Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Sanders: Overrated? article

Postby moochman » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:32 am

dream_017 wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:haha - sorry about that. How did you end up with that sig/av combo anyway?

It's part of the being a new mod hazing :-P For the record this was one of the better combos that they came up with 8-o

I always thought the mods were kind of...ah...ambiguous!

Not to sidetrack this thread, CBM, but regarding Deion Sanders. Understand that I would also take a lot of other RBs before I would take Deion. If all players were in their prime I could simply keep handing the ball to Barry or Brown, Payton, Dickerson, etc run toward Deion and watch as they zip pass him while Shawn McDonald blocks him.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:09 am

Be funny watching Deion trying to tackle Dickerson/Payton wouldnt it lol. Even funnier would be watching Deion trying to get a hand on Barry. You guys need to go youtube Barry or something. Maybe you need a refresher course, it has been a little while. You know kinda how some people think Kobe is the best cause Jordans been gone for awhile. Well hes not.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:54 pm

I was gonna drop it, but you guys are putting WAY too much into a CBs tackling ability. The fact is that CB rarely play a significant role against the run in any scheme. Those CBs who have high tackle totals are usually the same ones who have been picked on because their coverage assignment was open and caught the ball thus requiring a tackle.

Are you guys still missing the point about drafting RBs early in an all-time draft? There are many great - not just good - RBs in the history of the NFL. There are very few great CBs. Simply based on depth alone, I would much rather land an elite CB early in a fantasy draft than my RB since I know I can get a RB thats arguably as good as any other RB previously drafted whenever I choose to.

Strategy wise, if Im drafting an all-time team, my first 8-10 picks are all going to be either defense or OLinemen. I wouldnt even look at the offensive skill positons for the first half of the draft. While the competition is drafting the Barry Sanders, Joe Montana, and Jerry Rice types, Im going after guys like Deion, LT, Reggie White, and Anthony Munoz.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:36 pm

I understand where you are going with this but the guys that put points on the board are more important IMO. And you could put up the same arguement for the defensive players. You get L.T i get Ray Lewis, Butkus. There are greats at every spot.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:00 pm

Still no response to my nomination of Mel Blount? He was complete player who contributed on the running game - the rest of the argument I already posted.

Sure it's easy to grab an RB later - there's lots of good ones because their stats are readily quantifiable. But just because it's sometimes hard to quantify the contribution at other positions doesn't mean there's a lack of depth a those posistions - just means ya gotta know your history.

If I can't get Deion or Blount, theres always Mike Haynes acquitted himself pretty well a CB, especially once he moved to the Raiders - went to 9 Pro Bowls, 4 times All-Pro, 8 times All AFC. If ya wanna go way back, they don't come much better than Night Train Lane, a brutal tackler with blazing speed and a leader in interceptions - 7 Pro Bowls, 6 times All NFL, and in 1969 named to the all time NFL team at CB.

Sure I'd love to have Munoz, but I could make do with Jackie Slater, John Hannah, Gene Hickerson (ask Jim Brown how important he was), Dan Dierdorf, Jim Parker, Art Shell, etc.

And who wouldn't want Reggie White, but I could live with Joe greene, Deacon Jones, Bob Lilly,Alan Page, Howie Long, etc.

There's no lack of depth at the "non-skill" positions, just a lack of adequately measuring, quantifying and ranking those players. That's where I think your argument lacks merit CM - there's lots of value at every position if ya know where to look.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:33 pm

I understand your point, but not necessarily because of the guys you mentioned - nor to the degree either, stomp. The vast majority of those guys you listed are usually ranked in the top 5 for their position. Blount, Night Train, and Deion are usually all considered the truly elite CBs in the NFL - kinda like talking about Payton, Brown, and Sanders. Id rather have Deion because of his coverage abilities, but you may like the others because of their tackling and sheer brutality. That argument doesnt really matter - its the who's after them thats the argument. Thats when you start talking about Mike Haynes, Darrell Green, or Willie Brown and I see that as a large step down as opposed to when you talk from the Payton, Sanders, Brown to Sayers, Dickerson, Simpson crowd.

OLine is one I can agree with though. Munoz is considered the best ever, but there is a large group after him.

DLine is top heavy as well - again, the guys you mentioned are all considered to be in that top 10 tier - if not top 5 at their position (DT or DE).

I still think you fill up with as many of these kind of players as you can early and let Emmitt Smith and Roger Staubach "fall" to you after about 10 rds.

Every yr we try and guage position scarcity to help us rank players in fantasy. This is the same concept except we are talking about all-time and position scarcity is more stagnant. CB is one of those positions that does make a large impact on a game, but historically speaking there have only been a small handful of game changing CBs, so thats why I weigh them more than an elite RB in which there seems to be plenty of.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:15 pm

Im just happy nobody has said Champ Bailey...
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Detroit Lions