If Adrian Peterson is on Cover of Madden Next Yr, Draft Him? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

If Adrian Peterson is on Cover of Madden Next Yr, Draft Him?

Moderator: Football Moderators

If Adrian Peterson is on Cover of Madden Next Yr, Draft Him?

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:51 pm

I know this sounds ridiculous, but with the season hes having, and the hype behind him, he could easily be asked to be on the cover of Madden next year... and we all know what that means! Injury plagued, fantasy bust season!!!!!! Vince Young went down yesterday, and is currently having an MRI to determine how serious the injury is, and up until now, hes still a fantasy bust. Peterson is a SICK talent, and im a proud owner of him this season in my money league, but going into next season, he may be top 5 (a virtual lock for top 10), and with the unreal consistency of the Madden Curse, does this make him avoidable? I mean i would never pass on him in the right spot, but everyone this season has seen what 1st round backs that get injured do to a fantasy team. I got slammed with the Madden Curse last season by taking Shaun Alexander early last season, and after i laughed at everyone in my draft saying "Madden Curse, hes done!", i was left crying when he went down and shattered my fantasy team, and ever since then, i vowed to avoid Madden Cursed players. This conversation may sound ridiculous, but im serious, i want peoples opinions!
12 Team .5 PPR Money League
1st Place 8-4 (1456.70 Pts)

QB Schaub
WR RWayne
WR Driver
RB DWill
RB RGrant
TE VDavis
W/R Mendenhall
K Tynes
DEF WW
BENCH TJHoush,DMC,Winslow,DAvery,Arizonas D (for Playoffs)
NYMetsIn2k4
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant


Posts: 354
Joined: 10 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: If Adrian Peterson is on Cover of Madden Next Yr, Draft Him?

Postby JasonSeahorn » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:55 pm

i know many people on the cafe don't believe in the madden curse.....but i am a firm believer, i would avoid AP if he was on the cover next year.

the stats don't lie....madden curse is real!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madden_curse
Image

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5309
Joined: 20 Oct 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Beantown, Taxachusetts

Re: If Adrian Peterson is on Cover of Madden Next Yr, Draft Him?

Postby mattUTD20 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:18 pm

With the Madden Curse stacked on top of his injury history, he would be doomed. I'll be surprised if he makes it through this year unscathed much less a Madden Curse year.
"Maurice Jones-Drew, below the waist, is incredible." Mike Mayock

Cafe Leagues

Eat Cheese Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 1
Ball Breakers Keeper (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 3 PvYr: 2
4th and Goal Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 9
mattUTD20
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 1409
Joined: 22 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: If Adrian Peterson is on Cover of Madden Next Yr, Draft Him?

Postby DraftDodger » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:07 am

NYMetsIn2k4 wrote:i vowed to avoid Madden Cursed players. This conversation may sound ridiculous, but im serious, i want peoples opinions!


I've said before that the Madden Curse could be "real" for legit, tangible reasons. One of the biggest is that the additional publicity and promotion takes your mind (and possibly physical training, rest, etc.) away from the real game. Another Cafe member proposed tongue-in-cheek that maybe the Madden player spends too much time playing himself in the video game. The Madden Curse doesn't actually have to be a "curse" or "bad luck" (though it's been proven that if people dwell on bad things happening to them, it usually does). There are many psychological reasons why getting that kind of publicity could damage the player's upcoming season.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 1400
Joined: 24 Aug 2002
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Cafe

Re: If Adrian Peterson is on Cover of Madden Next Yr, Draft Him?

Postby stomperrob » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:03 am

So if Vince is ailing becase of the Madden curse, what curse is on Deuce McAllister. Marc Bulger, Jake Delhomme, Matt Leinart, Steven Jackson, Laurence Maroney, Larry Johnson (oops, cancel - that curse was just rescinded), Carnell Williams, Javon Walker, Andre Johnson, Anquan Boldin, Vernon Davis, etc, etc, ...
The Madden curse is as real as the tooth fairy. If any of the above players had been on the cover, they would have been considered "cursed", since they weren't, it' just normal wear & tear or plain bad luck. Those who believe in curses probably believe the Harry Potter books are non-fiction.
But by all means feel free to be superstitous and don't draft him under any circumstances and leave him for those of us who live in the real world!!!
Image
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13579
(Past Year: 138)
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Steeler Nation!!!

Re: If Adrian Peterson is on Cover of Madden Next Yr, Draft Him?

Postby quitesanemax » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:06 am

stomperrob wrote:So if Vince is ailing becase of the Madden curse, what curse is on Deuce McAllister. Marc Bulger, Jake Delhomme, Matt Leinart, Steven Jackson, Laurence Maroney, Larry Johnson (oops, cancel - that curse was just rescinded), Carnell Williams, Javon Walker, Andre Johnson, Anquan Boldin, Vernon Davis, etc, etc, ...
The Madden curse is as real as the tooth fairy. If any of the above players had been on the cover, they would have been considered "cursed", since they weren't, it' just normal wear & tear or plain bad luck. Those who believe in curses probably believe the Harry Potter books are non-fiction.
But by all means feel free to be superstitous and don't draft him under any circumstances and leave him for those of us who live in the real world!!!


No disrespect intended, but what does any of these other players have to do with anything? No one was saying that only the player on the cover of Madden gets injured. So its just bad luck that every year the player on the cover of Madden gets injured. Last time I checked, in the real world this has been happening, so what real world do you live in? Hey, maybe your right though, maybe not. Maybe there is a God, maybe there isn't. Til there is a year that the player on the cover of Madden doesn't have a bad year, I have to believe what my eyes show me, and consider this when drafting... simple as that. Anyone who drafted Vince with a reasonably high draft pick deserves whatever they get from him... if that ends up being a good season (which is obviously still possible) then good for them. As for me, I'd rather not take the chance. I would have only taken him if he fell unreasonably low in the draft.

That being said, its silly asking what if such and such is on the cover of Madden next year. The season isn't even half way over...
quitesanemax
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 658
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 8 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Boston, MA.

Re: If Adrian Peterson is on Cover of Madden Next Yr, Draft Him?

Postby Goody » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:57 am

Drafting is all about risk/reward. Many guys in the league have something that is considered a risk, and the "madden curse" would be a risk that would be one. But the reward with a guy like peterson is too much to pass up. Coming out of college Peterson was "injury prone". But that doesn't mean he shouldn't be drafted. Palmer came off of a knee injury 2 years ago and that would be considered a risk, but many people didn't pass on him.

I am a non believer of the curse, but it is something that should be considered when drafting. I don't pass on someone just because they are on the cover. Luckily for me, I have never had a player that was on the cover of Madden when they got hurt.
Image
OKCHomers
OKCFFL Auction
Goody
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2413
Joined: 23 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Re: If Adrian Peterson is on Cover of Madden Next Yr, Draft Him?

Postby stomperrob » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:12 am

quitesanemax wrote:
stomperrob wrote:So if Vince is ailing becase of the Madden curse, what curse is on Deuce McAllister. Marc Bulger, Jake Delhomme, Matt Leinart, Steven Jackson, Laurence Maroney, Larry Johnson (oops, cancel - that curse was just rescinded), Carnell Williams, Javon Walker, Andre Johnson, Anquan Boldin, Vernon Davis, etc, etc, ...
The Madden curse is as real as the tooth fairy. If any of the above players had been on the cover, they would have been considered "cursed", since they weren't, it' just normal wear & tear or plain bad luck. Those who believe in curses probably believe the Harry Potter books are non-fiction.
But by all means feel free to be superstitous and don't draft him under any circumstances and leave him for those of us who live in the real world!!!


No disrespect intended, but what does any of these other players have to do with anything? No one was saying that only the player on the cover of Madden gets injured. So its just bad luck that every year the player on the cover of Madden gets injured. Last time I checked, in the real world this has been happening, so what real world do you live in? Hey, maybe your right though, maybe not. Maybe there is a God, maybe there isn't. Til there is a year that the player on the cover of Madden doesn't have a bad year, I have to believe what my eyes show me, and consider this when drafting... simple as that. Anyone who drafted Vince with a reasonably high draft pick deserves whatever they get from him... if that ends up being a good season (which is obviously still possible) then good for them. As for me, I'd rather not take the chance. I would have only taken him if he fell unreasonably low in the draft.

That being said, its silly asking what if such and such is on the cover of Madden next year. The season isn't even half way over...


Point being lots of big stars get injured (or have a down year) every year and no one thinks anything of it unless that player happens to be on the cover of Madden. So, with all these other players being injured, it's merely coincidence. And anyway, just who is this mythological creature responsible for this supposed curse???
Image
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13579
(Past Year: 138)
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Steeler Nation!!!

Re: If Adrian Peterson is on Cover of Madden Next Yr, Draft Him?

Postby biju » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:14 am

I wish everyone would just stop with this curse nonsense. It's not real people. Get it through your heads.
Image
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5941
Joined: 6 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Seattle - Ballard

Re: If Adrian Peterson is on Cover of Madden Next Yr, Draft Him?

Postby quitesanemax » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:30 pm

stomperrob wrote:
Point being lots of big stars get injured (or have a down year) every year and no one thinks anything of it unless that player happens to be on the cover of Madden. So, with all these other players being injured, it's merely coincidence. And anyway, just who is this mythological creature responsible for this supposed curse???


I think draftdodger's explanation is a plausible one. It doesn't need to be anything mythological... it can be psychological. It could be stress. Combined with some bad luck, who knows. But the point is that every year it has been the same old thing. If a player gets injured every year, you don't care why it happens. You just avoid him in the draft after it happens 2 or 3 times. So every year for a while now, the player on the cover of Madden has had a bad year... I don't care why it happens, I'm going to avoid that player in the draft. Why chance it when there are so many other players out there to choose. Again, if the guy is that much better than any other choice I have, then I will pick him. It hasn't happened yet. Yeah, the player I pick up in his place might get injured or do bad as well, but the Madden curse has been 100 percent lately.

One question I have is why do these players agree to be on the cover of Madden. If it were me, I"d say no way. I don't care how much money your going to give me. Lol.
quitesanemax
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 658
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 8 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Boston, MA.

Next

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 6:37 hours
(and 38 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact