Is Devin Hester becoming useable as a WR3 ? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is Devin Hester becoming useable as a WR3 ?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is Devin Hester becoming useable as a WR3 ?

Postby chipper » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:06 pm

If you're in a league that counts Return TD's (and now may be getting some possible passing touches and TD catches)?

I mean, he'll get his hands on the ball at least 5-6 times a game just in returns, and that's more than a lot of receivers end up touching the ball. Plus most of his time with the ball in his hands doesn't come against the defense.....it comes against the special teams units (which can be a lot of backup players at times).

Thoughts?
Most teams don't get the return yards points, but some do get the TD points if they can take it to the house. So with return TD's and maybe some budding offensive touches, can he be an option at WR3?
chipper
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Devin Hester becoming useable as a WR3 ?

Postby PMoneyTKE » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:12 pm

I think he's still to "hit and miss" to be used on a weekly basis without points for return yards. But maybe when the special teams match-up is right.
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby sweeper193 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:25 pm

in my big league you get 1pt for 10 yards rushing/receiving/returning.. he is a great option in that league .. so far in 3 games he scored below 10 pts, but in the other 3 he scored he scored 23.2, 38.2, 39.7.. i'd say as long as you get the same points for returning as you do rushing and receiving hes golden.. but the only thing teams have to do to take him out of the game is not kick to him like the packers did 2 weeks ago, so he probably will continue to be pretty inconcistant unless he gets more looks as a wr
sweeper193
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby eaglesrule » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:31 pm

I play in leagues with return yards, and in those formats, he, ginna jr, and cribbs are like gold (the last two because the defenses are so bad). If return yards count, I mean Hester becomes a top 10 wr option IMO (and based on scoring).

If you are betting on him taking it to the house, then no. One would think teams will just start squibbing it on kickoffs, and punting out of bounds. It makes more sense that way.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Lung » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:02 pm

I'm in several leagues that award 1 point per 25 return yards, and even though Hester was one of the highest rated free agent WRs, I still did not bother picking him up. Most of these leagues start only 2 WRs and I just could not justify starting him over a marquee WR.

However, now that Hester is actually being utilized as a WR and caught an 81-yard TD pass this week, I did pick him up in one league in which we start 3 WRs.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby waterproof » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:56 am

One league I'm in awards special teams play including return yards. It's a deep league, but I started him as my #2 last week... and he scored 2 TDs.

So yes, to me he is very usable as a #3 ;-D
waterproof
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Eagle Eye

Postby dream_017 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:28 am

Only if return yards are factored into your scoring.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:23 am

well, with return yards factored in, he is currently top ten. I know league settings vary, but in 25 yards per point, he is number three. If you figure he gets 5-6 total tds, at this yardage clip, he is eminently playable, as the bears d does not look hot, and he might be the best kick returner ever, but definitely in the last 10 years.

He is a quiet aqcusition (at least was) and you would normally have to trade for that type of scoring.

I still think the subset is small enough that the real targets will overtake him. But I'd rather have the guaranteed scoring of a hester (and to a lesser extent, cribbs or ginn) than some guy just as likely to get you a bagel.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby yankeekd25 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:22 am

The Lung wrote:I'm in several leagues that award 1 point per 25 return yards, and even though Hester was one of the highest rated free agent WRs, I still did not bother picking him up. Most of these leagues start only 2 WRs and I just could not justify starting him over a marquee WR.

However, now that Hester is actually being utilized as a WR and caught an 81-yard TD pass this week, I did pick him up in one league in which we start 3 WRs.

My league is 35 yards/ point but I am going to try him as my WR3 for this week and see how he does. IMO the risk is worth the reward, especially if he will be used more as a true WR in the Bears offense.
yankeekd25
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 2)

Postby quitesanemax » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:30 am

If teams don't kick to him, he doesn't get 5 or 6 carries a game in returns. If you get anymore than 1 pt per 20 yds in your league, he is worth having on your team. If him and Griese start to click, he could be a top WR in the league...
quitesanemax
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 3)

Return to Football Talk