Madden...oh lawd. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Madden...oh lawd.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Madden...oh lawd.

Postby jcde7ago » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:55 pm

Was it just me or did anyone else happen to catch Madden's comments on the issue of calling time-outs right before a field goal is kicked? (this is just now during the Seattle/NO game).

Went something along the lines of,

"They're going to have to change that [the ruling]...because the timeout comes from the back of the field goal unit...and i don't like doing things from the back".

Jeeze, you're not playing football anymore, John, so what could you POSSIBLY be referring to? Not that i wanna know... :~(

How does Madden manage to sound so politically incorrect all the time? Yeah, it was just HILARIOUS when he said it. I bet Al Michaels was just going "WTF?!!?" on that one...
10-Team Yahoo! Keeper League: TheYayArea (in 3rd Year now) 11-0!

Starters:

QB: Tom Brady
WR: Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Marvin Harrison
RB: LaDainian Tomlinson, Marshawn Lynch
W/R: Marion Barber III
TE: Chris Cooley
K: Shayne Graham
D: Pittsburgh
jcde7ago
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Madden...oh lawd.

Postby Flyn high again » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:22 pm

Madden is an original. Thank goodness there are still some non PC guys around.

He may be getting old but John knows football.
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby octagon999 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:40 pm

I'm glad he said something. I think its "unsportsmanlike conduct" and I think it does need to be fixed somehow.

I know there are a lot of Madden haters out there, but I still like him from his Raider days.
octagon999
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 8)

Postby jcde7ago » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:46 pm

Lol, i don't want there to be misconceptions out there...

But this post wasn't meant to show hate for Madden. I love the Madden + Michaels combination, always have...they are quite possibly two of the most intelligent broadcasters in all of sports. I just find it funny that Madden almost always says something politically incorrect or things that are easily misconstrued....its humorous. Whether or not he does some of these on purpose or on accident is also something i'd like to know...we know he's got a sense of humor, but some of the things he says sometimes just leaves you saying "WTF?!?...does he know what he just said?!"

And this was one of those times. I guess it's never quite the same unless you personally hear it..but the "from behind" comment he made tonight was quite hilarious :-)

Starters:

jcde7ago
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby PMoneyTKE » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:53 pm

Are you serious? You heard him say "doing things from behind" and you tittered like a school girl? Gimme a break...
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jcde7ago » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:28 pm

Yes, that's exactly it. You must be extremely gifted, because that's EXACTLY what i did, titter like a school girl when i heard that.

You must think you're awesome having something positive to say in a thread. If you knew what i was trying to say...it was a general comment on how Madden just finds ways to, be it purposefully or accidentally say things that make you go "WTF?!?!" sometimes. It could have been ANY OTHER politically incorrect saying or what have you. But yes, you're right. I must be some 12 year-old kid making stupid threads. It's ok, you don't have to get off your pedestal...by all means, stay there.

Starters:

jcde7ago
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mikus » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:33 pm

I do not see how saying "I don't like doing things from the back" is politically incorrect.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby jcde7ago » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:01 pm

Alrighty....it's apparent that no one can actually apply the context of what i am saying to my actual setting.

Say you're sitting around watching the game with your buddies, just chilling. Madden's talking about the field goal unit and how calling timeouts before kicking a field goal should be illegal because the field goal units cannot tell a timeout FROM THE BACK. Then, after a short delay, he proceeds to say, "..you know, because i don't like doing things from the back.."

Ok, again, you're sitting around with your buddies, and you all happen to catch that. Don't tell me at some point you wouldn't go, "WTF?...what exactly did he mean by that?!" I mean lord, it was cause enough for a good chuckle if you were able to catch it as it happened. Perhaps politically incorrect may not be the correct definition, but what he said could be taken out of context especially since it seemed to have absolutely nothing to do with what the aspect of football he was talking about.

Perhaps some people just came back from a rough beat-down by Brady/LT/ADP owners, cause good God..people need to relax. I never implored anyone to respond to this, it was just something i thought was funny. If you have nothing positive to contribute or have never had the experience of hearing Madden say stupid things sometimes, then please...like most people, pass through the thread and just ignore it. No need to be all catty and serious about it.

Starters:

jcde7ago
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Heimholder » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:24 pm

Well I got a laugh out of this anyway. There's a radio morning show by me that used to make a weekly mix tape of out-of-context comments from football broadcasters. Funniest thing ever, and Madden was usually the star.
Heimholder
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby shawngee03 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:42 pm

awesome...i am doing my best madden impression right now saying..."you know...cause i dont like doing things from the back"

any chance of getting a link to teh tape?
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk