such BS. That's neither defense nor special teams at work.
thedust2010
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby treat24 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:25 am

thedust2010 wrote:And for some reason RTSports has credited Arizona's D/ST with the touchdown. Such BS. That's neither defense nor special teams at work.

depends on your league settings. if you use a free site, yeah usually they aren't capable of seperating them. If you use a pay site you can select that. MFL seperates D, ST, and O for things like fumble rec tds etc...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Biguns » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:48 pm

I was watching the game, and as a James owner was upset with how the refs could blow it even after review. The replay showed that he was down before he fumbled and was short of the goaline, which woulda set up a nice easy plunge for the score. Instead they call it a fumble which the replay shows was recovered by the rams and then the arizona guy ripped it away from him. So if it was a fumble it shoulda been Rams ball cause the arizona guy touched him while he was down with the ball. Really coulda used the 6 points but i guess i should be glad he wasn't charged with a fumble.
IF YOU AIN'T FIRST YOUR LAST
- RICKY BOBBY
Biguns
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Patchell » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:18 pm

Biguns wrote:I was watching the game, and as a James owner was upset with how the refs could blow it even after review. The replay showed that he was down before he fumbled and was short of the goaline, which woulda set up a nice easy plunge for the score. Instead they call it a fumble which the replay shows was recovered by the rams and then the arizona guy ripped it away from him. So if it was a fumble it shoulda been Rams ball cause the arizona guy touched him while he was down with the ball. Really coulda used the 6 points but i guess i should be glad he wasn't charged with a fumble.

I was watching the game too and feel the exact same way. Unfortunately the announcers never made it clear what exactly what happened... nor did the referees. Both the Edge run/fumble TD or fumble recovery should have been overturned... which makes it impossible to tell which call they made. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the scoring eventually.
Patchell
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby thedust2010 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:30 pm

RT now reversed the call, maybe because of my bitching. ;-D
thedust2010
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Patchell » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:53 pm

Very nice. They still haven't given the TD to Edge in my RT sports league, but they did take away the special teams TD for Arizona! ;-D ;-D
Patchell
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby RunnaThaMills » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:02 pm

Yeah- that was quite confusing for me to see the TD points go up and then see them scratched...

I only caught highlights but, it looked like Edge had a TD...
RunnaThaMills
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby thedust2010 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:12 pm

They didn't give the TD to Edge and that's not what I was disputing. I was only disputing that it shouldn't belong to AZ's D/ST unit.
thedust2010
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting