Another school shooting, outside of Cleveland - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Another school shooting, outside of Cleveland

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Another school shooting, outside of Cleveland

Postby Madison » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:32 pm

moonhead wrote:do guns do anything but kill people?

Nope ;-7 . They just sprout legs, load themselves, and go nuts killing people! Let's hope knives, cars, baseball bats, chain saws, pool cues, and other similar things don't pick up on what those guns are doing... ;-7

:-b

Come on Moon, say it with me...."Self responsibility". I know we're in a "blame anything and everything except yourself" world, but stuff like this is only going to continue and get worse until people learn "self responsibility" again. Might not be for 3 or 4 more generations, but it will eventually be taught again at some point, and the world will be much better off for it.

This kid got a gun and shot people. It's tragic, but the gun didn't do it, the gun didn't choose to do it, and the gun didn't force the kid to do it. The kid is responsible for his actions, and he will face the consequences of those actions. Shame no one taught this kid any better.

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moonhead » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:42 pm

Madison wrote:

Nope ;-7 . They just sprout legs, load themselves, and go nuts killing people! Let's hope knives, cars, baseball bats, chain saws, pool cues, and other similar things don't pick up on what those guns are doing... ;-7

Come on Moon, say it with me...."Self responsibility". I know we're in a "blame anything and everything except yourself" world, but stuff like this is only going to continue and get worse until people learn "self responsibility" again. Might not be for 3 or 4 more generations, but it will eventually be taught again at some point, and the world will be much better off for it.

This kid got a gun and shot people. It's tragic, but the gun didn't do it, the gun didn't choose to do it, and the gun didn't force the kid to do it. The kid is responsible for his actions, and he will face the consequences of those actions. Shame no one taught this kid any better.

well, i just fail to see the point. all they are used for are hurtful, violent actions. i don't need a gun. this is a stupid argument. i am not even going to get into it. you won't convince me how necessary they are and i won't convince you how unnecessary they are. the fact of the matter is people have been harmed by an idiot with a gun, again. it's sad. and beyond extreme measures, completely unpreventable in the future.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:03 pm

moonhead wrote:and beyond extreme measures, completely unpreventable in the future.

The only way that something like this can be prevented is to physically screen every student and teacher coming in and out of a school building and I think we all know that isn't going to happen. Banning guns won't happen. We all know that marijuana is illegal, but last I heard, it wasn't too hard to get a hold of that and use it. Or get it into schools either.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:20 pm

moonhead wrote:
Madison wrote:

well, i just fail to see the point. all they are used for are hurtful, violent actions. i don't need a gun. this is a stupid argument. i am not even going to get into it. you won't convince me how necessary they are and i won't convince you how unnecessary they are. the fact of the matter is people have been harmed by an idiot with a gun, again. it's sad. and beyond extreme measures, completely unpreventable in the future.

My point had nothing to do with guns really, it has to do with blame. Fact is that this happened and it stinks. Obvious reaction is to assign blame. Ok, cool. But let's at least assign the blame where it goes and where it actually makes sense. Blame the kid, as he made the choice to do that. Heck, blame the parents for not teaching him any better. Could even blame the teachers for not teaching that, or even really stretch it and blame it on some sort of mental medical condition. To blame it on an inanimate object makes no sense. Do we blame pot for the potheads? No. Do we blame alcohol for the drunks? No. Do we blame razorblades for people slitting their wrists? No. The list goes on forever. Let's not lay the blame somewhere where it doesn't make any sense. Take guns off the face of the Earth and the boy still does something stupid like this and injure or kill people in the process. Be it a knife, bomb, or whatever. Heck, they pulled a grenade launcher (!) out of a kid's car way back when I was in high school, so bad things like this are going to happen, regardless. The boy chose to do this, not the gun, so the blame is squarely on his shoulders. Makes no sense to blame anything else.

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moonhead » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:38 pm

with no guns he would have gone to school and punched the kid that ratted on him or whatever. like people have been doing since the dawn of time. my original point was as much about the crappy news that we are bombarded with everyday as much as it was about guns serving no other purpose than killing. i understand the point of your post was to say the kid was to blame. i'm not saying that he is absolved of blame and we need to put the gun on trial. i am just tired of every story i read being about some lunatic with guns murdering some innocent people.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dream_017 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:40 pm

Madison wrote:...and he will face the consequences of those actions...

Sad thing is that they don't always face the appropriate consequences for their actions.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Tiki » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:46 pm

Damn man....Why so many these days...Disgusting... :-t
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SniperShot » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:48 pm

Stories where guns possibly save lives never seem to make headlines.

Last month or so a police sniper shot a guy who was holding a woman hostage with a knife. They shot his leg while a swat team simultaneously subdued him in efforts to keep him from hurting the woman. Amazing things like that go unspoken half the time. How do you ensure the womans safety without a gun in that situation? He would have probably slit the womans throat while the swat team moved in on him, instead he was maimed and the woman got off safely. Guns serve very important purposes other than killing, yet the stories that make headlines are all the bad things done by irresponsible idiots.

Heck I promised I wouldn't get into this, with a name like mine you better believe I'm a pro gun guy, guns in the hands of the right people can- and DO save lives.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby moonhead » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:58 pm

SniperShot wrote:Stories where guns possibly save lives never seem to make headlines.

Last month or so a police sniper shot a guy who was holding a woman hostage with a knife. They shot his leg while a swat team simultaneously subdued him in efforts to keep him from hurting the woman. Amazing things like that go unspoken half the time. How do you ensure the womans safety without a gun in that situation? He would have probably slit the womans throat while the swat team moved in on him, instead he was maimed and the woman got off safely. Guns serve very important purposes other than killing, yet the stories that make headlines are all the bad things done by irresponsible idiots.

Heck I promised I wouldn't get into this, with a name like mine you better believe I'm a pro gun guy, guns in the hands of the right people can- and DO save lives.

a well placed throwing knife or chinese star or blow dart would have had the same effect. ;-D

it may sound far fetched. and i didn't really want to debate this. but i would prefer to live in a world where there were no guns.
if you want to harm someone, use a knife. get up in their face and inflict some harm. see it in their face. bada bing get blood all over your ivy league suit. ;-)
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:24 pm

moonhead wrote:if you want to harm someone, use a knife. get up in their face and inflict some harm. see it in their face. bada bing get blood all over your ivy league suit. ;-)

I nominate that for quote of the week right there. :-b ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk