So, Adrian Peterson is going to be like the 2nd player taken - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

So, Adrian Peterson is going to be like the 2nd player taken

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: So, Adrian Peterson is going to be like the 2nd player taken

Postby oscar15 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:42 am

I nabbed AP in all three leagues I play in (2 Auctions and a trade ).

Since we are already referring to him by his initials, he has already achieved STUD STATUS.

We need to figure out what initials he will go by. In this thread alone I have seen AP, AD, ADP.

What's it going to be people?
oscar15
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Response Team
(Past Year: 35)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby activechamp2006 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:27 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
jcde7ago wrote:
macdona1 wrote:Based on how he plays the rest of the year do you think that there is a possibility of there actually being a debate as to whether you should take him over LT next year???????? (assuming Chester is gone)

I think you pretty much answered your own question there - if he puts up comparable numbers to LT at the end of the season, then yes, there's a good argument for him being taken over LT...and that prime reason would probably be age. LT turns what...29 next year? And typically around 30 years old is traditionally the age when backs start to lose some of their speed and overall evasiveness and begin to wear down significantly over the following years.

Now i am not saying LT doesn't have a few more excellent years left in him after 2007, but i definitely wouldn't argue against owners willing to take ADP over LT if they post similar stats at the end of the season. Also keep in mind that in keeper leagues, if ADP ends up anywhere near LT or has a better year than LT stats-wise, then he's pretty much going to be the consensus #1 pick in keeper leagues.

Unless somebody else puts up better stats between now and the end of the year. Then they might be #1. How about whatever player in the entire NFL ends up with the best stats at the end of the year has a chance to be the #1 overall pick next year? Nice convincing argument.

What a complete waste of a thread :-°

How about we wait until he has had a little more than 5 games before we crown him the king of fantasy? I've never seen a bandwagon gather so much steam over a guy that has just 4 career touchdowns in my life. LT had 4 touchdowns in just one game! ADP hasn't even matched the stretch run that MJD had last year. ADP has scored in two games. Let's get a little bit of a larger sample size before we go nuts.

It sounds to me like someone missed out on Adrian Peterson in there league.
But honestly, to compare Maurice Jones Drew to Adrian Peterson? Seriously?
Jones Drew had 3 100+ yard rushing games all of last season
Peterson has 4 100+ yard rushing games in 5 games this season.
When Maruice Jones Drew puts up 224 rushing yds and 3 rushing tds in ONE GAME, then maybe we can talk.
Please find a better comparison.
activechamp2006
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby dgan » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:37 pm

I think it is safe to say that Tight End will be the only position next year where there is a consensus #1. QB, RB, and WR - legitimate arguments for several players at each of those positions.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby LS2throwed » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:31 pm

His "official" nickname is AD, AD=All Day, some people say AP or ADP on here to shorten it up, but i stick with his official nickname which is AD, id rather call the Bears rb AP...

and as far as next year, as of now he's making a case for the 2nd player...MJD is a horrible comparison, because if Fred Taylor wasnt there Drew probably would of been taken before Maroney, and definately first rd...

we judge drafting players on how they finished last year, how they project to finish the next year, the player around them etc...for instance if they dont bring back Taylor, and plan to use him as a feature back like Addai, I would take him over LT but you cant argue someone who takes LT over him...they might want the sure thing, and LT will still be solid next year, but if you factor in the amount of carries he has had over his career, he's not going to put up astronomical numbers every year like its nothing...Peterson has a high ceiling, and from right now, I dont see anyone who you can take over him outside of Addai
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby AllDay » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:47 am

It's a little early to annoint him top 2 status, but it's probably a little early to annoint anyone besides LT top 2 status.

He is a huge talent, and if he makes it thru the season healthy then he's probably going to go in the top few picks.

Shortly after the 2006 draft many draftniks were setting their sights on the 'Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes' aka the 2007 draft. Then he got hurt, and his stock fell a bit. Lingering injury issues coming into this season likely scared a few fantasy managers away.

Top rookie RB's are often 3rd or 4th round speculative picks - that is where Peterson SHOULD have been drafted had he not had issues regarding his collarbone and splitting carries with C Taylor.

Even splitting carries he has shown freakish talent. If he keeps it up and looks like the unquestioned starter I'd say he deserves consideration as a top 2 pick.....but I'm just a tad biased.
What Would Purple Jesus Do?
AllDay
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby kev0ut » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:07 am

I love how every year there is a thread where people come to **mod edit** their lucky pick of that year's huge breakout player. I believe last year it was Frank Gore. Get over yourselves, people.
kev0ut
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby AllDay » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:31 am

kev0ut wrote:I love how every year there is a thread where people come to **mod edit** their lucky pick of that year's huge breakout player. I believe last year it was Frank Gore. Get over yourselves, people.

What is 'luck' to you is called a 'draft plan' by those of us who do not rely on luck to win leagues.
AllDay
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bklik » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:38 am

AllDay wrote:
kev0ut wrote:I love how every year there is a thread where people come to **mod edit** their lucky pick of that year's huge breakout player. I believe last year it was Frank Gore. Get over yourselves, people.

What is 'luck' to you is called a 'draft plan' by those of us who do not rely on luck to win leagues.

Yeah, luck has absolutely nothing to do with fantasy sports, namely FFB :-°
TEAM A
LEINART, farve
HOUSH, ROY WILLIAMS, DRIVER, hackett, bennett, marshal
RUDI, BUSH, JORDAN, green
HEAP

TEAM B
PEYTON
WAYNE, BOLDIN, MARSHALL, gonzalez, marshall
PARKER, GREEN, chester, betts
WINSLOW
bklik
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby AllDay » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:50 am

bklik wrote:
AllDay wrote:

Yeah, luck has absolutely nothing to do with fantasy sports, namely FFB :-°

I didn't say luck wasn't a factor, but if you identify a player as being worth more than his draft status indicates and can use that to your advantage I wouldn't call that luck.
AllDay
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby activechamp2006 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:28 pm

I belive Fantasy football is mainly luck, with some skill invovled.
The luck comes in on draft day. The skill comes in on WW pick ups, and starting players against the correct matchups.
activechamp2006
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk