Another school shooting, outside of Cleveland - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Another school shooting, outside of Cleveland

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Another school shooting, outside of Cleveland

Postby WickedSmaat » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:36 am

SniperShot wrote:Reading the article on CNN the gunshot wounds are all extremely odd. Somebody was shot in the elbow, another in the knee, weird places to get shot!

I blame Grand Theft Auto, it's auto-aim feature deterred his real life skills ;-7
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby J2thez929 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:56 am

Sad to save this sorta stuff happen anywhere, yet alone the city i live in :,-(
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:21 pm

A student attempted to warn the principal about the gunman:

Student Gunman in Ohio Warned of Attack
Thursday, October 11, 2007 1:00:04 PM
By JOE MILICIA

A high school student said Thursday that he and classmates had warned their principal about threats by a classmate who shot and wounded four people before killing himself, and believed the attack could have been prevented.

The student, Rasheem Smith, said on CBS' "Early Show" that despite their warnings about the student who opened fire Wednesday, Asa H. Coon, principal Johneita Durant told them she was too busy.

"I told my friends in the class that he had a gun and stuff," said Smith, 15. "He was talking about doing it last week. I don't know why they didn't say nothing.

"We talked to the principal. She would try to get us all in the office, but it would always be too busy for it to happen," Smith said.

Responding on the show, schools CEO Eugene Sanders said the district would investigate. "We're going to review the entire situation over the course of today and tomorrow, make a determination of what has indeed occurred, and then see what the appropriate recommendations are, so we can move forward on Monday morning," he said.

A message left at Durant's office was not returned. A phone call to her home was not answered.

Wearing a Marilyn Manson shirt, black jeans and black nail polish, Coon opened fire with two revolves at the alternative school, wounding two students and two teachers. He had a history of mental problems and was known for cursing at teachers and bickering with students.

People at Coon's home late Wednesday declined to comment.

All classes in the city school district were canceled Thursday, and counseling was to be available for students.

Coon, who was suspended Monday for fighting with a classmate and was under suspension at the time of the shootings, had warned classmates of an attack, but none took him seriously.

"When he got suspended, he was like `I got something for you all,'" said student Frances Henderson, who said she often got into arguments with Coon. "I guess this is what he had."

Coon, who was white, stood out in the predominantly black school for dressing in a goth style, wearing a black trench coat, black boots, a dog collar and chains, she said.

Henderson, who is black, she said she didn't believe race played a role in the shootings.

"He's crazy. He threatened to blow up our school. He threatened to stab everybody," said Doneisha LeVert, 14. "We didn't think nothing of it."

On Thursday, a spokeswoman said Sanders will give the Mayor Frank Jackson a plan by Friday at noon to address whether additional security measures are needed at the school and how the school identifies potential problems among students.

Police Chief Michael McGrath said Thursday that the preliminary investigation found that Coon entered the school and went to a fourth-floor bathroom, where he changed clothes and took items out of a duffel bag, possibly the weapons, and put them on his body. There was an armed security guard at the school's entrance, McGrath said, though it was not known how Coon got inside.

McGrath said Coon went to a specific classroom and shot the teacher and then, while looking for a second teacher, he fired some other shots, wounding a teacher who was trying to help students go to another floor, he said.

After the shootings, police found the guns: a .22- and a .38-caliber revolver, McGrath said. He also had a box of ammunition for each and three tactical folding knives.

McGrath said the guns are older, meaning it will take some time to trace them. He said officials would be talking to Coon's older brother and mother about the weapons.

Coon's troubles seemed to come to a breaking point this week. Students said Monday's fight was over God -- Coon told his classmates he didn't believe in God and instead worshipped rocker Marilyn Manson.

McGrath said that since 2006, police had gone to Coon's home five times: for calls about domestic violence, an assault call, a property crime and a hit-and-run accident.

Coon had spent time in two juvenile facilities and threatened to commit suicide while in a mental health facility, according to juvenile court records obtained by The Plain Dealer newspaper.

The Department of Children and Family Services was called to Coon's home in 2000 because he had burns on his arms and scratches on his forehead, the newspaper said.

When he was 12, Coon was charged in juvenile court with domestic violence. His mother, Lori, had called police and told them her son slapped her and called her a vulgar name. She had been trying to intervene in a fight between Coon and his twin sister, The Plain Dealer reported.

He was also suspended from school last year for attempting to hurt a student, the newspaper said. "He used to cuss all the teachers out," said Henderson, 14.

The first person shot, 14-year-old Michael Peek, had punched Coon in the face right before the shootings began, Smith said.

Coon "came out of the bathroom and bumped Mike and he (Mike) punched him in his face. Mike started walking. He shot Mike in the side," said Smith.

Darnell Rodgers, 18, said he realized he had been shot when he felt his arm burning.

Rodgers was treated for a graze wound to his right elbow. He told NBC's "Today" on Thursday he didn't believe he was targeted.

"He just fired the gun," Rodgers said. "He didn't say anything."

Michael Grassie, a 42-year-old history teacher, underwent surgery Wednesday and remained in the hospital Thursday, and an official said his prognosis was very good.

Math teacher David Kachadourian, who was treated for a minor wound to the back of one shoulder, knew of no reason why Coon would target him.

"I never felt personally threatened or personally at risk," said Kachadourian, who had Coon is his beginning algebra class. "I had concerns about him, yes. He seemed like an angry young man. I did not fear for my own safety."

SuccessTech Academy, with about 240 students, is an alternative high school in the public school district that stresses technology and entrepreneurship.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby PMoneyTKE » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:15 pm

moonhead wrote:with no guns he would have gone to school and punched the kid that ratted on him or whatever. like people have been doing since the dawn of time. my original point was as much about the crappy news that we are bombarded with everyday as much as it was about guns serving no other purpose than killing. i understand the point of your post was to say the kid was to blame. i'm not saying that he is absolved of blame and we need to put the gun on trial. i am just tired of every story i read being about some lunatic with guns murdering some innocent people.

No, without guns he would have gone to school and gutted the kid with a knife, or bludgeoned him with a bat, no less tragic. As long as there are psychos like this in the world there will always be tragic events like this, guns or no guns.
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:26 pm

PMoneyTKE wrote:
moonhead wrote:with no guns he would have gone to school and punched the kid that ratted on him or whatever. like people have been doing since the dawn of time. my original point was as much about the crappy news that we are bombarded with everyday as much as it was about guns serving no other purpose than killing. i understand the point of your post was to say the kid was to blame. i'm not saying that he is absolved of blame and we need to put the gun on trial. i am just tired of every story i read being about some lunatic with guns murdering some innocent people.

No, without guns he would have gone to school and gutted the kid with a knife, or bludgeoned him with a bat, no less tragic. As long as there are psychos like this in the world there will always be tragic events like this, guns or no guns.

i whole heartedly disagree. it takes a different kind of cat to walk up and look someone in the eye and jam a piece of metal into them. this kid had no balls. it takes balls to stab, a shooting is less visceral. the experience for the attacker is totally different. anyone can pull a trigger. it takes a seriously derranged individual to shank someone.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Previous

Return to General Talk