As if Crazy Students Weren't Bad Enough.... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

As if Crazy Students Weren't Bad Enough....

Moderator: Football Moderators

As if Crazy Students Weren't Bad Enough....

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:41 am

Now the Parents are helping them

NORRISTOWN, Pa. - The mother of a 14-year-old who authorities say had a cache of guns, knives and explosive devices in his bedroom for a possible school attack was charged Friday with buying her son three weapons.

Michele Cossey bought her home-schooled son a .22-caliber handgun, a .22-caliber rifle and a 9 mm semiautomatic rifle, authorities said. The teenager felt bullied and tried to recruit another boy for the possible attack at Plymouth Whitemarsh High School, authorities said.

Acting on a tip from a high school student and his father, police on Wednesday found the rifle, about 30 air-powered guns, swords, knives, a bomb-making book, videos of the 1999 Columbine attack in Colorado and violence-filled notebooks in the boy's bedroom, Montgomery County District Attorney Bruce L. Castor Jr. said.

Cossey, 46, of Plymouth Meeting, bought the rifle, which had a laser scope, at a gun show on Sept. 23 and provided police with a receipt, investigators said in court papers. The teenager said the two .22-caliber weapons were stored at a friend's house.

The teen was ordered Friday to remain in juvenile detention.

His mother was charged with unlawful transfer of a firearm, possession of a firearm by a minor, corruption of a minor, endangering the welfare of a child and two counts of reckless endangerment.

Castor has said he does not believe and attack was imminent or would occur at all. He said Friday that the teen had a "disturbed mind."

"This was a smart kid that clearly believes he was picked on and was a victim," Castor said. "He had psychological issues and began to act out on those feelings."

Police, who searched home with the permission of the teen's parents, also discovered seven explosive devices Castor has described as homemade grenades: plastic containers filled with pellets to which gunpowder could be added. Authorities said one grenade was operable and the others had been in the process of being assembled.

The search did not turn up any ammunition for the most dangerous firearm in the bunch, the assault rifle.

The teen previously attended middle school in the district but had been taught at home for more than a year after voluntarily leaving school, Castor said.

The arrest came the same day a 14-year-old in Ohio opened fire at his Cleveland high school, wounding four before killing himself.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: As if Crazy Students Weren't Bad Enough....

Postby Madison » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:38 am

His mother was charged with unlawful transfer of a firearm, possession of a firearm by a minor, corruption of a minor, endangering the welfare of a child and two counts of reckless endangerment.

Hopefully that means she will be put away for a very long time and never allowed to have any children in her home ever again. :-t

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:47 am

Madison wrote:

Hopefully that means she will be put away for a very long time and never allowed to have any children in her home ever again. :-t

One can only hope. She is definelty a candidate for life in prison in my mind.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:13 am

Why are so many home-schooled kids and their parents just wacko?
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:56 am

josebach wrote:Why are so many home-schooled kids and their parents just wacko?

That's a bit of a stereotype, but I believe it's because it takes a special kind of parent to be able to home-school. Not everyone is cut out for it, but too many parents think they can.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Madison » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:02 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:

That's a bit of a stereotype,

Exactly.

This kid was wacko before. Left school because he felt picked on according to the article, so all of this was going to be in retaliation to that. Didn't have anything to do with homeschooling.

Now what caused the mother to be a sicko is anyone's guess. :-b

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:10 pm

I personally think anyone who sterotypes is dumb ;-) :-b
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:57 pm

This is incredibly sad. I mean, I have seen parents buy their kids .22's (in fact my younger brother has one) but you know your kid, you teach them about guns and you don't buy them guns if they are obviously disturbed and have books about columbine and bomb-making lying around the house. :-t :-t

One of the things that scares me about this article though is this:

Castor has said he does not believe and attack was imminent or would occur at all. He said Friday that the teen had a "disturbed mind."

I mean, at least they acted on the tip, but I seem to recall a story about oh a day or so ago about a shooting where a tip was ignored and it didn't turn out so well. :-/ :-t
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 5 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:01 pm

hah...why do I always think of South Park (or spelling bees) when I hear about "home-schooled kids"
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby knapplc » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:06 pm

It may be a stereotype but it's a stereotype for a reason. Sure you can't make a blanket statement, but in my anecdotal experience, every single one of the 11 people whom I know were home-schooled that I know are odd, and that's being kind.

There's a lot to be said about teaching your children at home, but let's face it, even if you're one of the most well-rounded geniuses in the world AND you happen to have a gift for teaching, combining to grant your children the main things they need to succeed intellectually in the world, you will invariably deny them the social development they also need by keeping them out of the social situations of school. To me it's just not worth it.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk